1. Become a Developer for CrazyEngineers - Apply NOW!

How to download OSX Yosemite Public Beta?

Discussion in 'Gadgets | Software | Apps' started by Kaustubh Katdare, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kaustubh Katdare

Kaustubh Katdare Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    I've been trying to download the public beta (non-developer) license of OSX Yosemite, which Apple announced just a few hours ago at WWDC 2014. Apple said that the preview will be available on link http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/ , however, I see OSX Mavericks on that link. There's no way to access the download.

If anyone of you has successfully downloaded the new OSX, please let me know how to download it. Can't wait to try out all the new things in OSX 10.0 :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Turns out that the actual link to download the public beta is different. A little searching and reading on the Internet lead me to this link: http://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram - which is the official page for all non-developers to sign up for the OSX Beta program. I just signed up and it says that I'll receive a notification as soon as OSX Yosemite is available for download.

Once the software is ready, Apple will send a redemption code for the App Store. After entering the code, the App Store will show the latest OSX beta which you can download and test your machine. As it goes for every beta program, you'll have to deal with bugs and there won't be any official support provided. So try it out on your own risk.

3. Michael Pollak

Michael Pollak Apprentice

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    Hello. I signed up to see if you've received your email to install the community beta yet. I and 2 of my friends have not.

4. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Not yet. Have the started rolling out the invites to the non-developers?

5. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I've been contacting the Developer department, and now they are saying they aren't responsible for beta software. A few people told be the emails for non-developers were being sent out in cycles, and other people like on the Apple support etc, have told me the emails have not been sent out.

6. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    I remember reading somewhere that the public beta download codes for App Store will be rolled out starting 22nd June. I'll just wait and watch. I was wondering if I should download it from a torrent site; but then decided against it.

7. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I will admit I did just that. I know of the website that it's the legit Yosemite beta, however you don't get the Feedback Assistant feature.

Oh now I can edit my post, not instantly. Anyways, one Apple rep told me that right when sign ups began, they were bombarded with signups, well over 1 million, so I guess no one truly knows if they got in or not.

I was going to keep my torrented version of Yosemite, but it's really not worth it unless you can report issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    It's irritating my friends and I that Apple has not sent the emails out yet. I have always wanted to help them and be a beta tester, and this is my chance, although technically I've wanted to beta test devices in hand, but I was told they don't do that often.

9. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Your best bet is to request a free developer account for year and report few show stoppers. I doubt Apple will give away a free account though.

10. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I did not know I could request a free account for a year. But I'm almost positive I'll have to put a credit card down for after that year ends. But yeah Apple I doubt would give a free account to anyone.

11. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    Hello again. I received Mavericks seed update, and I was told that is supposed to be received. I deleted Yosemite off my system as it's not the official beta to submit issues. I reinstalled Mavericks today, my app store preferences says I will receive seed beta updates. I received the Mavericks 10.9.4 seed update earlier after reinstalling Mavericks. I hope maybe you're right about tomorrow getting Yosemite beta.

12. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    I'm currently on 10.9.3 and I don't see anything in the App Store updates. It looks like there aren't any major changes in the 10.9.4 version. I'll just wait till they release the Yosemite public beta.

13. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    What I'm saying is Apple told me that the Mavericks 10.9.4 Seed a Update I got is a good thing. Maybe something will occur on Sunday!

14. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    The Mavericks seed 10.9.4 build 13E19 included Feedback Assistant. I clicked on it and it had me update it to be compatible with Yosemite. But as of now no Yosemite beta for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    No luck for me, yet. I'm pretty sure I'm in the first million people who applied for the public beta program. Where are all the mac users on CE?

16. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    It's upsetting! It should be available to us soon as they plan to release it in full in the fall.

17. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Alright, I'm still to receive the notification for Yosemite Public Beta download. Wondering whether anyone here at CE has received an invite or notification in the App store?

18. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    How do you for certain know that you're to receive the public beta? I was told the system was overloaded with sign ups when the website came back up to allow people to sign up. But anyways, I have not received an invite or any notification in the App Store. However, it should be close because today they released OS X 10.9.4 to us.

19. Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Well I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I was among the first million people to sign up for it. This message comes from OSX 10.9.4. Hoping for something to pop-up that has 'Yosemite' written somewhere :D

20. Michael Pollak

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I am as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be soon. OS X was in beta for a while and is now here. Now we should get OS X Yosemite Beta.

• Like Like x 1
: Apple, OSX