How to study?

The title itself explains everything, I look forward to responses from every Cean on How they study a certain subject?

I mean cram or some special procedure they follow that helps you to clear the concepts in your mind

I hope this thread will really help others

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#

It helps if you like the subject or actively work on developing a liking. Even a dry subject like thermodynamics becomes exciting when one realizes that it even impacts the realm of metaphysics.
    One should get a firm hold on concepts till they become ingrained.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    it might depend on the goal for studying?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Manish Goyal
    The title itself explains everything, I look forward to responses from every Cean on How they study a certain subject?

I mean cram or some special procedure they follow that helps you to clear the concepts in your mind

I hope this thread will really help others
    It depends, on the goal, on the time limit etc. 😉 . For me, when I had to study, and the goal is to pass some exam, and there is an acute time limit, I go for long study sessions (my time 3: hr per session, may differ for u), and by this way I keep on studying and making notes (important to score better 😀 ),
    if there is lax time limit, u can take the book, and read from cover to cover, and then read again, and u will have a fair understanding, "(but this method will not help in remembering formulae related stuff, but good for understandable theory )".
    Hope this helps and work for u!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    durga
    it might depend on the goal for studying?
    What if some one is studying for the sake of learning, because today is the last day

My Prime intention of this thread is to know various ways through which one can develop interest in a subject.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Study with genuine interest in the subject!

I think that's the best way of studying anything! Unfortunately, the way we are taught to study is to accept everything that's been told. But when you study anything with genuine interest in the subject; you will figure out your own ways to 'understand' it.

For example, learning to play Guitar needs you to be genuinely interested in Guitar & music. Else, you simply can't learn to play Guitar. It apply to everything!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Study with genuine interest in the subject!

I think that's the best way of studying anything! Unfortunately, the way we are taught to study is to accept everything that's been told. But when you study anything with genuine interest in the subject; you will figure out your own ways to 'understand' it.

For example, learning to play Guitar needs you to be genuinely interested in Guitar & music. Else, you simply can't learn to play Guitar. It apply to everything!
    and on which factors this interest depends? I agree if one has interest in a particular matter it may be anything game, tv etc, the question is How can one develop a interest in a topic in which he /she is not interested at all.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I might sound nasty, but why d you want to 'develop' interest?
    elaboration:
    I do few things say x,y,z. I find activity y to be more engaging and would end up interested in learning y better and I would not bother about x and z. I would then end up knowing more and more about y and make every possible attempt to excel in y .

Unless and until I have an exam to sit for - I might not show so much dedication in x and z as they don't engage(interest) me much. But if I am learning for sake of learning - I would only learn y.

The link provided my @#-Link-Snipped-# is a very good read though!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, interest *can be developed*, and I've done that several times; so I know it works. It's just about finding the right triggers that propel you towards what you're wanting to do.

I knew Yoga helps and heals. But I never was interested in it enough to wake up in the morning & practice. It was only a few months ago that I decided to be genuinely interested in Yoga and practice it daily. I started getting up at 5:40 AM in the morning and begin my 1 hour Yoga session at 6:00 AM with Baba Ramdev (via Aastha Channel). I've been doing it almost daily and have already began noticing the benefits. So what I was reading and hearing from people on TV was now happening to me.

The point is - interest can be developed if you really want to. If you know that you *must* do something and there are no options [Yoga and having a good health have no options!] you better start developing interest in it.

There are several things in life which look totally boring at first sight; but turn out to be incredibly awesome. Yoga is one of them. I'm sure @#-Link-Snipped-# will agree. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh said
    The point is - interest can be developed if you really want to.
    This is quite true. However, there is a precondition. An enquiring, inquisitive, curious mind.
    There are several things in life which look totally boring at first sight; but turn out to be incredibly awesome.
    This is true. Again the inherent bent of mind is still needed.

This does not mean that the degree of enthusiasm is equal for all things. There are things that one takes or leaves.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have Quickheal installed on my PC. This has expired. Now I want to renew it. The cost of it is INR 2600 for 3 years while Bitdefender costs INR...
I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome...
Just spotted this new super car from Nissan and it looks to have arrived from future. Check Nissan BladeGlider on display at the Tokyo Motor Show -
Following the leads by Airtel & Reliance Jio, Aircel could be the next mobile network operator in India to launch 4G services. The operator is currently testing the network in...
Repeaters are basically regenerators of input signals.It is used in DCOM system to maintain it's stock amplitude which reduces due to attenuation when long distance from source to destination is...