ICANN announces 4 new gTLDs viz. شبكة, онлайн, сайт & 游戏

ICANN - the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers has announced the first set of new generic Top Level Domains (gTLD). These four new top level domains will now join the Internet's root zone, which currently is limited to 22 gTLDs. ICANN's new initiative is expected to expand this range to about 1400 new domains or strings like .app, .internet, .travel and so on. The domain name registrars will now be able to initiate the final process to acquire these domains & make them available to consumers. ICANN expects that this new initiative to roll out wider range of gTLDs will result into competition and bring people together.

slide

Following are the details of the new strings available -
  • شبكة (xn--ngbc5azd) – Arabic for "web/network"
    Registry: International Domain Registry Pty. Ltd.
  • онлайн (xn--80asehdb) – Cyrillic for "online"
    Registry: CORE Association
  • сайт (xn--80aswg) – Cyrillic for "site"
    Registry: CORE Association
  • 游戏(xn--unup4y) – Chinese for "game(s)"
    Registry: Spring Fields, LLC

These new domains are the first amongst the upcoming non-Latin scripts like Arabic, Chinese, Greek & Hindi. It's expected that the domains will be made available to the public after a mandatory buffer of about 30 days which will be used by the respective registries to protect the trademark rights.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been reading on the social media and a few blogs that Samsung has began rolling out Android 4.3 firmware upgrade and India's one of the first countries to receive...
Engineers have successfully developed an acoustic system capable of detecting home-made explosives & bombs. The main advantage of the new system is that the bombs can be detected from a...
If humans ever decide to settle on the moon; they'd definitely need oxygen, water & a high-speed Internet connection. Looks like the problem of having a high-speed Internet connection on...
Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak says that the's not impressed with the new iPad Air. Instead of the specs upgrade; he'd have loved to see an iPad with higher storage capacity....
Around six months back, I posted this thread on my hdd problem. I couldn't find solution for that, so I bought another new HD & was not using failed HD....