How to install latest Linux side by side of Windows 7

I have tried Ubuntu and other variants in virtual machine, but now I am thinking to move to linux now.
I have downloaded linux 13.04 64bit and trying to install along with windows 7, in different partition.
Problem is Linux is offering easy installation with Wubi which supports only up-to Ubuntu 12.10Lts.
Tried installing from USB but but got some error (something like bootable partition not found), in desired partition.
Please give me some tutorial to install linux in different partition along side of windows.
I also don't want to ruin windows partition, it will take me another full day to setup everything.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So, the problem seems to be with your system not able to recognise the USB. Most of the times, the problem lies with how the USB has been created. I'd recommend trying out this program: #-Link-Snipped-# that creates a proper USB. the program requires you to have an ISO ready. Do you have it?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So, the problem seems to be with your system not able to recognize the USB.
    USB booting is fine.. at time of choosing partition. I am getting problem, kind of bootable partition not found.
    I don't want to select windows 7 partition to install linux.

I also used UNetbootin, good tool👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Tried installing from USB but but got some error (something like bootable partition not found), in desired partition.
    Which means you haven't created /boot partition.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's short & simple guide :
    - Insert "Bootable Linux Pendrive".

- When it asks to select the install mode for eg: "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7" , "Install Ubuntu on entire Partition" ,etc. You will see last option saying "Something else" : Click on that.

- Now manually allot partitions :
    /boot (which includes kernel, 250 MB is more than enough)

/ (Root partition, 25 - 30 GB is more than enough even if you gonna install too many of apps)

/home (This partition should be quite big as it has many hidden configuration files & it's most used directory by user, I keep this partition around 115 GB : You can allot as per your use)

SWAP (This partition should be alloted memory 2x times that of your RAM size)

Click on "Next" & Ubuntu will be installed alongside Win7.

By The Way, I have already created a thread for that, I guess : Step-to-step guide to install Linux
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Thanks.. I will try today.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    OK.. I installed Ubuntu but here is the problem , boot optionis not ccoming for Ubuntu
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Weird.

Post the gparted HD partition table please.
    BTW,Have you selected bootloader in same Hard-drive as that of Windows ? (This is recommended)
    Something like sda (first hd) & sdb (2nd).
    You can see the bootloader option under partition table.

It's recommended that bootloader is installed in same partition (eg: sda) where Windows is installed.

Note : Wait, Imma boot 7 & will let you know graphically.

Edit :Image Added
    [​IMG]

You can see that first 2 ntfs partitions are of Windows & 2 x ext4 , a swap partition & another ext4 partition is of Linux.

As Both OS is installed in same hard-drive but different partitions, you can see /dev/sdax.

#-Link-Snipped-# I assume that you've installed both OS in two different Hard-drives.Make sure both OS installed in same hard-drive(eg : sda or sdb or sdc) but different partition.And if you're using sda then install bootloader in sda only.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes HDD is same... And the I shrinked one of my partition and created partitions for boot, root and home as above.

Weird thing is can't able to connect to WiFi from live USB boot, wifi connected but internet not workin. Otherwise I there was an option to repair boot via Internet.

Edit: Its same as your partitions..
    NTFS and Ex4.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Weird thing is can't able to connect to WiFi from live USB boot, wifi connected but internet not workin. Otherwise I there was an option to repair boot via Internet.
    Dell laptop ?

ianoop
    Yes HDD is same... And the I shrinked one of my partition and created partitions for boot, root and home as above.
    I just dual-booted 7 & Kubuntu, I am getting grub while starting the PC with Kubuntu & Windows 7 option.
    What's up with your rig ? 😕
    Show me the gparted partition table screenshot please.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is my partitions.

unknown files systems are linux one.

Capture

I am on desktop.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    That's Windows 8, right ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's windows 7 sp1. FX-AMD+ASUS.
    i have already disabled quick boot and verified that windows waiting time is there.
    So it got to be problem with grub loading.
    trying to update grub : #-Link-Snipped-#
    😒
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    It's windows 7 sp1. FX-AMD+ASUS.
    i have already disabled quick boot and verified that windows waiting time is there.
    So it got to be problem with grub loading.
    trying to update grub : #-Link-Snipped-#
    😒
    Usually when you install any Linux OS after Windows 7 , it automatically installs & updates the grub loader.

ianoop
    Fix : Ubuntu – Error
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    If above kernel source doesn't fix the problem then, choose the correct one from : Ubuntu – Error
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Its power cut due to stormy weather.. I will continue tomorrow😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ok.. this post is coming from ubuntu 13.04😀.
    Had to choose option "install alongside of windows".
    Problem is windows 7 is gone. I can repair W7 from live USB but in that case Ubuntu will not be visible.
    sudo update-grub
    is identifying W7 but not recovering it.
    Somewhere I read easyBCD (in W7) can do the job. Is there anyway I can recover W7 from ubuntu only?
    Meanwhile I installed linuxmint but didn't liked it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    LOL Why your PC is having problems in dual-booting, I don't understand.

ianoop
    Problem is windows 7 is gone. I can repair W7 from live USB but in that case Ubuntu will not be visible.
    This is the reason why I asked you to choose : Something else.

ianoop
    Somewhere I read easyBCD (in W7) can do the job. Is there anyway I can recover W7 from ubuntu only?
    While in boot screen, just select the "Windows 7" : doesn't hitting on that option loads the Windows OS ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    is identifying W7 but not recovering it.
    In Terminal Type :
     sudo os-prober 
    Post it's output.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Also post the content of /boot/grub/grub.cfg . That might give some clue.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I was able to get dual boot (W7 + Ubuntu 13) using EasyBCD . It was working fine.
    But i can't able to resolve issue for wifi and now I installed linux Mint (UI doen't seems perfect, need to tweak it).
    😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CAN ANYBODY SPECIFY THE SUITABLE MATERIAL FOR MAKING GEARS FOR OPTO MECHANICAL INSTRUMENTS USED IN ASTRONOMICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTES.PLEASE PROVIDE THE RELEVANT PROPERTIES FOR THE SAID GEAR MATERIAL.
With everything going green in recent times, the U.S. Special Operation Forces has also decided to contribute to a greener future while still maintaining tactical features with Zero MMX, the...
can led lights can be a good replacement for incandescent lights..or cfls can be used
Almost everyone gets irritated by tangled earphones. Leave them in your bag or pockets for some time and sometime later when you want to enjoy some music you find them...
He guys I need a little help here Can any one help in finding out the pin configuration of Intel core 2 duo processor or dual core processor