How to find and replace with a newline in Excel? [SOLVED]

I'm looking for the set of characters I need to enter in the 'Replace With' section of the 'Find and Replace' window. I've multiple cells in the following format:-
  • AAAA+++BBBB+++CCCC
Which I want to format as

AAAA
BBBB
CCCC

In the 'Find' section, I've entered +++ and now looking for suggestions on what to enter in the 'Replace With' section. I've tried with everything from CHAR(10), CHAR(13), CTRL+j, CTRL+J and \n. Nothing seems to work. Some of the videos on the Internet point out that CTRL+J works on Windows. But I'm using Excel for Mac and equivalent commands for Excel for Mac don't seem to work.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I think it's just a matter of how patient you are while searching! I found the answer after posting the question. So here's the 'DEFINITIVE' SOLUTION!

There's no direct way to add a newline to your text. You can do so by using formulas; and the "SUBSTITUTE" function in Excel.

Use the Formula:-
    =SUBSTITUTE(CELLNUMBER, TEXT TO FIND, REPLACEMENT TEXT)
    Example:

You have the following text in cell A2:-
    • AAAA+++BBBB+++CCCC
    Now, go to cell B2 (which would be an empty cell) and enter-

=SUBSTITUTE(A2, "+++", CHAR(13))

That formula tells excel to LOOK FOR TEXT "+++" IN CELL NUMBER A2 AND REPLACE IT WITH CHAR(13)

CHAR(13) is your newline character that enters a new line in your text! 😀

All the best!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The last time I was stuck in traffic, it made me wonder if personal vehicle is really a favorite mode of commute. Here's a small poll for CEans. What would...
Inspired by the "Song you are listening right now', here's a thread for the book lovers. Just leave the name of the book and author in replies. A line or...
I am starting this series on my own. I will pick a random quote that I love and post it here everyday. 😀 If you like them, shower the love...
MIT researchers have developed a new material than can morph its surface into golf ball-like dimples to reduce air resistance. Golf enthusiasts claim that the dimpled surface of a golf...
Going by the tagline 'designed for active learning and active students', the new gadget called the Panasonic 3E is a convertible device launched in collaboration with Intel Education and Microsoft....