How to stop shutdown of computer?

hi everybody,this is my very first thread on this site and i hope i could get the answer of my questions.........

my question is that "is there any way to stop the computer from getting it shut down after we gave the shutdownor hibernate command?"

sounds idiotic but ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Re: how to stop it frm shutdown?

devesh
    hi everybody,this is my very first thread on this site and i hope i could get the answer of my questions.........

my question is that "is there any way to stop the computer from getting it shut down after we gave the shutdownor hibernate command?"

sounds idiotic but ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Before answering your question let me tell you one thing this question is not not idotic at all.. Good question.
    And thanks, because of your question I searched and found a solution:

Let’s say that you need to cancel a shutdown in progress. Go to the computer in question, hit #-Link-Snipped-# + R then type command below:
    shutdown -a
    This will abort the shutdown, assuming there is a counter and it hasn’t reached zero yet!

Enjoy
    --Crazy
  • Neha
    Neha
    Re: how to stop it frm shutdown???????????

Thats a nice question with a gud solution!!

I didn't even think of it before!!
  • crook
    crook

crazyboy
    Before answering your question let me tell you one thing this question is not not idotic at all.. Good question.

Let’s say that you need to cancel a shutdown in progress. Go to the computer in question, hit #-Link-Snipped-# + R then type command below:
    shutdown -a
    This will abort the shutdown, assuming there is a counter and it hasn’t reached zero yet!

Enjoy
    --Crazy
    ha ha !! I did not know about this too 😁😁😁 ! Thank you crazy boy
  • devesh
    devesh

thanks very much crazyboy.thanks very much for increasing a bit in my knowledge pool.
  • devesh
    devesh

crazyboy

shutdown -a

Enjoy
    --Crazy
    hey crazyboy,what you told me about the shutdown may be true but the shutdown process is so fast in the systems having more RAM that even the run command window would not appear so the next step automatically seems tougher to handle.so tell me about this because i have tried it on my pc but as soon as i gave the command it immediately started shutting down not allowing me to open the command window.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Thats a nice question Devesh and amazing reply by Crazyboy. But would like to ask that is there any particular time limit after giving the shutdown command that we can enter these abort commands?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    aashima
    Thats a nice question Devesh and amazing reply by Crazyboy. But would like to ask that is there any particular time limit after giving the shutdown command that we can enter these abort commands?
    If you shut down your comp via shutdown -s or shut down -r than it take about 30 sec to shut down your computer... and after 30 secs the pointer kills itself. I nthe mean (30 secs) If you give command shutdown -a than it will abort the shutdown process.

In the other case of pressing shutdown button, the first thing computer does is kill pointer and m\c shut down itself. so for Xp machines this trick is tough to operate. I will serach and update this thread if I will find any solution for this.

--Crazy
  • zatin_gupta2000
    zatin_gupta2000
    hi, to all of u . i m just join this nd hopes that allof u wil cooperate wid me.wel this is a nice questin.
  • MyHerbalTea
    MyHerbalTea
    crazyboy
    If you shut down your comp via shutdown -s or shut down -r than it take about 30 sec to shut down your computer... and after 30 secs the pointer kills itself. I nthe mean (30 secs) If you give command shutdown -a than it will abort the shutdown process.

In the other case of pressing shutdown button, the first thing computer does is kill pointer and m\c shut down itself. so for Xp machines this trick is tough to operate. I will serach and update this thread if I will find any solution for this.

--Crazy
    I just use the shutdown -i command and can then specify how long before my choice of Shutdown, restart, or logoff occurs. Choose 600 seconds and I have 10 minutes to change my mind!
  • HirenBarbhaya
    HirenBarbhaya
    very genuine question.. and glad to see that we have answer for that as well.. but let me tell you that once you get Saving your settings dialog.. there is no way to return back.. 😔
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    i too learnt this command once. That time i learnt to place the similar command in the shortcut target.
    But never thought that it can be used this way also....
    Thanks for the information....!!
  • zaki_whiz03
    zaki_whiz03

but this did not work out when I tried. There is no command box displayed or when the windows + R is hit there is no change in the process of shutting down..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

who would u think is the ICON of the year 2006? hey everyone, the debate is on "the Icon of the year ".i am not pin pointing the "youth icon"(mind...
Why 555 Timer Is So Called As?that's A Very Common Question But I Didn't That In Book.so Help Me Out
what do u think, it's better to live in a joint family or a nuclear family? c'mon CE'ns pour in your comments as much as possible. this could be your...
Hello All, Continuing from where Brian Huyser left us last month, I want to tell all my fellow CEans that I have changed 1 ordinary bulb in my house with...
nanotechnology is reachin INDIA....(although quite late!!!!) nanotechnology can make steel 100 times stronger with same size..... machining can b xtremely accurate upto atomic level.... computers can consume billion times less...