How to start with Back Track OS

Hello,

I want to learn about BackTrack OS
Just downloaded BackTrack 5 R3 from the official site
#-Link-Snipped-#

I want to learn it from scratch..
Does anyone have any idea about good tutorials, ebooks etc.?

Please share..!!

Or if anyone has used, and could guide me, it would be great.!!

Thanks in advance..!!

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    BT is now Kali-Linux : Kali Linux | Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking Linux Distribution
    You can get tutorials & help from blog & forum of the official website (For basics, OFC noone will teach you in detail, you've learn it yourself). There are few Youtube videos too, but that won't help you much.
    Better create an account in Forum & learn from there. Community is great.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    BT is now Kali-Linux : Kali Linux | Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking Linux Distribution
    You can get tutorials & help from blog & forum of the official website (For basics, OFC noone will teach you in detail, you've learn it yourself). There are few Youtube videos too, but that won't help you much.
    Better create an account in Forum & learn from there. Community is great.
    Oh, that means, I have to download Kali Linux now..

BDW Thanks for the reply mate.!

Will now go to the forum and explore it..!!
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    I want to learn about BackTrack OS
    backtrack is an live os designed to used by hackers mainly.this operating system will gives you permission to enter in secure widows to get the data or hacking of wi fi password so it depends on you how u can use it.
    pls correct me if i made mistake.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    yogi.bharadwaj
    backtrack is an live os designed to used by hackers mainly.this operating system will gives you permission to enter in secure widows to get the data or hacking of wi fi password so it depends on you how u can use it.
    pls correct me if i made mistake.
    Yes, I know, you are right, but it can do much more than that, and it's very secure, so I want to learn about it more.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    then what would u like to know tell in brief because your this question is very broad.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    yogi.bharadwaj
    then what would u like to know tell in brief because your this question is very broad.
    Well, I was just asking, if anyone knows some good tutorials on BT.

May be some video tutorials or E-book, from which I can learn it faster.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    yogi.bharadwaj
    backtrack is an live os designed to used by hackers mainly.
    Hackers? What's a hacker?

That's a word I don't use any more because it means opposite things to different people. Many computer professionals still use it in it's original, totally positive meaning of a very skillful person who is able to solve intractable problems.

But the media, and therefore most non-technical people, use it only in its extremely evil meaning of a criminal who isn't a problem solver at all, but steals and destroys.

From the context, I think you mean the good meaning, but the uninformed might assume you're talking about a Linux distro for criminals.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    KenJackson
    Hackers? What's a hacker?

That's a word I don't use any more because it means opposite things to different people. Many computer professionals still use it in it's original, totally positive meaning of a very skillful person who is able to solve intractable problems.

But the media, and therefore most non-technical people, use it only in its extremely evil meaning of a criminal who isn't a problem solver at all, but steals and destroys.

From the context, I think you mean the good meaning, but the uninformed might assume you're talking about a Linux distro for criminals.
    i think u listen the term ethical hacker and that one is good hacker but only hacker is bad.But how can u diffrenciate it for eg. a pakistani hacker hacks indian secret info. and he is the bad hacker or criminal for indians but see its other side he is an ethical hacker for pakistan so there is nothing mean of these terms a person who is hacker is both ethical for someone and criminal for other one.and i thnk backtrack is used only to steal someone info. and not like windows.if i am wrong pls correct me.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    yogi.bharadwaj
    i think u listen the term ethical hacker and that one is good hacker but only hacker is bad.But how can u diffrenciate it for eg. a pakistani hacker hacks indian secret info. and he is the bad hacker or criminal for indians but see its other side he is an ethical hacker for pakistan so there is nothing mean of these terms a person who is hacker is both ethical for someone and criminal for other one.and i thnk backtrack is used only to steal someone info. and not like windows.if i am wrong pls correct me.

See, actually the term "Ethical Hacker" is really wrong.

The term Hacker is used as a good sign (by people who are really into the technical stuff) as it tells that Hacker is a person who is good at logics and technical stuff.

But for the layman, they understand the term Hacker as a bad one, but it's not so, and thus, for the layman to grasp this thing, the term Ethical Hacker was introduced, but this a wrong term.

Hacker it self means a knowledgeable person, who if uses this for good is actually a white hat, and if for bad, then a black hat, and if he uses it simultaneously for good and bad, then he's a grey hat.

And most of them approx 95% are grey hat.

And trying and learning new stuff, doesn't really mean, you are doing something bad, don't depend just on Windows, there is a lot more (and I mean by this 'lot more') in this world despite of just a Windows Machine..

World is meant for exploring, so just tighten your seat belt, and get ready to have some thrill as you learn new things. 😀
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    yogi.bharadwaj
    i think u listen the term ethical hacker and that one is good hacker but only hacker is bad.But how can u diffrenciate it for eg. a pakistani hacker ...
    I never heard of the term ethical hacker. Both "hackers" you referenced fall in the criminal category (or espionage).

The good hacker would be the developer who fixes a complex device driver that has bugs but that others have failed to fix. Or the Linux kernel hackers who have come up with schedulers that make the system seem lightly loaded even when it's really heavily loaded.

I think Sanyam Khurana hit it too.

I recommend Steve Levy's excellent book, "Hackers, Heroes of the Computer Revolution, especially", if you can find a copy. A while back, I posted chapter two, #-Link-Snipped-#. I don't totally agree with it, but it's Good Stuff never-the-less.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Spark-Renault SRT_01E is a pure technical innovation in the field of Automobile. As all us know there are F1 championships held every year for gasoline powered F1 cars but from...
Recently viewed a video on youtube of Phonebloks. It's uber awesome, so I thought, I should share with fellow CEans : For more visit : https://www.phonebloks.com/ Drop your opinions/views below....
Can anyone make me clear about use of volatile keyword in java ? I would appreciate if one can give related examples ? Thanks in advance
It looks like this years recruitment is being ruled by Accenture which is making big bulk offers to the students. At VIT aka Vellore Institute Of Technology, Accenture recruited about...
CEans, this thread is meant to act as the campus recruitment tracker for all the placement offers made in campuses in year 2014. Please post information about the companies that...