Hydrogen Fuel Cells Activity

Hi, as part of my final year project at university i need to come up with an activity/demonstration to show how hydrogen fuel cells work to 14-17 year olds.

Does anyone have any ideas what would make a good activity. The only idea i have come up with would be some sort of puzzle which involves assembling the main components of the fuel cell to achieve a desired output.

Also, i need to do some kind of theoretical analysis on fuel cells. I wanted to use CAD some how for this, I was thinking of doing something on the heat dissapation? Any ideas.

Any help would be apprecated. Thanks!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Try these sources:

A Basic Overview of Fuel Cell Technology
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    For this you can use the dry cell kit
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-#,
    I need your help, regarding hho dry cell kit.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kumarrakeshit
    I need your help, regarding hho dry cell kit.
    hho is another way of writing H2O, the chemical formula for water. If you use suitable electrodes and an electrolyte, you can electrolyse water to produce Hydrogen and Oxygen gas. To gether they form a highly explosive mixture. One has to be very careful playing with these two gases together.
    I give below some links, which may help.
    (Caution: BE Very Very Careful in doing such experiments)
    1. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. #-Link-Snipped-#
    3. #-Link-Snipped-#
    4. #-Link-Snipped-#
    5. #-Link-Snipped-#

I have no idea how good or safe these procedures are. I have not checked any of them. I am an Electro Chemist and have done a whole lot of work in this field. That is why I am sounding all these alarms. Working with hydrogen and oxygen is serious business. Not for a casual lark or as a pass time activity.
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    Thanks! @#-Link-Snipped-# ji

I have checked your all link. I had already created hho dry cell kit.
    I have used stainless steel 316 L and KoH. This kit produce 4 litter hho gas per minit. but these gas not sufficent for the bike, for fully running on water.
    Do you have any idea to generate miximum hho gas on minimum voltage 12+?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1 Faraday (about 27 amp hours) will produce about 25 litres of Hydrogen gas. Voltage is incidental in electrolysis. It is the amp hours that counts. Of course you will need a suitable voltage to get the amp hours. So, first estimate the litres/hour Hydrogen you need. Multiply this by 1.08 (That is 27/25 from above) to get the amp hours needed. Then set up your HHO Drycell for this. Make sure that your power pack can deliver this amp hours.
    A large surface area of electrodes and an electrolyte of good conductivity (KOH is good) will work at low voltages.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kumarrakeshit
    miximum hho gas
    There is no such thing as hho gas. There is Hydrogen and there is Oxygen. You are probably letting these two mix and get a mixture out.
    I have to reiterate the warning. This mixture is very explosive. In a closed container it becomes a bomb if there is a spark.
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    A.V.Ramani
    There is no such thing as hho gas. There is Hydrogen and there is Oxygen. You are probably letting these two mix and get a mixture out.
    I have to reiterate the warning. This mixture is very explosive. In a closed container it becomes a bomb if there is a spark.
    Thanks for your replay! One more thing I want to know.
    Passivation of stain less steel for removing iron from the surface area of steel.
    Which type of acid I should be used like nitric acid, citric acid etc?

And provide the suitable acid name that should not be harmful for our body and steel surface area.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is best to use graphite electrodes as they are inert and do not ionize. However they are brittle and can break. Graphite mesh fabric can be a good alternative as that material is not fragile and has a large surface area. This discussion is about the anode (that is what gets connected to the positive of the power supply. The cathode, where hydorgen is liberated can be anything compatible with your electrolyte. If it is KOH, Aluminium is a strict NO, NO.
    These give full technical details. May need some background in electrochemistry to get the full drift.
    PDF

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Are you using SS for the negative or the positive or both electrodes? Just emerying the surface and cleaning with citric acid should be enough.
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    A.V.Ramani
    It is best to use graphite electrodes as they are inert and do not ionize. However they are brittle and can break. Graphite mesh fabric can be a good alternative as that material is not fragile and has a large surface area. This discussion is about the anode (that is what gets connected to the positive of the power supply. The cathode, where hydorgen is liberated can be anything compatible with your electrolyte. If it is KOH, Aluminium is a strict NO, NO.
    These give full technical details. May need some background in electrochemistry to get the full drift.
    PDF

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Are you using SS for the negative or the positive or both electrodes? Just emerying the surface and cleaning with citric acid should be enough.
    Thanks! Sir
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    A.V.Ramani
    PDF

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    A.V.Ramani
    PDF

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
    One more thing I need your help, I am using the polycarbonate plastic for HHO dry cell kit.Problem occures, when tight the nuts bolts,after one or two week, plastic would be break.
    please suggest which type of plastic I should be used.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kumarrakeshit
    please suggest which type of plastic I should be used.
    Provided your operating temperatures are below about 90 degC on continuous running, 20% or 40% talc filled Polypropylene may work. It has good toughness and very good chemical resistance.
    eFunda Polymers: Properties of Polypropylene {copolymer, 10 - 40% talc filled}
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    Do you have any idea about un-breakable plastic.
    I am using this plastic but every time it gets broken
    please help
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kumarrakeshit
    I am using this plastic
    Which plastic are you talking about. PP does not break. PC can under certain conditions. If the temperature is below 60 C you can even use polyethylene.
  • kumarrakeshit
    kumarrakeshit
    A.V.Ramani
    Which plastic are you talking about. PP does not break. PC can under certain conditions. If the temperature is below 60 C you can even use polyethylene.
    I am using pc plastic.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kumarrakeshit
    I am using pc plastic.
    That is why I suggested that you try 20% or 40% talc filled PP. PP is already in use for lead acid batteries. It is tough and not brittle.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

plz help me to find the common area of following two curves R=a R=2acos@ This is eqn of circle in polar form. I tried but couldnt figure out the solution
"When you are up in life, your friends get to know who you are. But when you are down in life, you get to know who your friends are".They say...
Hi , This is my bot designed for combat but i need to work on weapons for destroying the enemy bots....
I been watching documentry of Stephen Hawkings on Discovery that with higher speed we can slowdown time for us. But question is can we go to past. For ex: suppose...
How do i practice for questions quickly for the good time management? I need some tips guys so that i can crack companies tests 😉. I heard infosys, cognizant, wipro...