Indian Science Congress: PM Addresses Key Issues

As he delivered the inaugural speech at the 103th Indian Science Congress at the University of Mysore, Prime Minister Narendra Modi maintained a fine balance between the need of innovation and the essence of using traditional methods while addressing an exclusive pool of scientists and technologists in the university campus today.

The PM promised that the pursuit of science in the country would be nurtured with more freedom and resources, but also urged scientists and researchers to pave ways for tackling climate change and the threats posed by alarming urbanization.

The theme of the meet is a very pertinent one – “Science and Technology for Indigenous Development in India”, and Mr Modi was wise in pointing out that the he needs to integrate science and technology with the choices that are made for the country. The land of villages can certainly provide traditional knowledge, and in the quest to harness this potential lies the secret of “economic, efficient, and environment-friendly solutions”.

Modi-Indian-Science-Congress
Going by his deep-rooted affinity for slogans, he coined the 5 E’s: Economy, Environment, Energy, Empathy, and Equity; and explained how each one of them is important for sustainable and rapid development.

Talking about energy, Mr Modi again mentioned the need for innovation in order to make energy “available, accessible and affordable”. This is essential for India if it is to accomplish its goal of 1875 gigawatt of renewable energy by 2022. He also stressed at the need of making fossil fuels like coal cleaner and more efficient, as well as working upon newer sources of energy.

In an important suggestion, the prime minister brought the attention to marine biology and biotechnology, and talked about the need to focus on an ocean economy. This is particularly important for a country like India with 1/10th water occupancy; and vast stretches of sea surrounding it. He announced the International Conference on “Ocean Economy and Pacific Island Countries” to be held in New Delhi this year.

Amidst concerns that low inputs for manufacturing might render the “Make in India” a mere slogan, Mr Modi was careful to incorporate the issue of viable business into the scheme of things. This, he mentioned, would be possible by uniting science, technology, and engineering under an umbrella of business opportunities, while keeping the 5 E’s in mind.

He also recalled the contributions of two key personalities: late president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, for his great scientific acumen and vision, and Albert Einstein, whose “The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity” completes hundred years since it was first published.

Source:Indian Science Congress: PM Modi inaugurates 103rd Indian Science Congress | India News - Times of India

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If spidey ever intended to have an aide this would be it. Not even walls can stop Disney’s and ETH Zurich’s new four-wheeled robot called VertiGo that can quickly transition...
In recent astrophysical and nuclear physics research, 'gravity' has played a major role in opening up a wide range of exciting new possibilities. Scientists have long faced difficulties to measure...
I HEARD THAT THE UPSC BOARD WILL CHANGE THE IES 2016 MECHANICAL PATTERN? PLEASE IF YOU KNOW REPLyY ME.. AND I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION IF I GET GOOD SCORE IN...
i am on my final's project on THE USE OF GREEN MATERIAL FOR CONSTRUCTION. i would really love some eBooks,links and suggestions.
TechCrunch says that the remote control will vanish in the next 5 years. Apparently, we'll have all the devices connected with each others via IoT (Internet of Things) or auto-controlled...