Indian movie gems

These recent days I have been thinking a lot about the masterpieces of the Indian film industry (this thought has been intensified when I came across an episode of a Marathi entertainment show promoting the latest Marathi movie- Sairaat). I have not seen this movie, but from the looks and promos, it seems to me like one of those masterpieces that will get utterly neglected. Just like Haider. I thought the film was pure 100% unadulterated magic, film-making at its pinnacle. And countless others. This recent thought made me start this thread where I wish to start mentioning hidden gems from Indian cinema (those that I know) and may be get the ball rolling, others can chip-in. I am a huge fan of cinema (the language does not bother me, I enjoy Tamil movies as much as I do Marathi and Hindi). Here goes:

1) Khamosh (1985): Genre: Mystery
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Vidhu Vinod Chopra, this one slapped me hard in the face. I have always thought of him more as a producer than a director, but this one impressed me no bounds. A very tight mystery with "actors". I found it mentioned on a list somewhere in the usual movie-hunt that I so often embark upon. A great watch if you can get your hands on it (I think this one is available on Youtube).

2) Ek Doctor Ki Maut (1990): Genre: Drama
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Tapan Sinha, this was a good watch for the portrayal of a scientist by Pankaj Kapoor. This might not be digested well by some, for it is what they referred to as parallel cinema back then (the boundaries between parallel and mainstream cinema have become very blur in recent times, for good). I liked it, but then I like slow-moving plots. I think it takes a director with real skill to keep the audience grooved with a slow plot. That does not imply I like all slow-paced movies, some are outright dull (thanks to bad direction and/or bad acting). Take this if you are comfortable with "parallel cinema".

3) No Smoking (2007): Genre: Thriller
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Anurag Kashyap, I am a big fan. This movie was a great box-office flop, which makes me what sort of measure of a film's excellence is the box-office anyway? Movies like Chennai Express do > 300 cr. and qualify as box-office successes and hence "hits" by extension. And a supremely intelligent and groundbreaking movie like No Smoking is a flop? I loved this film for two reasons: Firstly, it is a very dark movie, which has become synonymous with Anurag Kashyap. Secondly, the story-line is impeccably gripping, although adapted from a Stephen King short story, the making of that into a full length movie is real creative work. Watch it for the sheer cinematic brilliance and watch it for the confidence it oozes on the part of Anurag Kashyap for dealing with such a non-traditional and different movie. If only this movie was released today, with the Anurag Kashyap brand, it would also become a "box-office" "hit", but back then, all he had was pure talent. Too bad.

4) Aankhon Dekhi (2013): Genre: Drama
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed and written by Rajat Kapoor, this is a real gem. I am a very very very big fan of Coen Brothers, and watching this movie, it satisfied me no end. I somehow cannot describe it in words. There is a certain underlying sincerity to the film and I appreciate Rajat Kapoor for having the daring to make such a brave movie in times when the sole measure of a movie's calibre is how much money it makes on the "box-office". I have already watched this movie thrice and I am sure that would not be the last of it. A must watch for lovers of good cinema, watch this one for the extremely high cinematic excellence (camerawork, music, acting, basically everything). A bow the genius of Sanjay Mishra, what an actor! Usually wasted in comic roles (though he is superb with his comedy), hopefully this movie shows the film-makers what he is really capable of pulling.

5) Aadukalam (2011): Genre: Thriller
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Vetrimaran, this is a piece of art and your non-usual Tamil movie. This one is a National Award winner for Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actor, and all so well-deserved. This was one of the first Tamil movies I watched in Tamil (with subtitles). For non-Tamilians (and I apologize for this), it is a general conception that Tamil movies are all about style and physics-violating action. I very strongly disagree, all thanks to Aadukalam. This movie changed many of my notions and I realized how much of great (and I mean extremely rich in cinematic brilliance) cinema I have been missing! The Tamil film industry is not all about Sivaji and Robot (everybody loves Rajinikanth), but about Aadukalam, Anbe Sivan and Yuddham Sei (or Yutham Sei, I cannot tell which one is correct). The heroes of this movie are Dhanush and the story + screenplay. It is an edge of the seat thriller and I was amazed how the director maintained me on the edge of my seat even when I did not understand a word and had to read subtitles! I am a very big fan of Dhanush, in my opinion he is the next biggie of the Indian film industry (many may disagree but the guy is an actor, singer, writer, whatnot!). Non-Tamilians, watch this one to identify the power of good cinema that transcends linguistic barriers and tamilians, I am sure you have watched this one. This might be a hidden gem for me, but not for native Tamilians.

6) Yuddham Sei or Yutham Sei (2011): Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Myshkin, I have read that he is the Hitchcock of Tamil cinema (he makes mystery/thrillers) and all of his offerings so far have been great. Unfortunately, this is the only one I found with subtitles and boy, what a movie! I do not know any of the actors from this movie, but the real hero if the story-line and the way it was screen-played. I am a sucker for mysteries/thrillers and this one satisfied me. Without giving away too much, watch this one!

7) Deool (2011) : Genre: Drama
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Umesh Kulkarni, this is one of my favourite Indian movies, ever! This movie has story + sceenplay by Girish Kulkarni. Let me begin at the outset by declaring that I love Girish Kulkarni. It is because of artists like this guy that the Marathi film industry is looking towards a brighter future. He is a fantastic actor, watching Deool, you wont be able to imagine there exists a Girish Kulkarni outside of the village in the movie. That villager is all he is! There are very few actors who are capable of leaving an imprint like that of Girish Kulkarni. This movie is not so much of a hidden gem as it was widely received by the Marathi audience, but for non-Marathi speakers, this movie might prove to be a route to another universe. Watch this one for the acting, the simplicity of life, the complexity of depicting that simplicity of life, the complexity of faith and the simplicity of depicting that faith on screen. Kudos go to Umesh Kulkarni for being able to listen to the human psyche and being able to translate that into a motion film. Watch this one!

8) Masala (2012): Genre: Drama
Why I liked it (no spoilers): Directed by Sandesh Kulkarni, this one is again written and lead in acting by Girish Kulkarni. Watch this for the life and times of a couple trying to scrape through life. The genius of this movie comes from the humorous depiction of the harsh reality of life for the couple. A very positive movie, needless to say with great performance from Girish Kulkarni and Amruta Subhash. Again, not so much of a hidden gem for native Marathi guys, but might prove an excellent watch for non-marathi speaking people.

Note: I do not wish to hurt any sentiments with my list, I love all movies, all languages. Please take this list for what it is - an attempt to celebrate good art.

There is the first post, chip-in your hidden gems too.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What a gem of a post! It's been long since such posts appeared regularly on CE.
    Had heard about Aadukalam and for no reason postponed watching it. It's the next one on my list for sure. 😀 A big fan of Dhanush. Whatever little work I've seen by him, I have always been impressed.
    And.. Masala! Never heard of this movie, even though I do follow new marathi movies. Checking this one too!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello!!! iam Abhijeet in 3rd year pursuing my degree in computer science.I aim to be in BMW. what should i do? what are the fields of CS or softwares they...
Microsoft launches a workflow automation SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) service, Flow, which can create workflows between various apps and services, such as Office 365, OneDrive, Dropbox, Twitter and so on. Flow can...
I am a B.Sc. (CS) graduate. Its a 3 years course. I want am interested in PG-DAC and PG-DMC. I am not interested in any other courses. I have all...
While a proper smartwatch from Xiaomi arrives in the second half of 2016, the company has launched a smartwatch for kids. Just like its other products the Xiaomi Mi Bunny...
Often poorly understood, the Terahertz non-ionizing radiation falls under the electromagnetic spectrum and is placed in between infrared and microwave radiation. Owing to its properties, the fields of medical imaging,...