How to produce electricity from Railway Track?

how to produce electrisity from railway track

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Why not use Piezo....
  • Bull
    Bull
    Hi!
    How to convert kinetic energy into electrical energy??
  • bhushanb
    bhushanb
    it can be generated by using simple dynamo & a generator with rechargeble battery
    connected with the railway track & to generat electricity
    perhaps i'll work on this project & let you know wht the actual implementation of it ............
  • Roddick
    Roddick
    The idea is to use some kind of shock and energy absorbent fluid (possibly at the time of laying the road / rail blocks) which can conduct , store and generate electricity (when subjected to mechanical loads) like a piezoelectric transducer. The law of conservation of energy would still not be violated (the law of conservation of momentum still stands -> Newton's third law etc) if the free energy of the system stays the same or is reduced by increasing the entropy of the absorbent fluid (which accounts for its energy storage capability).
  • bhushanb
    bhushanb
    no dude the peozoelectric crystal theory is very different
    do you know about the generation of electricity in the generator?
    such like this the concept of generator is same as dynamo so you r on the right track with the misunderstanding, if u want to know it more then msg me .....
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    well the new electric locomotives use the rail tracks as the returning path for the current, so when a train is passing by, you can surely get electric power if you attach a wire to them and the other end to a very good earthing even better than the railway tracks but it will only be available till the time the train is passing by.

Otherwise you can use piezo-electric crystals to produce small amount of power but again that will only be produced when the train is passing by.

Or Ok, an illegal method, just take a very thick copper wire with a very good insulation for safety and then somehow tap the wire to overhead system from where the trains take the electric supply. Then design a step-down transformer to get the desired voltage, make sure you maske the transformer such that it is capable of limiting the current.

well can't think of any other currently, will let you know if anything elese comes in my mind. 馃榾
  • gohm
    gohm
    Is this for a subway or rail system? frequency of travel will play a key role.
  • greguru
    greguru
    The earthing of the railway tracks is generally very good. You might be able to get some potential difference is you dig a deep enough hole, use some good conducting material (on powder form), and put copper wire in. No guarantees on how much electricity you can get.

If you directly tap it from the overhead wires, it is neither safe nor legal. Get life insurance before you try it 馃榾

Now what I am wondering is, are you looking for a static method or dynamic. Railway cars already have a battery and dynamo system to generate the electricity as the train moves. If you live near a railway track and you are interested in generating electricity from the passage of a train, I would recommend installing a short enough windmill which can be turned due to the motion of the train. You will require the trains to pass very frequently though.

Piezo is another option but it would fire everytime the train wheels move over it and will give you spikes.

Can you elaborate on the purpose?
  • sam76
    sam76
    can we generate electricity using railway tracks ? If so, then how can we make it ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sam76
    can we generate electricity using railway tracks ? If so, then how can we make it ?
    Check above discussion. I've merged both the threads to have just one thread that answers all the question. I'm sure you will get the answer you are looking for, else feel free to ask it in the comments below.
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Ya we can use piezo crystal, in japan they are using piezo in railway station, so when people walk on them it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
    Check Piezoelectricity Generation X! - Yanko Design
  • sam76
    sam76
    I was intrested to generate electricity during the passage of train on tracks

greguru
    The earthing of the railway tracks is generally very good. You might be able to get some potential difference is you dig a deep enough hole, use some good conducting material (on powder form), and put copper wire in. No guarantees on how much electricity you can get.

If you directly tap it from the overhead wires, it is neither safe nor legal. Get life insurance before you try it 馃榾

Now what I am wondering is, are you looking for a static method or dynamic. Railway cars already have a battery and dynamo system to generate the electricity as the train moves. If you live near a railway track and you are interested in generating electricity from the passage of a train, I would recommend installing a short enough windmill which can be turned due to the motion of the train. You will require the trains to pass very frequently though.

Piezo is another option but it would fire everytime the train wheels move over it and will give you spikes.

Can you elaborate on the purpose?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i was just practicing my holiday assignment in vb6.0 i wrote an application which connect MS-ACCESS i connected it to default table biblie (some publishers title.) i took four...
UPS FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN Company Introduction: 路A strong expanding product sales and servicesupport organization of critical power & environmental equipment for mission-criticaloperation facilities and data centres. 路Company is looking for...
Hey Guys...Just got to know from my friends that Acer has some cool offers for Indian students who are going abroad for studies. The offer is limited till July 31st.
Hello all, This is my first thread here. iam looking for some one who has bit(good) experience in building hydraulic pack.making one machine which i think will work better with...
i need a seminar on google chrome os with power point presentation.