iMac 27" With 5K (5120 x 2880) Retina Display Coming In October

Apple's not forgotten the big machines while focusing on the wearables and smartphones. The latest rumor in the web-space hints at possible launch of 27" iMac with 5K resolution retina display, that is 5120 x 2880; double that of the resolution offered on the displays of current generation of iMac. The event is likely to be scheduled towards last week of October but there is no official confirmation yet. This update comes from JackGMarch.com – My WordPress Blog, who informs that only the 27" model will get the updated display and the 21" models will have to wait till next year.

March further suggests that the new big machines will have exactly same dimensions as the current generation of iMac but will not have the USB Type-C port. The only difference expected is with the display and the processor. The top line iMac is expected to boast an Intel i7-4790K with clock speed of 4 GHz. While Apple's sticking to Haswell line of processors for the current launch, the switch to Intel's Broadwell processors is likely next year.

apple-imac-5k-display

The display in the new iMac is expected to be powered by AMD GPUs; which is going to be a shift from nVIDIA, which powers the graphics in current generation of iMacs. The rumors have been hinting at Apple working on a 12" retina display powered Macbook Air machines as well. We however do not know whether Apple will announce the new Air machines at their upcoming press event.

There's no mention of the price yet but it's no brainer that the new 5K Retina Display iMac is going to cost more than the current generation of iMac. We'd love to hear from the Apple enthusiasts.

Replies

• Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Hmm. I wonder if this too bends!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Divyaprakash
    Hmm. I wonder if this too bends!
    I'm curious too. You should totally buy it and then try to bend it.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm curious too. You should totally buy it and then try to bend it.
    Good idea. Will try after few couple of years 😉
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    We'd love to hear from the Apple enthusiasts.
    This is about spec and pushing the limit. Photography people going to bleed for this gadget.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There were several broken hearts in India who could not buy the Xiaomi Mi3 phone. Some settled for the Redmi 1s while some decided to wait. However, Flipkart and Xiaomi...
Wearable electronics or wearables come in all shape and sizes. While most of them are meant to be worn on your wrists, a Silicon Valley based company called MOTA has...
Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella is in India and has made an important announcement - the company will set up data centers in 3 cities in India to deliver its cloud...
Quote: Engineers at Carnegie Mellon University’s Robotics Institute have developed programmable smart headlights that sense surrounding objects could allow drivers to use their high beams without blinding surrounding drivers or...
Quote: Did you know that the first plastic, Bakelite, was invented by accident? It was created by Dr. Leo Baekeland who was trying to find an alternative to the shellac-based...