How to prepare GATE 2015 in mechanical engineering ?

sir, I was very intrested to do m tech in IITs . so iam preparing for gate exam. But i want to know that " During preparation of gate we have to study given syllabus in a subject during acadamic year ( i.e 8 units in subject ) or we have to study whole text book of the subject . plz suggest how to prepare for it ?

Replies

• PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Just take Print out of GATE Syllabus. Follow standard Text Books for studying. Keep Practicing the numericals. Make you Fundamentals Clear and strong. GATE isn't an exam about long numericals, Its about basics. Even sometimes numericals are very basic.

Just buy a 10-12 years old GATE Paper Book and try solving and check where you stand. Do Join a Test Series of Made Easy or ACE Academy. Don't Follow GATEForum Academy. They have one of the bad test series.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    GATE Mechanical Engineering Books -

Engineering Thermodynamics : PK Nag
    IC Engine: ML Mathur and RP Sharma
    Gas Turbine and Propulsive Systems: PR Khajuria & SP Dubey
    Fluid Mechanics: Modi & Seth, RK Bansal, Cengel
    Compressible Flow: SM Yahya
    Heat and Mass Transfer: JP Hollman, RC Sachdeva, Cengel
    Refrigeration and Air Conditioning: CP Arora, Domkundwar
    Fluid Machinery: Jagdish Lal, RK Bansal
    Theory of Machines: RS Khurmi, Malik & Ghosh
    Mechanical Vibration : Grover
    Machine Design: Shigley, VB Bhandari
    Material Science: WD Callister, IP Singh

Production Engineering: Kalpkjian Schmid, Amitabh Ghosh & AK Malik, Swadesh Kumar Singh
    Industrial Engineering: O P Khanna, Buffa & Sarin
    Operations Research: Kanti Swarup
    Strength of Materials: Gere & Timoshenko, BC Punamia, Sadhu Singh
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Engineering Mathematics
    Higher Engineering Mathematics by B.S.Grewal
    Intermediate Mathematics, S.chand publications by B.V.Sastry , K.Venkateswarlu ( if i remember ) both the volumes.
    Probability , statistics and queuing theory by S.C.Gupta & V.K.Kapoor
    Numerical Methods by S.S.Sastry

Applied Mechanics and Design
    Engineering Mechanics
    Engineering Mechanics by Bhavikatti
    Engineering Mechanics by Beer and Johnston,
    Engineering Mechanics by R K Rajput
  • abhi0085
    abhi0085
    can u plz tell me from whr to *t study? im doing apti bt for technical which sub should i prepare first?
  • amit_pawar242
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for blog.
    I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.
  • sureshkumargce
    sureshkumargce
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for blog.
    I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.

Dear Friend,

Every person has same issue about their future and present. To get rid of this complexity we have to do some home work.
    Identify the answer for the following questions,

1. Why should I write GATE?
    2. What are the advantages if I clear my GATE exam?
    3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of my current job?
    4. Is advantage derived from GATE exam greater than that of my current job?
    5. finally, what is the aim of my life?

Based on the aim of our life we can decide whether to be in current job or go to other job.

I opine that as you have registered for GATE course and paid money, continue your preparation. Even if you didn't clear the exam , that preparation will be useful for your career.

And , if you decide to continue the preparation, do concentrate 100% on current work and preparation. what most of us do is, at the time of job we would think about exam preparation and at the time of preparation we would think about job. Getting rid of this convolution will improve the output of our work.

And my final point is , even if didn't clear in our exams what we prepared for prolonged time , that preparation will go nowhere without giving its result. That preparation will be used in somewhere and some other form.

All the best..,
  • Braghav
    Braghav
    Preparing for gate is just concentrate on fundamentals and thinking practically.In graduations there is more concentration on theory but now relate these theoretical concepts with practical examples.If you are not able to cover all syllabus,prepare the limited subjects which you like with perfection.
  • vasupop
    vasupop
    i want to ask that is there any well defined syllabus for gate or we have to cover the whole subject and not certain topics?
  • Eppili
    Eppili
    is it essential to have an aggregate of min 60% in B.E for doing Mtech?
    If its less then can i apply for mtech in private colleges? Is it advisable?
  • Shivtej
    Shivtej
    I am in first year of btech of mechanical engineering. I missed my chance to iit for btech by 4 marks in advanced. But I really want to do my Mtech from a IIT. In which manner I would prepare means more concern with theory or practical or else. Please tell

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The recently launched Motorola G (Moto G) phone shipped with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and a promise that upgrade to Android 4.4 Kit Kat will be made available soon. I've...
WineHQ team has announced the new development release version 1.7.12 with Windows Media Player interface support & 89 total bug-fixes. Along with the inclusion of Windows Media Player interface support,...
I came to know about this concept through the 2012 Movie - The Ship of Theseus. Directed by Anand Gandhi, the film makes you ask questions about identity, justice, beauty,...
KDE Development team is currently working on improving the on-desktop search functionality, Nepomuk; which will be included in the upcoming KDE releases. The iteration of Networked Environment for Personalized Ontology-based...
First of all happy new year to all my sweet and intelligent friends of cean. Now i came to the topic that is the car infotenment system as i know...