IES 2017 Syllabus And Pattern Change Information

As per the official declaration and notice from UPSC, IES ESE (Engineering Services Examination) 2017 is getting a new pattern and syllabus is being changed a bit.
Please note that the changes will be applicable from the year 2017 onwards. (not 2016!)

Here is a brief report of the changes -
In Stage I there will be two papers:
  1. General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper (2 hours) - 200 Marks
  2. Engineering Discipline Specific Paper (3 hours) - 300 Marks.
Total Marks: 500
Stage I is mandatory for all applicants and minimum qualifying marks have not yet been declared.

In Stage II there will be two papers:
  1. Engineering Discipline Specific Paper I (3 hours) - 300 Marks.
  2. Engineering Discipline Specific Paper II (3 hours) - 300 Marks.
Total Marks: 600
Stage II is mandatory for all applicants and minimum qualifying marks have not yet been declared.

In Stage III there will be two papers:
  • Personality Test - 200 marks
Total Marks: 200
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total:
500 + 600 + 200 = 1300 Marks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For details about the IES Exam visit: IES 2017 - Exam Date | Application Form | Registration | How to Apply

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    UPSC IES Syllabus reforms notice download here:
  • Fayazz5555
    Fayazz5555
    thank you !
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For those looking for it, I have uploaded the new renewed syllabus for IES 2017 branch wise here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • chestha
    chestha
    I want to know the old topics being omitted and new topics included in the syllabus for both stage 1 and 2
  • chestha
    chestha
    I want to know whether stage 1 is required to clear for stage 2 or stage 1 and 2 combined are required to clear for stage 3?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    chestha
    I want to know whether stage 1 is required to clear for stage 2
    Yes.
    chestha
    stage 1 and 2 combined are required to clear for stage 3
    Yes.
    For comparing the syllabus, we will have to go through topic wise list for older and new syllabus. Major topics remain the same.
  • Poonam Mourya
    Poonam Mourya
    hiii
    Ankita Ma'am Myself Poonam I am third year engineering student I just wanted to know that am I eligible for IES2017 my age is 02/06/1996 will u plz advice me a little
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    poonam mourya
    hiii
    Ankita Ma'am Myself Poonam I am third year engineering student I just wanted to know that am I eligible for IES2017 my age is 02/06/1996 will u plz advice me a little
    Yes. Absolutely. Your age will be 21 on 01-Aug-2017, so you can take the IES 2017 exam. Not 2016.
  • Poonam Mourya
    Poonam Mourya
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. Absolutely. Your age will be 21 on 01-Aug-2017, so you can take the IES 2017 exam. Not 2016.
    thank u Ma'am for advice
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
  • rahulranjan24x07
    rahulranjan24x07
    Hello Ankita Mam,
    I am Rahul and presently in my final year of B.E. Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
    I was going through the changes in the ESE pattern of 2017.
    I also read in one of the links that the prelims would be held in second week of February.
    In such a case what (if any) changes should we bring for preparation of ESE 2017.

Thank You for our time and concern.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    rahulranjan24x07
    In such a case what (if any) changes should we bring for preparation of ESE 2017.
    There are no major changes in the preparation other than the change in syllabus. You need to go through the entire new syllabus and just pick out what's new and work on the accordingly. There are no other special instructions as of now.
  • rahulranjan24x07
    rahulranjan24x07
    Thank you for the guidance
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Application form link for IES 2016: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • NIKHIL PATHAK
    NIKHIL PATHAK
    Hello mam, my self nikhil,
    can u please help me to know the standard books(author or publication) for different topics (10 nos.) for Stage 1 exam preparation??
    my email : #-Link-Snipped-#
    I shall be highly obliged.
    thanx
  • SHRIJIT SINGH
    SHRIJIT SINGH
    Ankita Katdare
    For those looking for it, I have uploaded the new renewed syllabus for IES 2017 branch wise here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Nabin Bhuyan
    Nabin Bhuyan
    mam ,in ies 2017 for civil engineering english i inluded or not
  • Bhavani Chandra
    Bhavani Chandra
    Ma'am My date of birth is 23/12/1995 and I'm a 3rd year 2nd semester student? Am I eligible for IES 2016?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Bhavani chandra
    Ma'am My date of birth is 23/12/1995 and I'm a 3rd year 2nd semester student? Am I eligible for IES 2016?
    You will not be of age 21 on 1st August 2016. So, you are not eligible for IES 2016.
  • Rakshith Appaiah H S
    Rakshith Appaiah H S
    Hello Mam

I'am Rakshith from Bangalore. I was actually planning on writing the IES2017. After going through the present syllabus especially for Stage 1, there are 10 particular topics to go through. Could you please be able to help out with how to go about preparing for those 10 points???
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It will be difficult to share information on each, could you list down the 10 points here so that we all can discuss them here one by one?
  • Rakshith Appaiah H S
    Rakshith Appaiah H S
    #-Link-Snipped-# : so the 10 points will look something like this!! got this from quora (Amith singh) Check this link as well

#-Link-Snipped-#

Paper -1:- This paper is common for all the candidates. The questions asked will be from general studies and engineering aptitude, thus setting the stage for further competition.Although the general studies still remains the part of paper-1 , its scope has been severely curtailed. There is no separate syllabus for general studies and engineering aptitude. In all, there is combined syllabus given for paper-1. For GS portion , the syllabus given is "Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development", this almost negates the necessity of old pattern of static GS portion from NCERT. But the problem is that we can't make this presumption about UPSC that everything will be from what it has given as syllabus. So , over the course of one year , at-least one reading can be given to NCERT books for basic understanding. This new pattern has heavily increased the importance of newspaper reading. Even you will be required to make notes from newspaper on a daily basis so that you understand the issues at hand. How to make notes from newspaper is a tricky affair. It will take some time to understand the relevance of news from examination point of view. This [Strategy] How to prepare Current Affairs from Newspapers in Less than one hour for UPSC IAS IPS CSAT Exam » Mrunal will help you to grasp the techniques of note making from newspaper.

Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability: This should be manageable at the level of aspirants himself. You can also follow Mrunal » Competitive exams Preparation because he has lot of resources on this topic which he gives for other exam but it may be relevant here too. Logical reasoning and analytical ability should not be a big issue for any average engineer. You can buy any decent book from market , or wait for coaching institutes to release their material

Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis : We all study this subject in first year of our colleges. Also , this topic is included in GATE examination for every branch. Pick up your first year books and start preparation now. Those who are in their first year of college should take this subject seriously.

General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety: Civil and mechanical engineers study design and drawing in second year of their course so your friends in this department will helping you to get through this subject. I think coaching institutes will bring out study material as soon as possible

Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services: This belongs to the domain of Production and Civil engineers. Those who are still in graduation should really look into others branches as well.

Basics of Energy and Environment: This is the primary domain of Civil and Environmental engineers. In fact, environmental engineering takes the lead here.

Basics of Project Management: Again this is topic straight from civil engineering like CPM and PERT.

Basics of Material Science and Engineering: Every branch has this subjects , so each aspirants should study books of other department

Information and Communication Technologies: This is the domain of Computer Science and IT department. Apart from just using Facebook and WhatsApp try to learn the IT structure of these applications, atleast of those which you use regularly.

Ethics and values in Engineering profession: Here this most important question "Why did you become an engineer". What are the core values of an 'engineer'? How will you serve the society in this profession.?

Right now there is no study material which comprehensively covers all the topics of Paper-1. We will have to wait few months before the materials are out in the market. I will also try to update this article with the relevant links from other websites. At present, you will have to manage yourself till coaching institutes do their job. #-Link-Snipped-# is a good website to start learning basics of core engineering. UPSC wants you to study basics of almost every core branch and acquire interdisciplinary skills so that in future you will be better able to communicate with officers from other department.

You should be able to appreciate the technicalities of other branches of engineering. You should not shouldn't study in isolation. Take interest in basics of other department. Make friends from diverse background of specialization. After few months, coaching institutes will flood the market with study material for above topics. At this juncture, you will have to arrange such material which seems beneficial from point of view of Stage-1 examination.
  • Rakshith Appaiah H S
    Rakshith Appaiah H S
    #-Link-Snipped-# : so the 10 points will look something like this!! got this from quora (Amith singh) Check this link as well

#-Link-Snipped-#

Paper -1:- This paper is common for all the candidates. The questions asked will be from general studies and engineering aptitude, thus setting the stage for further competition.Although the general studies still remains the part of paper-1 , its scope has been severely curtailed. There is no separate syllabus for general studies and engineering aptitude. In all, there is combined syllabus given for paper-1. For GS portion , the syllabus given is "Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development", this almost negates the necessity of old pattern of static GS portion from NCERT. But the problem is that we can't make this presumption about UPSC that everything will be from what it has given as syllabus. So , over the course of one year , at-least one reading can be given to NCERT books for basic understanding. This new pattern has heavily increased the importance of newspaper reading. Even you will be required to make notes from newspaper on a daily basis so that you understand the issues at hand. How to make notes from newspaper is a tricky affair. It will take some time to understand the relevance of news from examination point of view. This [Strategy] How to prepare Current Affairs from Newspapers in Less than one hour for UPSC IAS IPS CSAT Exam » Mrunal will help you to grasp the techniques of note making from newspaper.

Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability: This should be manageable at the level of aspirants himself. You can also follow Mrunal » Competitive exams Preparation because he has lot of resources on this topic which he gives for other exam but it may be relevant here too. Logical reasoning and analytical ability should not be a big issue for any average engineer. You can buy any decent book from market , or wait for coaching institutes to release their material

Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis : We all study this subject in first year of our colleges. Also , this topic is included in GATE examination for every branch. Pick up your first year books and start preparation now. Those who are in their first year of college should take this subject seriously.

General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety: Civil and mechanical engineers study design and drawing in second year of their course so your friends in this department will helping you to get through this subject. I think coaching institutes will bring out study material as soon as possible

Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services: This belongs to the domain of Production and Civil engineers. Those who are still in graduation should really look into others branches as well.

Basics of Energy and Environment: This is the primary domain of Civil and Environmental engineers. In fact, environmental engineering takes the lead here.

Basics of Project Management: Again this is topic straight from civil engineering like CPM and PERT.

Basics of Material Science and Engineering: Every branch has this subjects , so each aspirants should study books of other department

Information and Communication Technologies: This is the domain of Computer Science and IT department. Apart from just using Facebook and WhatsApp try to learn the IT structure of these applications, atleast of those which you use regularly.

Ethics and values in Engineering profession: Here this most important question "Why did you become an engineer". What are the core values of an 'engineer'? How will you serve the society in this profession.?

Right now there is no study material which comprehensively covers all the topics of Paper-1. We will have to wait few months before the materials are out in the market. I will also try to update this article with the relevant links from other websites. At present, you will have to manage yourself till coaching institutes do their job. #-Link-Snipped-# is a good website to start learning basics of core engineering. UPSC wants you to study basics of almost every core branch and acquire interdisciplinary skills so that in future you will be better able to communicate with officers from other department.

You should be able to appreciate the technicalities of other branches of engineering. You should not shouldn't study in isolation. Take interest in basics of other department. Make friends from diverse background of specialization. After few months, coaching institutes will flood the market with study material for above topics. At this juncture, you will have to arrange such material which seems beneficial from point of view of Stage-1 examination.
  • Mayuresh Lele
    Mayuresh Lele
    myself Mayuresh Lele,
    I have attempted Ese 2014.
    Now i m working
    i want to appear for ese 2017 again..
    when should i inform my company about this??
    will there b any issue from my company side?
    also i want to know wheather upsc requires NOC at the time of interview or thereafter.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mayuresh Lele
    when should i inform my company about this??
    will there b any issue from my company side?
    If you clear the written exam, that's when you can let your company officials know about this.
  • Mayuresh Lele
    Mayuresh Lele
    Hello mam,
    what is the payscale of ese officer?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mayuresh Lele
    Hello mam,
    what is the payscale of ese officer?
    The payscale for IES ESE officers is about Rs. 21,000 to 40,000 per month. Actually in-hand salary can be around Rs. 30,000

Additional perks for IES officers includes:
    • Residential Quarters
    • All India travel pass
    • Official Vehicle
    • Dearness allowance
    • Free medical aid for both self and family
    • Provident Fund (PF) and Gratuity.
    • Leave encashment
    Since you are a Mechanical engineer, you can get a job in following organisations:
    1. Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers
    2. Indian Naval Armament Service
    3. Assistant Executive Engineer (in Ministry of Defense)
    4. Indian Railway Stores Service
    5. Central Water Engineering Service
    6. Indian Ordnance Factories Service
    7. Assistant Naval Store officer Grade I in Indian Navy
    8. Central Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Service
    9. Boarder Roads Engineering Service
    10. Geological Survey of India
    11. etc.
  • SHARMA DINESH
    SHARMA DINESH
    let me know stage 1 papers are on same day or not?
  • Ritika Sharma
    Ritika Sharma
    Mam can you plz suggest us books for different subjects for the preparation of ies 2017.we shall be highly obliged.
  • DINESH C V
    DINESH C V
    SHARMA DINESH
    let me know stage 1 papers are on same day or not?
    General studies paper in morning and technical paper in afternoon, same day.
  • Mayuresh Lele
    Mayuresh Lele
    how many days will stage 1 & 2 exam( ESE ) b conducted??

My DOB is 06/01/1990...then i m eligible upto 2020 or 2019??
  • Dhana lakshmi
    Dhana lakshmi
    Ankita Katdare
    There are no major changes in the preparation other than the change in syllabus. You need to go through the entire new syllabus and just pick out what's new and work on the accordingly. There are no other special instructions as of now.
    Holo mam,this is dhana I m doing my information technology , is't IT also eligible for IES
  • Vadla Sushil Kumar
    Vadla Sushil Kumar
    Dear Ankita Madam,
    I would like to know that in 2017 a slight change had done in ies syllabus is there any chance so that there will be a probability of keeping % criteria of graduation to attain ESE application of 2018
    Reply at your earliest madam.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Our thread - Companies recruiting with eligibility criteria less than 60% | CrazyEngineers has received a tremendous response with engineering from all over the country pouring in questions and answers....
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has finalized four positions for recently discovered super heavy elements. These elements have atomic numbers 113,115,117 and 118, and will be...
Instagram has come up with a cool new 'Peek' feature for the android platform incorporated in the latest 7.14.0 version of the Instagram Android app. After momentarily introducing this feature...
Public sector telecom major BSNL, announced that it is gearing up to set up 40,000 Wi-Fi Hotspots at different locations in the country by March 2016 to counteract its incompetence...
So, was just wondering of any of you here still have interest in collaborative projects between CEans? Be it some app or software. If you have an idea, are you...