How to setup KVM in Fedora 18?

I have been trying to setup KVM(Kernel Virtual Machine) on Fedora 18. Now when I reach the final step of setup (I am using virt-manager), it shows that "default" network is not active. I have gone through at least a dozen resources and I am still not able to debug this issue. I am not using any bridges. CEans, help me out!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# , our Linux Ninja should be able to help you here. He gets high whenever you talk anything Unix and Anti-MS.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Unfortunately,I don't know much detail about KVM.
    After I checked this post early morning,I googled & trolled some websites & learnt how to do bridged networking.

If #-Link-Snipped-# provides the steps he implemented in setting up KVM,then it might be possible that I can help.

I am not confident though.
    Darn!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe #-Link-Snipped-# can help. I've not laid my hands on Unix machine for a long time now. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    OK, #-Link-Snipped-# here is the screen shot.
    Screenshot from 2013-05-21 10:45:31

The problem here is I am not using any bridge. I just want to connect the guest and host using "default" network. Its supposed to be a bug, and the patch is available for ubuntu since 2009! No idea what to do in Fedora!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Not all CPU supports hardware virtualisation.
    Let's check whether your hardware supports or not.

egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo 
    Does it gives any o/p ?

#-Link-Snipped-# You are using Unix-like machine ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yeah man, my machine supports virtualization. That's not the problem. Anyways I have solved it. I removed the default network itself! Though it's not the way it should work, but after getting struck at one single point for two days, every solution seems right! And surprisingly, I am able to use my internet connection in guest without the bridge....๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Sorry folks. I am drawing a blank here ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Okay #-Link-Snipped-# now explain in detail,why we need KVM,Why we need bridging ? Is it only related with Servers ?
    I just wanna know it.

BTW Do you love Gnome? or still Unity fan ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    OKay, Kernel Based virtual machine is a simple virtulization software (like vmware), but it differs in the point that it works on linux kernel. As it helps to provide virtualization through kernel, it is able to use hardware more efficiently. Now as we are using fedora and Red hat developed KVM, so its better to use it, saves from licencing issues and all! Bridging basically helps to communicate between guest and host system. The basic idea is you bridge one of you communication port (either ethernet or wlan) to the guest and they too can get benefit of it. I dont think it is only related to servers, hell, I am using it on my laptop....๐Ÿ˜‰ But I guess most of the developers use it for servers only.
    Anyways, check this out : KVM
    I hope you will get most of the answers...๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah gnome is quite good, but I think I am gonna need some more time to get over unity. Our relationship ended unexpectedly...๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After speculations and discussions going around for a couple of days about Yahoo buying out Tumblr, the deal was finally sealed with a staggering $1.1 Billion Dollars. Both the CEO's...
Sealing the Billion Dollar deal between Yahoo and Tumblr, the official announcement by both the CEO were released. Yahoo has said that Tumblr would still be an independent operation and...
The 450 crore Mars mission is the most ambitious endeavor yet in India's Space Research history, and expectedly the most complex too. If ISRO becomes successful in this crucial mission,...
Not long after Yahoo's acquisition of Tumblr, they have announced a brand new design of Flickr. The announcement took place at a press event in New York on Monday, where...
Lockheed Martin's F-35B fighter jet recently demonstrated a vertical takeoff at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland. The machine uses its lift-fan and variable geometry engine to take off...