[How-To] Shutdown your Windows machine instantly

Often we notice that our Windows machine takes a lot of time to Shut down. One of my reader has dropped me a mail writing about the issues like Long wait time for a non responding program to end etc etc. For all such dismayed readers and for all those willing to learn something new, i present this post targeted at shutting down windows machine ( read: PC) instantly.
As all of you know, Windows uses a #-Link-Snipped-# for many reasons. Some of them being :

• Separation of “machine” settings from “user” settings.
  • Support for different settings for different users.
  • A centralized location for shared software.
  • Roaming support.
  • Registry level Security.
Also, it must be noted that playing with registry settings can cause harm to your system. Therefore be very cautious about the edits you do with your registry settings.
In order to shut down your Windows PC instantly, the best way is to kill your apps. This is particularly important as many programs just refuse to say a clean bye and prefer hanging in the pool. Follow the steps mentioned below to make your Windows PC shut down instantly by killing such apps.

• F0llow Start -> Run -> Regedit.

• Follow upto the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Control Panel->Desktop.
#-Link-Snipped-#​

• Double click the parameter with name ” WaitToKillAppTimeout“. The value contained in this parameter is in milliseconds. Enter a value based on your patience level. I suggest keeping a value of 1300 if you are really impatient and wish to kill the apps as soon as you press shut down.

• Double click the parameter with name ” HungAppTimeout“. The value contained in this parameter is in milliseconds. The parameter governs the time to wait before closing Hung Applications. I would suggest keeping a value of 2000 here.

• Click OK when done. Reboot your PC for the new values to come into force.
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Aniket!
    Aniket!
    most simple method acc to me is
    press ctrl+alt+del
    then press ctrl and 'click Shutdown-> turnoff 'wid mouse in taskmanager simultaneously
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Aniket!
    press ctrl+alt+del
    then press ctrl and 'click Shutdown-> turnoff 'wid mouse simultaneously
    Oh, thats interesting. So it skips non responding programs?
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    ash
    Oh, thats interesting. So it skips non responding programs?
    Yeah mate..
    It just ends up all your apps in sec mate...
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Aniket!
    press ctrl+alt+del
    then press ctrl and 'click Shutdown-> turnoff 'wid mouse in taskmanager simultaneously
    Mate we need go to task manager every time and shut down but the above hack helps you in directly switching of your pc in secs even you click normal Shout Down Button.
    Thanks
  • wishvam
    wishvam
    a other mechanism to shutdown fast is here but it's little risky.. do it when u have no other choice..

its a hard shutdown.. press and hold the power on/off button for a few seconds..
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    yupp but u know just press ur power button and release it will shut down lol
  • wishvam
    wishvam
    ya i know but i said it for critical situations when the system get stuck... lol
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    hold power button for 3-4 seconds till it shuts down or else press the reset switch lol
  • moksh
    moksh
    nice one balaji

i got a trick to ...😁 just make a bat file with shutdown -l...and ur done !!
    simply double chick it or shutdown -n
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    best way

make a shortcut with target as "shutdown -s -t timeout(01 or whatsoever)

for eg shutdown -s -t 01 for 1 sec shutdown
    enjoy
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    saurabh2486
    best way

make a shortcut with target as "shutdown -s -t timeout(01 or whatsoever)

for eg shutdown -s -t 01 for 1 sec shutdown
    enjoy
    I cant get you.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    right click on desktop go to new shortcut and in the wizard in target location type shutdown -s -t timeout timeout can be any of 01 02 etc seconds and give it any name and if its not turning off then double click this shortcut and it will shutdown forcibly turning off all processes and services within that timespan i hope this will help u
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    saurabh2486
    right click on desktop go to new shortcut and in the wizard in target location type shutdown -s -t timeout timeout can be any of 01 02 etc seconds and give it any name and if its not turning off then double click this shortcut and it will shutdown forcibly turning off all processes and services within that timespan i hope this will help u

thanks for your detailed information..

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS...THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY..
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    u r welcome

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, i want to know about kernel in operatung system .
hi friends, I want to know about RACE condition in operating system .
Myself Dheeren Kumar Mahapatra final yr student of ETC want seminar ppt on PLASTIC LEADED CHIP CARRIER for my final yr seminar report.Plz help me for which i will be...
Hello, I am a Newbie here... My Name is Balaji I am doing Final Year Diploma in Mechanical Engineering In Coimbatore Can any one give me a good topic and...
Hello, Now i am doing Diploma in Mechanical Engineering which is interesting now mate... In B.E i have an idea whether to take Mechanical or Aeronautical.. What's your Views??? How...