How we can add engineering, with genetic engineering?

what is the basic reason behind genetic engineering? why we call engineering not genetic science?

Replies

• ashwin sarangula
    ashwin sarangula
    anjali zendre
    what is the basic reason behind genetic engineering? why we call engineering not genetic science?
    hello anjali. i have an opinion of my own regarding this question. "i think genetics or we say genetic science explains the the evolution of new species from its parental species with some genes repeating in both. whereas genetic engineering refers to study of making the genetic recombination possible by recombining DNA or such kind of gene causing materials through various methods."
    i hope you got atleast some part of your answer. look up for more replies.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Engineering also means making things happen, manipulate or modify something existing to achieve an end purpose. In genetic engineering various manipulations are done to the basic unit to bring about a desired end result. It is engineering at a molecular level.
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    o
    ashwin sarangula
    hello anjali. i have an opinion of my own regarding this question. "i think genetics or we say genetic science explains the the evolution of new species from its parental species with some genes repeating in both. whereas genetic engineering refers to study of making the genetic recombination possible by recombining DNA or such kind of gene causing materials through various methods."
    i hope you got atleast some part of your answer. look up for more replies.
    ok

OK dear thanks for reply..😀
    then we have number off tool and machines in genetic engg. also like our engg. so that we can cut and add different DNA?how the recombination has occur in DNA?
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    bioramani
    Engineering also means making things happen, manipulate or modify something existing to achieve an end purpose. In genetic engineering various manipulations are done to the basic unit to bring about a desired end result. It is engineering at a molecular level.
    yes sir..thanks..
    then how we can manipulate the gens in molecular level.. if i m thinking in right way then we can manipulate gens in any form. i mean we can develop infinite type of variety of animals.
  • ashwin sarangula
    ashwin sarangula
    anjali zendre
    o
    ok

OK dear thanks for reply..😀
    then we have number off tool and machines in genetic engg. also like our engg. so that we can cut and add different DNA?how the recombination has occur in DNA?
    you are welcome dear. but the first thing is that it would be better if we call those tools as techniques rather than tools as in mech. engg. and for your question , as far as from my point of view , i think some enzyme like materials are responsible for genetic recombination. as iam from computers background , i cannot give much info regarding this thing. it would be better if someone form genetics , answer your answer.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    My son works with fruit flies in the US. When I visited his lab, he showed me some flies that were gay! The flies are traditionally housed in housed in the old style milk bottles all the male flies had gathered near the top edge sort of holding hands(?) and circling around completely ignoring the (probably) alluring females congregated below. How they can tell which is male and which is male in a fly all of 2 mm size beats me. The idea was to find what gene make up was causing such behaviour and how it can be modified.

They perform brain surgeries on these tiny creatures, modify the gene pattern and close them up. Later their offspring are studied for modified behaviour. I saw the results of some of these studies in which the eye colour of the off spring was different from the parent. A few had only five legs in another experiment.
  • ashwin sarangula
    ashwin sarangula
    #-Link-Snipped-#: that is really great ,sir. could you please post any photos of that thing , if you have any ?
  • graphite
    graphite
    Brain surgeries on these tiny creatures great Technology Rocks!!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ashwin sarangula
    #-Link-Snipped-#: that is really great ,sir. could you please post any photos of that thing , if you have any ?
    I am trying to get some photos. They have to be in the public domain for me to put them up.
  • blacklaurah
    blacklaurah
    Me too, though I'm not in this profession I'm kinda like always thinking the differences of the too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Offered without comments. The original parable: The Ant works hard in the whithering heat all summer building its house and laying up supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper thinks the...
I'm facing this problem with the proximity sensor on my Galaxy Note II. The screen turns blank when I'm on call (the phone's near the ear) but it does not...
The rumor is spreading on the Internet that Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be the first mega mobile phone to launch in the commercial markets with a foldtable display. The...
Code December – Coding Conference in Hyderabad from December 23-25, 2012 Venue : Hotel Shivani, Beside Khadims Showroom, Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad Start Date : Decemebr 23, 2012 End Date : December...
Lot of people I have met in the last few years, budding entrepreneurs (me included) have had brilliant ideas. But many didn't have a plan. So they didn't know where...