How to get onsite or abroad opportunity from IT jobs in India in 2023?

How to get onsite or abroad opportunity from IT jobs in India in 2023?

Even if we know at least 5 different people in our circles who got an opportunity to go on-site at their IT job, very few seem to know how to go about it. Now-a-days engineering graduates join IT companies in India with dream-filled eyes waiting for the opportunity to go on-site/abroad seeing their peers/relatives/friends having gone through the same route.

Now, the debate about whether or not it's great or not to go onsite is an entirely different topic. Ask any average *fresher* guy if he wants to go abroad as a part of his job and you would get a cheerful nod for an answer. The other day I was discussing about this with one of my friends in IT companies and she said she just doesn't know how so many of her friends got to go onsite within just 1.5 years of joining the company. She was asking if someone could give her advice about how to *increase her chances* of getting on-site as soon as possible. What kind of projects/domain/technology she should choose to keep up with the demand of the rapidly changing scenario?

Since we have many people from IT companies here, I thought of inviting views from fellow CEans. What would you suggest? What are your experiences and learning so far? Any comments are welcome.

Update:

How to get onsite opportunities in IT job?

Keep in mind that currently we are going through recession. The US companies are facing a crunch in terms of finance and talent. Onsite opportunities are rare these days and several companies are laying off engineers.

However, situation will improve starting 2024. Which means, you can start preparing your position to be considered for on-site opportunities. Here’s all you can do-

Be in the Good Books of your Manager

Like it or not - your onsite opportunity greatly depends upon your (professional) relationship with your manager.

This is the first step to enhance your chances of getting picked up for an on-site opportunity.

I am making an assumption that there is indeed an opportunity in your project to travel abroad. If there is not; you need to start looking for a project in your company that regularly sends employees onsite.

In general, support projects and banking projects tend to have more onsite opportunities than purely development projects. Yeah, it’s a trade-off you will make for a longer (3+ years) onsite project.

Find a New Job with On-Site Opportunity

These days, finding a job that sends you abroad directly are difficult to find; but not impossible. Negotiate your onsite travel right at the time of interviews with HR.

You will be surprised how HRs open up when negotiating salary offers about onsite opportunities. Make the most out of it.

Proactive Communication and Expressing Interest

Let your manager know that you want to go on-site. This is very basic. Don’t expect your managers to dream about sending you onsite.

When aiming for an on-site opportunity, it's critical to communicate your interest openly with your manager or team leader.

Just being technically proficient may not be enough; your eagerness to take up overseas assignments plays a vital role too.

This is where proactive communication comes in. If you never voice your aspirations, you might get overlooked when opportunities arise, even if you're the most competent engineer on the team.

Honing Domain Expertise and Staying Updated

Now, make it easy for your manager to send you on-site. In the ever-evolving software industry, staying updated with the latest trends, technologies, and developments is crucial.

Extensive domain knowledge can distinguish you from your peers and make you a preferred choice for on-site opportunities.

Engaging in activities like publishing articles, participating in tech meetups, or leading knowledge sharing sessions within your company could further showcase your expertise.

Building In-Demand Skills

Having skills in high-demand areas like cloud computing, artificial intelligence, data analytics, or cybersecurity increases your marketability.

Companies value employees who possess skills that can bring immediate value to their clients, and they often send these individuals to client locations to manage critical projects.

Adding Value to the Project

Any additional value you bring to a project, outside your stipulated roles and responsibilities, significantly boosts your chances of securing an on-site assignment.

Whether it's developing an efficient code testing framework, a project management tool, or even an Excel macro that eases the team's work, these contributions don't go unnoticed.

They demonstrate initiative, problem-solving skills, and commitment to the project’s success, making you an attractive choice for on-site roles.

Make sure that your client is happy working with you. Try to be the main point of contact for all technical and maybe non-technical issues your client raises. They need to think about you whenever they want to get someone to their office.

Acquiring Certifications and Language Proficiency

Acquiring relevant certifications can give you an edge. Completing advanced competency levels, earning certifications in new technologies, or even undertaking foreign language courses can make you stand out.

Language skills, in particular, can be advantageous, especially if you're targeting countries where English isn't the primary mode of communication.

Being Helpful and Supportive

Your interpersonal skills can significantly influence your chances of landing an on-site opportunity. Being helpful, supportive, and reliable can put you in the good books of your project manager or team leader.

A positive rapport with your team and the ability to effectively coordinate can make you an ideal candidate for an on-site role.

Replies

• vinuchel24
    vinuchel24
    I was offered an onsite opportunity with around 2.5 yrs of IT experience at Wipro. Everything boils down to just one requirement : the client or project requirement. I can't comment on other companies but in Wipro a fresher gets to go abroad right from the beginning of his/her 3 rd year. The conventional methods to increase onsite opportunity (wipro) are :
    Extensive domain knowledge (keep up with the latest technical happenings and know hows, publish articles in your company's internal knowledge booster)
    Clearing a higher level of competency than expected (All companies will be having mandatory internal certifications; if one higher level is completed, it adds weightage )
    An addon for the project ( If other than work, if any team member creates an addon (even if it's a basic excel macro to track project progress or man power), it creates a good impression from the client side. So that some clients would naturally give a good feedback for you)
    Hard work and smart work (In my first project, a person who was a software tester, found around 2000 bugs in the test build (a clear Guinness record for the same), Result : clients wanted him onsite at any cost and directly contacted wipro vertical level to have him onsite. He travelled to US with just one year experience. So always value even the smallest client appreciation mails.) So always stay that extra hour in office even after others leave to make your mark.
    A TOEFL/IELTS or even a certification in foreign language : Clearly important as many people face difficulty in handling foreign languages other than English. I have seen even technically mediocre people getting foreign posting as they have done a foundation course in French, german, Chinese etc...... Always remember that people having technical skills will be high, but people with language skills and softskills will be low.
    An extra hand to others : Helps immensely in the role of onsite co-ordinator and also helps you get into good books of project manager, delivery manager etc...

These are the conventional methods. the other no so conventional ones are :
    Becoming extra friendly with the client 😀 . Of course who wouldn't like the extra attention given such that you can be in client's favorite list always (and of course in the next shortlist for onsite)
    Becoming your project managers best friend : as he is the person who draws up the list for VISA initiations
    A bit of show-off to raise your popularity in the project.etc.....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Amazing and detailed response. Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for typing it out. I am pretty sure some of those points will help freshers in IT give that much-needed boost to their performance at work.

Inviting responses from #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    You could share your own experiences if you've had a chance to visit onsite or those of your friends & colleagues. Any kind of experience can be of great help to IT employees.
  • vinuchel24
    vinuchel24
    No problem.. Always happy to share my experiences and thoughts.. One another point I would like to add is that people should be immensely lucky too to get a H1B or B1 visa , which at present involves selection from lots (lucky draws) etc..
    Anyways even though I got to play the role of an onsite coordinator (as backup, from offshore 😀 ) I didn't have the luck of going to a foreign country representing Wipro. Hope all the readers of this post would atleast have the same.. 😀
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    I would like to add if you are eligible for onsite opportunity you should be lucky enough that your visa process goes smoothly,because lot of hurdles comes.
    1: you should be selected in lucky draw if you applying for H1
    2:you should be selected in the Interview process at US embassy.
    3:you should have the TOEFL/IELTS certificate if required.
    4:you should not any serious medical health issues and get a medical certificate that claims of no diseases.
    The project which has requirement you should have the well domain knowledge and troubleshooting skills and think from the user perspective view.this makes increase your credibility and chances.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Will like to again tag #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# if they have any insights to offer on this topic.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    For engineers be aware of this
    dt150413

BTW,
    It depends your project needs onsite or not. But for preparation of getting higher chances or say getting 1st one to go onsite is already suggested by @#-Link-Snipped-# and others.
    One thing for sure is, you should be good in 'communication' skills for to be top in onsite job. Technical ??👀
    Moreover, why onsite is only being considered here for US. There are other countries where you will able earn more money. I am pretty sure all the developed countries pay well including Australia, Europe countries, Canada and Gulf (safer one).
    In Australia, Indian software engineers are considered better than theirs.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks for your insights #-Link-Snipped-# I agree with you on the bit about communication skills. I have seen in my time at TCS that those who could talk really well were primely on the radar of the managers and Tech Leads to be chosen for on-site opportunities. I guess it's because even if a person is really good technically, if he/she can't communicate about doubts/solutions with the off shore team, there's no point in flying him all the way to another country.

However, this discussion is for freshers who have this ambition of going on-site within 2-3 years of joining a MNC. How can they *better* their chances?
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    No thumb rule or criteria as such. Depends on your project req + your overall impression in your project(not technically or communication wise), Rapport with manager and etc.
    But one thing is sure you wont get it unless you ask for it or show some willingness or interest. And if there is competition they yes you need do whatever required for it.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Frooty
    But one thing is sure you wont get it unless you ask for it or show some willingness or interest.
    Sometime you can be too good to be ignored from Onsite chances😀.

To earn money from onsite, you should choose service based company and try to be on project of onsite requirement.
    There are less chance that you can get onsite from Product based organization and that is too for short period of time.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have a feeling that this discussion is going to turn out to be an important resource for all engineers turned IT employees in the near future.
    I hope we can add more points and experiences here in days to come.

For any average employee, the idea of an onsite opportunity is a dream because of one of the following reasons:

1. Making more money in a short period.

-In most cases, you will get more monthly salary than you current paycheck amount.

2. Explore different cities & travel.

- If your current project does not allow you to take more than a day's leave, chances are that you can't go on a long holiday. With an onsite opportunity you get to explore a new country at least on weekends.

3. Getting to learn directly from the onsite boss.

- Many times employees crave for hands-on training about the project and video calls and documents shared aren't enough. Once you get to go on-site, you can learn on-the-job from people who are working there.

I've heard that there are two kinds of companies that can offer you onsite opportunities quicker than others.

1. IT service companies like TCS or Infosys because they have an onsite rotation schedule and within 3-4 years chances of you getting an onsite opportunity is quite high as the clients are mostly based in US or UK.

2. The IT ompanies who have a big workforce employed abroad and their offshore base is a bit smaller. These companies send you abroad on short trips which can range from a couple of weeks to six months.

Anyone here can add some more points here?
  • Siddharth Bhardwaj
    Siddharth Bhardwaj
    I am about to enter in IT Job Market, please tell how you feel like being in IT field are you satisfied with it, what about stress and Job insecurity ,how is your financial condition and in how many years i will be promoted wether i will ever be able to buy my own home and car working in IT ,you get the idea what i am curious about so please i beg you experience holders answer me ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Not sure how this post got missed. Anyway, answering it here and now.
    Siddharth Bhardwaj
    please tell how you feel like being in IT field
    It feels good. Especially if you are a fresher in the industry, you will enjoy all the perks that an Indian IT Life brings. When I say 'perks', I mean the following -

1. Free coffee (and even free food in some companies.)
    2. Flexible working hours (unless you are a highly useful resource, nobody bothers much if you come an hour late or leave an hour early.)
    3. The training or induction period (lasting for ~ 3 months) where it feels like college away from college.
    4. The first day of every month when the salary gets deposited in your account & the new found freedom to spend it.
    5. New project. Meeting new people. Learning what work you'll do for next couple of years.

Siddharth Bhardwaj
    are you satisfied with it
    This question is really tough to answer. I know both kinds of people. Ones who are dissatisfied since day one - with respect to their job title, location, project domain, technology, the bosses, the colleagues and what not. Then there are ones who never seem to complain. They take the good days and the bad days with equal enthusiasm either they work hard to cope up to pressure or simply shrug off and go on leaves even when there's a pile of work pending at their desk.
    To stay satisfied or not is a personal choice. It will differ for everyone based on their background and aspirations.

Siddharth Bhardwaj
    what about stress and Job insecurity
    Be it a small company or a huge MNC, stress at work is a common phenomena, but you may be very lucky to never experience it also. There are both cases here. I have friends in IT who slog even through the weekend, come home on weekdays late and stay up for -on-call conferences and I also have friends who spend more time in the cafeteria at work than at their desk. So, stress at work is a matter of luck and the kind of projects you are put-in or choose to get involved in. Slow projects can be stress-free, but huge spoilers for your resume (in case you are looking for hopping to another company) and fast-paced, highly-demanding projects can leave you with no personal time. People sometimes even have to work-from-home on holidays.

Job insecurity is a rising issue in companies across the world. Lay-offs are a common thing in the IT world and many employees receive the pink slip if the company plans to cut down on its resources. There's no job guarantee, but that doesn't mean it will always happen to you. The percentage is pretty low. In fact, a lot of times you will see companies struggling to keep their employees on board. Employee retention is a tough challenge for IT companies as job-hopping in rampant. You really need to prove yourself to be a valuable not-easily-replaceable resource, to be entitled for job security.

Siddharth Bhardwaj
    how is your financial condition
    Financial condition of most IT professionals is sound. If you spend frugally in the initial years, save up and invest the money well, you should be really well financially. Do not fall into the trap of crazy spending and being left with empty pockets in last week of every month. Try to stay away from EMIs and huge credit card bills as much as possible and you can quickly get yourself to your position where you no more have to look at price-tags when buying things.

Siddharth Bhardwaj
    in how many years i will be promoted
    Each company has a fixed appraisal cycle and promotions take place bi-yearly or quicker depending upon your skills and background. At every appraisal, depending upon the grade that you get from your immediate seniors, you will get a pay-raise. Promotions are highly dependent on your team size and what kind of role you are in.

Siddharth Bhardwaj
    wether i will ever be able to buy my own home and car working in IT
    Sure. Absolutely. Every IT professional I know owns either a home or a car or both within 3-4 years of working in IT and saving up big time. A big chunk of their payment comes from home loans and car loans. Depending upon your salary, you will be eligible for a certain amount of home or car loan. It's not very risky to get a loan, but once you get a loan and have to work for those EMIs that you have to pay, you are stuck in a vicious cycle where you can't take rest or take time out from work just because you want to. Planning for home & car loans is a big challenge. One that needs to be taken by consulting a financial advisor. But, owning a car and a home isn't a big deal if you invest 4-5 years at your IT job.

I hope I answered most of your questions. Though they are not in line with the theme of this discussion, I hope future IT job aspirants will find it helpful.

If anyone has any questions about getting onsite opportunities from IT jobs in India, shoot below.
  • gagsraj09
    gagsraj09
    Going through all the responses written predominately says that we need to serve an Organisation that would probably send you onsite if they really have an opportunity. However is there any way if you are experienced in IT field and want to go onsite directly on payrolls of particular abroad organisation without being on the payrolls of their Indian counterparts? Any experiences where an Individual has looked for a particular onsite opportunity applied for it been through the selection process and himself worked out for VIA and is currently on payrolls of the Organisation abroad?
    Thanks in Advance for all the experiences shared 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gagsraj09
    However is there any way if you are experienced in IT field and want to go onsite directly on payrolls of particular abroad organisation without being on the payrolls of their Indian counterparts?
    It's not impossible; but not very straightforward either. Sometimes, the companies do conduct walk-ins for experienced professionals and offer them positions. I personally have known someone who was working with leading hardware company in India and was recruited directly by a firm in Europe.

On the other hand, CEan #-Link-Snipped-# might tell you about his journey of working for Indian services company and then finally joining Google.
  • Rashmi Gandhi
    Rashmi Gandhi

Believe it or not, I think it's not that easy to get onsite in IT companies in India. Many keep trying for years but still don't get a chance. Also, some seem to get immediately after joining in 1 year.. However, I think these are quite the fewer ones. 

My question therefore is - Is it based purely on luck or skills? A combination of both?

I think it's not right to join any IT company only with that single dream in mind i.e. to go onsite. 

I heard from my seniors that you need great interpersonal skills and knowing how to get to those people who send you onsite. For example, you need to talk to your managers daily in breaks. Also everyone is saying, onsite opportunities have declined these days.

It's getting harder to get Visa. A friend said that it is based on lottery system these days. ? ? 

Would love to know what members here think....

• Bala Venkat
    Bala Venkat

Mechanical guys can't even think of going abroad in their first jobs after engineering.. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Mechanical engineering folks can go on-site. In fact, my friend's brother was sent on-site to Germany for 3-month training program on the latest technology they were working on. This was about 10 years ago and I don't know the details. But yeah, Mechanical engineers do have a chance to go on-site. 

It could be different from the typical IT on-sites which lasts from few weeks to several years. Most of the IT onsite happens on banking projects which typically involve maintenance of legacy systems. 

• Jenny Taylor
    Jenny Taylor

Getting the onsite project I believe is more of luck that your skills in Indian IT Stream. I saw many Indian IT folks who gets onsite opportunity only after spending much more time in the company.

Most of them dont come back and settle for getting paid higher. This case is seen everywhere.

Many people make moves to another company  just to get a chance to go abroad. Lucky are those who already had some experience of  onsite with their previous employer. They might get sent very easily. 

Getting Visa is another tedious task. I have seen deserving people just dont get Visa and force to work offshore just because of cancellation or any other trouble getting Visas.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HELLO!Myself Sreejit Menon!!I am a 2014 B.E Graduate in electronics and telecommunication.I am currently working in a networking sector!!i have two options in front of me!!Either Cisco certifications or M.TECH...
Indian smartphone manufacturing company, Intex, has come up with its next smartphone, Intex Aqua i5 Octa, in India. Thus, adding another smart product in its Aqua series. You can have...
Hi i am YeduKondalu,Presently pursuing my B.Tech. hope i will have time here.
i have done btech. in electronics and communication now i getting a job in drive test, rf survey . As i have done a research on job ,i have got...
Quote: The collection at the Headquarters Library now numbers around 600 000 standards, specifications, codes, test methods and techncial regulations issued by different ISO member bodies, international standardizing bodies such...