In the minds of Instrumentation Engineer

As an instrumentation engineer, there are few things that we need to know to work in our workplace. the major thing being the process of the plant in which we work. it can be a small shopfloor to a huge oil field. We may be part of a product development group which develops automation products for machines or we may be part of the design and development team which does the detailed engineering for a plant likte sugar plant, power plant, O&G plant, etc. Our job lies somewhere in every aspect of a process as long as it need process control. to control, maintain and sustain process through instruments, we need to understand the process which gives a better edge in the work we do. Instrumentation has its reach from simple valve on/off control to comples logic implementation for closed loop analysis which puts the instrumentation team in control of the whole process. there is also the usage of PLC/DCS in recent times to ease the plant operations which again is partof the instrumentation team's job as only an instrument engineer knows about the process in and out. So an instrumentation engineer should know: 1. process 2. calibration and measurement 3.DCS/PLC 4. PID control analysis and tuning.

Replies

• barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    recently i m making a terminologies/Glossary page which will contain the usual jargons which we use in Automation/PLC/DCS/Instrumentation industry. List is not complete but it contains a brief of many daily used terms. might prove useful to someone trying to understand the instrumentation industry.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Any comments on these lines are welcome.

P.S spare the ads on the site... I'm trying out some free ads stuff...
  • Akshay Akki9
    Akshay Akki9
    Hello#-Link-Snipped-#
    friend as a fresher there is confusion to select good field as a career. Is Industrial automation good choice for making career? are there quiet job available in India??? In India automation have a scope?
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    Hi sorry for the late reply...
    the automation business is going good.. There is a lot of scope in it that too at a time when Make In India is going on. Industrial Automation thrives mostly on Projects and as long as projects are running its very awesome... Industrial Automation also forms a niche group of people.
    Btw whats your background? Instrumentation, Electrical , Computer Science?
    If you have options, passion and ideas in your field of expertise then go ahead in that field. Finding a job in the plants, factory shopfloors, Automation system house or major Automation companies are tougher.
  • Niraj_shah
    Niraj_shah
    hi... bobgalle
    I am a fresher in Electronics & Instrumentation Engg. so what opportunity do i have in India and in which field, and aslo i want to know that whether i will go for a course in automation PLC if yes then in which institute will be the best so that i will be assured to get placed. plz reply..
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    sorry for late reply.. have little time to come online.. btw.. oppurtunity is there for job market vs renumeration is not equal as other sectors (true fact).. you can start off taking PLC training courses of 2-3 months along with which you need to have someidea about basic electric circuits.

Also placements into companies always is good for your engg college and trying to get from outside is a far fetch.
    There are lot of power plants, sugar plants, paper plants, cement, etc where you can start off as intern/trainee and build up your career from there.
    Lot of system houses (small companies which take small projects which are too small for big companies in terms of margin) provide a huge amount of opportunity and exposure for freshers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

@Sharvari Panchbhai has been working with us since last few months and has brought renewed vigor to the VoiCE team. Wishing you a very happy birthday, mate. 🎉 Make it...
It's now quite possible that you go for your usual stroll in the park accompanied by your two-legged robot friend. Yep. A team of engineers from Oregon State University (OSU)...
Priced at $80 (~Rs. 5100), the new Android Kitkat smartphone Lenovo A3900 has been unveiled in China. The Dual SIM phone comes in two colours black and pearl white and...
Prof. Mark Ryan and his research team at the University of Birmingham have developed a system called 'Du-Vote' that lets citizens cast their election vote online. Thanks to their latest...
INC-29 is now the only document required to start a new company or business in India. The ministry of corporate affairs has introduced a major reform that cut downs the...