India Gets Offline Google Maps : Navigate Without Data Connection

Offline Google Maps are now available for all the maps users in India; and that's a wonderful update from Google. Google Maps product manager, Sanket Gupta wrote on the official Google blog that the offline maps are now available to every Android user in India; and also promised that iOS users will get it very soon. You needed an active data connection to access the maps on the go. But now, you can simply download the map of your area and use it without 2G / 3G or 4G connection.

The requirement of an active data connection would render Google Maps useless in the areas where the connection is spotty. The Google Maps app will now let you download and store the map on your phone so that you can quickly access it on the go.

Gupta further informed that the offline maps support turn by turn navigation - where the app would give you voice instructions about the turns you need to take and how far your destination is. You will of course be able to search for the destinations and also get information about useful locations on your way.

Google-Maps-Offline

Downloading the map on your phone is easy. All you need to do is search for the specific city or area in the app and then tap 'Download'. You can even store multiple maps in the 'Offline Areas' section of the app (available in the Maps menu).

The app will access the offline map at the places where the it can't find data connection and switch to the online version automatically so that you get access to all the latest information such as traffic updates on your current route. Note that the offline maps will work on the Wi-Fi connections.

Google had previewed the new capabilities of the Maps app at the Google I/O 2015 @ California - May 28, 29; Only For The Lucky Ones back in May. It's now began rolling the new set of features globally. Gupta promised to bring new features to offline maps in the coming days.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Ahem..When on iOS...?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Divyaprakash
    Ahem..When on iOS...?
    In about a month or two is my best guess.
  • Bhaskar R
    Bhaskar R
    This will be a biggest advantage for Indian people then
  • srikanth senani
    srikanth senani
    good one
  • she5ik
    she5ik
    finally got it !!! gonna be very useful for me as i live in new city.... and this data connection going off at some places i use to get stuck... now no more 🎉
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Most awaited update just few weeks back I needed this badly and can't do anything.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have completed engineering in Electronics with 58% aggregate, I am not getting any job, Should i opt for CDAC course or should i still keep searching job. I have...
Suggest some good sources. Most of them contains 10-12 web pages and tutorial is over. Are there any serious websites where i can learn the concept like we find in...
*Note: Not necessary to answer all the question. even one answer is highly appreciated. Hi guys, I am currently seeking a correct approach of getting the reaction force developed on...
Hello, Need a piece of advise on career. I'm a BE (ECE) 2012 graduate and have worked as a Technical Support Engineer for Printers & Scanners team in MNC for...
Microsoft engineers are working on making their search app 'Bing' faster and better. A couple of days back, they released the Bing for iPhone app (version 6.0) on the Apple...