i need help in moving from classroom to practical application

hi,

I'm a second year IT student. I was discussing with one of my friends the other day about how the syllabus is too theoretical....we have any practiacal training. Last year we had elecron devices and circuits and i learnt about a dozen graphs and complicated formulae about transistors understanding about 20% of the whole syllabus...which is apparently high according to some of my seniors. I would have spent hours googling and reading material online but still my knowledge about electronics is foggy...at best.

I came to the conclusion that unless i actually work with transistors in practical experiments i'll never fully understand them. Here im just using transistors as an example. I feel this way about almost all my subjects.

I don't know how many other engineering students have faced such problems... but my lack of practical knowledge overwhelms me. I want to start doing some experiments at home to help me understand concepts better. But i dont know where to start. If there were clubs for such activities in college to guide me that would be great but there are no such clubs. I would really like some suggestions on how to improve my skills and be a good engineer because i know im not stupid...im just confused. please help.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi confounded,

I'm very happy to see your concern. I rarely see anyone so concerned about the syllabus and gaining practical knowledge. Your concern is genuine and I know what's going on in your mind.

I like the concept of 'clubs' you mentioned. If it does not exist, why don't you start a CE Club in your college? We all are ready & happy to help you with anything that you need. The club would benefit lot of engineering enthusiasts and you could very well help us develop projects. It will also help you enhance your skills & practical knowledge.

Secondly, there are lots of interesting stuff going on in CE Labs. If you are willing to learn & execute, I invite you to our CE Bot project & the CE IM project.

If that sounds 'too much' to you, you could just post your problems/questions/queries in appropriate sections of CE Forums. CEans from all around the world would help you with anything you need.

You sure will be a good engineer.
  • kedarjk
    kedarjk
    confounded
    hi,

I'm a second year IT student. I was discussing with one of my friends the other day about how the syllabus is too theoretical....we have any practiacal training. Last year we had elecron devices and circuits and i learnt about a dozen graphs and complicated formulae about transistors understanding about 20% of the whole syllabus...which is apparently high according to some of my seniors. I would have spent hours googling and reading material online but still my knowledge about electronics is foggy...at best.

I came to the conclusion that unless i actually work with transistors in practical experiments i'll never fully understand them. Here im just using transistors as an example. I feel this way about almost all my subjects.

I don't know how many other engineering students have faced such problems... but my lack of practical knowledge overwhelms me. I want to start doing some experiments at home to help me understand concepts better. But i dont know where to start. If there were clubs for such activities in college to guide me that would be great but there are no such clubs. I would really like some suggestions on how to improve my skills and be a good engineer because i know im not stupid...im just confused. please help.

Hi Cofounded,

Awesome question.
    I am also an electronics engineer. I also think that the teaching method for electronics subjects must be different than what it is today.
    See in current situation, you have to help yourself by taking extra efforts.
    I would suggest you to use some simulator software's like "Protel". There are so many other simillar softwares also, you can just google them. With such simulators you can draw, design so many circuits. It will help you to clear your doubts.
  • confounded
    confounded
    thanks for all the suggestions. ๐Ÿ˜€ Wow. the response here is faster than most forums I've been to.

about the club idea...it has been with me for quite a while now... I think it would be very useful to students. once I try out some experiments on my own I'll be able to gather a few friends and make a club of it. ๐Ÿ˜€.

anyway hopefully I'll have good progress to report in a couple of months ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    confounded
    thanks for all the suggestions. ๐Ÿ˜€ Wow. the response here is faster than most forums I've been to.

about the club idea...it has been with me for quite a while now... I think it would be very useful to students. once I try out some experiments on my own I'll be able to gather a few friends and make a club of it. ๐Ÿ˜€.

anyway hopefully I'll have good progress to report in a couple of months ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Sure thing. Keep us updated about your progress. Oh yes, you're not going away because you might be of help to our other engineer friends. Right?

All of us have been toying with the idea of CE Evangelists & CE College Clubs for long time. We need a leader to go ahead and start the first ever CE College Club. The mysterious light from sky is pointing at you - so are you going to be our first CE Club Founder? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • confounded
    confounded
    The_Big_K
    All of us have been toying with the idea of CE Evangelists & CE College Clubs for long time. We need a leader to go ahead and start the first ever CE College Club. The mysterious light from sky is pointing at you - so are you going to be our first CE Club Founder? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

ahh.....that sounds a bit scary....actually for an introvert like me that sounds very scary. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    confounded
    ahh.....that sounds a bit scary....actually for an introvert like me that sounds very scary. ๐Ÿ˜’
    No problem. Don't get scared. But do post here ๐Ÿ˜!
  • confounded
    confounded
    The_Big_K
    No problem. Don't get scared. But do post here ๐Ÿ˜!

lol. I'm mean to.

you're puzzles are already preventing me from studying for my math test. ;-)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi freinds, i have to make a minor project for my college..i am an electronics and communication final year student..Plz give some ideas and information about recent projects.. All suggestions...
Recently, I met few engineers who thought they'd rather be working for a startup than writing reports for a big MNC ๐Ÿ˜€ ! Now the question is - what according...
how can we get the print out of output of (graphical) C program( in graphics mode)? when the OS Xp.
We are having this undergraduate research about effective extraction of natural anthraquinone dye from a Noni tree bark. We tried using the traditional leaching process for starters using solvents like...
Hmm. I just thought of sharing my bike's picture with you because I totally love my mobike ๐Ÿ˜ Comments?