If time machine will be invented in future, shouldn't it be here now?

I know that's a crazy question, but still I would like to know what CEans opine about this.
If you believe that time travel will be possible someday, do you think we have some future-people visiting us already? Or do you think may be the time-machine is made perfectly invisible to avoid anyone of us seeing it? ๐Ÿ˜•

What do CEans think?

Replies

• whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    May be only future travel will be possible!
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Stephen hawking actually asked the same question. Did you know that he even organised a party(June 28th 2009) for the time travellers and sadly no one turned up.
    Stephen Hawking held a party for time-travellers - but no-one turned up... | Daily Mail Online
    Some scientists even believe that time travelling existed and the people who travelled in time were advised to camouflage their identities and go along with the people in their time.(but, I do not believe this is true). Stephen hawking has also given a detailed account on time travelling. Interested CEans can go through this.
    STEPHEN HAWKING: How to build a time machine | Daily Mail Online
    Many believe that time travelling can be only possible if the concept of parallel universe is true, because the absence of parallel universes will lead to many paradoxes,like Grandfather paradox.
    In my opinion time travelling is not impossible,but just possible. Yes, my instinct says that time travelling is true and it's present in future and just because of the concept of parallel universe they are travelling into another universe whose timeline is in phase with ours but it's not ours. ๐Ÿ˜€. Yes it may also be considered that only future travel is possible.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    There have been reports. A famous one is of this man who was found near the Large Hadron Collider claiming he's from the future. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Smriti Jha
    There have been reports. A famous one is of this man who was found near the Large Hadron Collider claiming he's from the future. #-Link-Snipped-#
    Wow.! Very hard to believe it(very queer). Did it happen in 2010? I don't think it rocked the "news" or "papers",did it CEans? Is this true or is it the work of a psychopath? This can even be like the "UFO sightings" claims.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    if this is true man has time machines in the future do no how long to wait for it though
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yeah, i heard about this guy claiming that he is from future. But i guess it was just a publicity stunt or maybe they hid him to keep it a secret....๐Ÿ˜’
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Naw, most are for lulz.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    why was there no uproar why was it kept silent
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Maybe, they wanted it to be a secret. Just like the "Men in black" organisation(not the movie.Actually the movie is inspired from the original group of people with their own added fiction flavour) which "hushed" the people who claimed to have seen the UFO's or aliens.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    On the other hand, wrt what Ankita asked, it's not implausible to assume that if they can travel in time, they can probably do a lot more too.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    cool living ina world full of mysteries
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Please, can you pin this Thread so it can become an ever-time discussion?
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Smriti Jha
    On the other hand, wrt what Ankita asked, it's not implausible to assume that if they can travel in time, they can probably do a lot more too.
    True.๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Smriti Jha
    true to an extent our men now have not done it but hope our future has a key which holds it together
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I love where this discussion is headed. โ˜• Keep the replies coming, folks!
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Oh, by the way, now that we are discussing this at length (Brilliant!) it was proven (proven?) by scientists in 2011 that time travel isn't possible as a direct conclusion of the failure of neutrinos to outrace light.

Simply put, nothing can travel faster than light. So, how can a time machine?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    i find this interesting guys

check out if quantum oscillations can generate universe time travelling is possible

#-Link-Snipped-#

this link will help you know about quantum oscillations
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Smriti Jha
    Oh, by the way, now that we are discussing this at length (Brilliant!) it was proven (proven?) by scientists in 2011 that time travel isn't possible as a direct conclusion of the failure of neutrinos to outrace light.

the point is energy difference prevents it from happening

but if the energy used is some thing which is called the dark energy

which is very clearly explained in the my previous link this is possible
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    I toppled over an interesting news, which is seemingly impossible. Do you believe this news CEans? What say?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Smriti Jha

I don't have in-depth knowledge in this stuff but I would like to ask a question. What about the "god particle"?. I remember that they are massless particles which is ubiquitous and gives mass to others, so what about their velocity? What if they can be used to reduce the mass given to the neutrinos such that it's speed is increased way above the speed of light? Just a stupid doubt. Somebody please correct me if I am completely wrong.! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Ah, will check the lecture.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    holographic tech i doubt had so much power then my man back in 1960's even today it is still developing but i can't say it is a lie either
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    vinod1993
    I don't have in-depth knowledge in this stuff but I would like to ask a question. What about the "god particle"?. I remember that they are massless particles which is ubiquitous and gives mass to others, so what about their velocity? What if they can be used to reduce the mass given to the neutrinos such that it's speed is increased way above the speed of light? Just a stupid doubt. Somebody please correct me if I am completely wrong.! ๐Ÿ˜€

no one is wrong here boson can be used as they are the smallest to have been found if you go through that lecture you will find out about dark energy and dark particle they have more energy than any thing else in this world if we trace them out i think we could break relativity
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    vinod1993
    Hmm. Higgs Boson imparts mass to particles in the manner of resistance. If there is no mass, there is no resistance, which should mean it will be in motion or travel forever (Zero Friction). Now, I'm no Physics graduate but this is what I gather.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Smriti Jha
    Hmm. Higgs Boson imparts mass to particles in the manner of resistance. If there is no mass, there is no resistance, which should mean it will be in motion or travel forever (Zero Friction). Now, I'm no Physics graduate but this is what I gather.
    Oh. Is my perception wrong? Do you mean zero friction and infinite travel time with constant velocity or variable velocity?
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Badly hoping that #-Link-Snipped-# sir will come to our rescue.! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    the problem is it is a particle and so is limited to relativity theory but a non particle or purer form of energy can be used more effectively in time travelling
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    tagging in some most common friends and life savers #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am not much of a traveller. Though as part of my work, I have had to go all over the world. I am deeply thankful that time travel seems to be like perpetual motion.
    AKD's tiltle for the thread has to be considered seriously. If time travel were ever (even in the distant future) possible, why have we not been visited by our great great grand children?
    One thing to be kept in mind is that such a machine travels in time, not space. So let us do a thought experiment. Pretend that the chair we are now sitting on is a time machine. Let us travel just one second into the past. We will still be on the chair in front of the computer because the time machine does not travel in space. The monitor should show a time one second less.

Right? May be not.

The earth rotates at nearly 1600 km/hr near the equator. The chair would have moved about 400 m in that one second (along with the rest of the earth). The earth would have moved about 30 km in its orbit around the sun. The sun would have moved about 250 km in its orbit around the centre of the milky way. The milky way itself would have moved about 600 km in its travel.
    So in that one second the chair (with us) would have gone about 900 km ahead of where it was one second back, leaving the rest of the world intact.

The implication of this is that even if time travel happens, one can never find anything of the old life.

While this is all very interesting, here are some papers about Bosons and the LHC experiments.
    Quote:
    All five papers are #-Link-Snipped-# and free of charge (pun intended) from ScienceDirect.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    and finally,
    Peter Higgs' original paper (dated 15 September, 1964) in which he proposes the existence of new field which accounts for the origin of mass. Both the field and the particle (which mediates it) eventually came to be named after him:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Tomorrow (Sept 15) marks the 48th year since the paper's initial publication in Physics Letters.
    Endquote

Posted by europium in CR4: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    one basic question:

even if the time machine was to be invented right at this moment , then how would you go about doing it ?

but then, even if a time machine was created , the concept of time and age would be destroyed.

if this machine, enables us to go back to the past, than births and deaths can always be prevented, and thus life would become monotonous.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    zaveri
    one basic question:

even if the time machine was to be invented right at this moment , then how would you go about doing it ?

but then, even if a time machine was created , the concept of time and age would be destroyed.

if this machine, enables us to go back to the past, than births and deaths can always be prevented, and thus life would become monotonous.

a great reason to ponder about before trying this out
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    zaveri
    one basic question:
    if this machine, enables us to go back to the past, than births and deaths can always be prevented, and thus life would become monotonous.?
    You must have heard about the grandfather paradox. If not check this. abyss.uoregon.edu
    So,even if time travel is possible what you say is not possible.
    zaveri
    I think their age would be freezed when you travel at the speed of light. i.e. you would not age at all when you time travel. Ah, I remember this one, it's called twin paradox.
    Twin Paradox (from Einstein Light: relativity in film clips and animations).
    I have heard about the existence of parallel universes to support the idea of time travelling. Can someone elaborate it a bit? please.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    And MIT physicists have found a way to tackle the "grandfather paradox" hurdle to travel in past through time. Check this out. #-Link-Snipped-#
    I dont understand it though.!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Crazy discussion! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

(Space reserved here incase my future does want to travel back and comment on this (my present)) ๐Ÿ˜
  • lal
    lal
    I was wondering, if some one was to do a time travel, in which direction would they go? ๐Ÿ˜ North, east, south, west or dive in to a black hole? ๐Ÿ˜

*well, I am aware that this post makes no sense* ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Well, before one can talk about possibility of time-travel, one needs to understand what is TIME? The possibility and all related paradoxes can be resolved only once we do that.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Smriti Jha
    @#-Link-Snipped-# totally awesome response this be.

In reference to this post and what @#-Link-Snipped-# and @#-Link-Snipped-# has written in the replies -

Time is something the conscious mind creates to make sense of itself. Otherwise, there is no time. There is only now.
    I've read a theory that if a time machine is invented in the future then we will only be able to travel back as far as the exact moment it was switched on. I can't remember the whole thing but it ended up getting quite scientific, also it would explain why we know of no time travelers yet.
    Anyone here read about it?

Also, time travel always brings this question to the minds of the curious -

1204992-comic2_1158
  • Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Even if Time Machine is invented in future. The presence of people in future might change the future in negative way... that can be one of the regions that we are not getting guests from future....
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    vinod1993
    Oh. Is my perception wrong? Do you mean zero friction and infinite travel time with constant velocity or variable velocity?
    I agree with @#-Link-Snipped-# and actually time is always relative,so I think it would be variable velocity.
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Ankita Katdare
    I know that's a crazy question, but still I would like to know what CEans opine about this.
    If you believe that time travel will be possible someday, do you think we have some future-people visiting us already? Or do you think may be the time-machine is made perfectly invisible to avoid anyone of us seeing it? ๐Ÿ˜•

What do CEans think?
    May be time travelling to past is not invented yet in the future.๐Ÿ˜จ
    Because,atleast there are scientific (may become possible) theories to time travel to future.(like increasing the speed of a train or anything to the speed of light , we can travel to future).
    But when we want to know about travelling back in time , we always stuck up at paradoxes or wormholes or cosmic strings (which are all imaginary and unstable theories).May be that's why there are no visitors from future.๐Ÿ˜•
  • lal
    lal
    May be because it is not possible at all! But just a myth.
  • Shyam_puzzle
    Shyam_puzzle
    that's a very intriguing thought Ankita!

don't think i have anything new to add here, just that this post reminded me of the discussion that i had on a movie where the hero travels back in time n witnesses his own murder. And guess who witnesses it?! The hero's child version!! "Does the child grow up, get sent back in time n die again so that loop continues" was the topic of discussion.

@#-Link-Snipped-#

Guess, what it means is If we do get sent back in time, nothing can be changed; it would end up more like watching a movie, only that these will be moments from history. Else grandfather's paradox cannot be avoided.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    vinod1993
    And MIT physicists have found a way to tackle the "grandfather paradox" hurdle to travel in past through time. Check this out. #-Link-Snipped-#
    I dont understand it though.!
    Time travel avoids grandfather paradox. Well, that's pretty much logical. Because when we time travel, we follow alternative timeline concept in which when you change the past, you create an alternative history not change your own(like what they show in movies).
    Unless you're not able to connect two different timelines (i.e original one & alternative one) to our present (present timeline) (using some kinda portal, i guess), it's fail.

Which means you surely can't change the present timeline, but yeah you can time travel to past & give another alternative ending. But that can only be done if you can connect both the timelines.

Dang, this is crazy!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are more ramifications to time travel. What is the speed of time travel? How long does it take to travel back one year? Another year, an hour, a second or instantaneous?
    The other more serious issue is that the time machine is not travelling in space. Even assuming an instantaneous movement of say one year in time, the traveller has covered a lot of distance (along with the earth) in that one year. The poor mutt will find himself that he is way, way off from the earth of one year back.
    What is more, how do we know that nothing else is occupying that space a year back? If something else, say another heavenly body, was in that location what would happen to the time machine?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    How long does it take to travel back one year?
    Why does this sound like an interesting question all of a sudden to me? I never thought of the 'time' required to travel to a destination in time? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • lal
    lal
    That is very interesting!

If the time required to travel back = time travelled back, that would turn in to an infinite loop ๐Ÿ˜ Interesting! Time travel lockout!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    That is very interesting!

If the time required to travel back = time travelled back, that would turn in to an infinite loop ๐Ÿ˜ Interesting! Time travel lockout!
    Specially if time machine was invented in 30875 AD or something ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A.V.Ramani
    There are more ramifications to time travel. What is the speed of time travel? How long does it take to travel back one year? Another year, an hour, a second or instantaneous?
    The other more serious issue is that the time machine is not travelling in space. Even assuming an instantaneous movement of say one year in time, the traveller has covered a lot of distance (along with the earth) in that one year. The poor mutt will find himself that he is way, way off from the earth of one year back.
    What is more, how do we know that nothing else is occupying that space a year back? If something else, say another heavenly body, was in that location what would happen to the time machine?
    With relativistic time dilation, assuming the time machine is traveling at the speed of light, the clocks would stagnate with reference to any external observer, and as such no matter how far you want to travel back in time, you (as a traveler) would always reach there instantly. As an external observer, you will appear to travel for as many years as you want to travel BACK in time. You will not feel the difference in you clock ticking as a traveler of the time machine, for you everything will be exactly the same as it was before getting on to the time machine, just that you would reach everywhere before your clock can make a move.

Refer "Time Dilation".
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We are not talking about time dilation but time travel. What are the issues if someone in Mumbai on 1/1/2015 and tries to reach 1/1/2013 in the same place.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I was responding to your comment on " What is the speed of time travel? How long does it take to travel back one year? Another year, an hour, a second or instantaneous?"

I should have quoted just that much portion. Unfortunately, I cannot quote on CE. It never gets selected ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Agha Abdul Rahman
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    Ankita Katdare

What do CEans think?
    I think time machine will never be invented because if time machine will be invented than there will no any past , present and future.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    I think time machine will never be invented because if time machine will be invented than there will no any past , present and future.
    Nope, there will always be present, past and future. You will just be able to travel back in time, but in a time-line parallel to the one you're visiting.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    I was responding to your comment on " What is the speed of time travel?
    That is the nub. In the Einsteinian mechanics, there is time dilation, length compression (only in the dimension of movement) and mass increase. Since speed of light is the limit in this, time comes to a stand still at c, which means the traveler is always in the present.
    I do not believe that going >c is possible. So negative time, that is going to the past, is unlikely. Assuming that it were, then there would be a rate of such regression, which may well be defined (not necessarily) by an equation similar to the time dilation one of Einstein.
    Traveling to the future is a no brainer. All of us are doing that right now. From 1939 I have come to 2014. However, it is a one way street. I cannot go back to 1939.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A.V.Ramani
    That is the nub. In the Einsteinian mechanics, there is time dilation, length compression (only in the dimension of movement) and mass increase. Since speed of light is the limit in this, time comes to a stand still at c, which means the traveler is always in the present.
    I do not believe that going >c is possible. So negative time, that is going to the past, is unlikely. Assuming that it were, then there would be a rate of such regression, which may well be defined (not necessarily) by an equation similar to the time dilation one of Einstein.
    Traveling to the future is a no brainer. All of us are doing that right now. From 1939 I have come to 2014. However, it is a one way street. I cannot go back to 1939.

Well, since a time machine essentially has to travel at speeds > c (which I romantically believe is possible), I must say that it is hard to believe that time regression would follow lesser dilation at speeds > c than it did at speed = c. That is, if time freezes at c, I think (I can be wrong) it will stay frozen at speeds > c. That's why I said, if traveling to the past in a time machine, the traveler will reach instantly. But that is a very good point, one I did not give much attention until you mentioned, the dilation/non-dilation of time at speeds > c.

As for travel to the future, I totally agree with you.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    That is, if time freezes at c, I think (I can be wrong) it will stay frozen at speeds > c.
    You are right in that time for the traveler stops at c.
    The dilation factor is:
    [โ€‹IMG]

When v=c gamma becomes 1/(1-1)^0.5 which is infinity.
    This is the Lorentz factor.
    Since nothing can be more than infinity time cannot become negative.
    If v>c, we get a square root of a negative quantity, which is imaginary.
    Unless there is some other relationship for time dilation if v>c, which is not known as of now.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    This is a God given act that are for the Angels only to insure this realms reality has a chance to exist in Gods light. But if man steps out to far and creates the down fall of man. God has instructed the Angels to step away. And the planet and this realm will go on with out mans existence or dominance. This is the truth of the matter.

Time in reality doesn't exist.

Damm A V your smart. lol
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Don Ross
    This is a God given act that are for the Angels only to insure this realms reality has a chance to exist in Gods light. But if man steps out to far and creates the down fall of man. God has instructed the Angels to step away. And the planet and this realm will go on with out mans existence or dominance. This is the truth of the matter.

Time in reality doesn't exist.

Damm A V your smart. lol
    If god didnt want man to go down a spiral, he would have stopped the Manhattan project, have never allowed Hitler to be born, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is not god, not angels, but the one and only - Free Will.

We have allowed ourselves to be blinded by all this for a very looong time. It is time we realize there is only one god - Love.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is it necessary to provide family details like mothers name, fathers name, religion, fathers profession etc? Some of the students in my college have mentioned it.
hi CEan can anyone tell me which books should i prefer for DATA WAREHOUSING and DATA MINING except anahory murray ---------->DWH pang- ning Tan / vipin kumar/ michael steinvach ------>...
The government seems to be eager to sell India to the multi-national companies. The government has finally allowed foreign direct investment ( FDI ) in the retail sector in India....
Today, 15th September is celebrated as Engineers' Day in India in the memory of the legendary engineer - Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya. I wish all CEans a very happy engineers day...
Happy Engineers' Day - folks! Today is a special day and a special Absolute Zero comics dedicated to all the crazy engineers!