How to Cultivate the Art of Serendipity

Srendipity - The art of accidental discovery perhaps can be learnt. If true this has enormous importance for all, specially engineers.
Quote:
DO some people have a special talent for serendipity? And if so, why?
In 2008, an inventor named Steve Hollinger lobbed a digital camera across his studio toward a pile of pillows. Today, Mr. Hollinger holds six patents related to throwable cameras.
A surprising number of the conveniences of modern life were invented when someone stumbled upon a discovery or capitalized on an accident: the microwave oven, safety glass, smoke detectors, artificial sweeteners, X-ray imaging. Many blockbuster drugs of the 20th century emerged because a lab worker picked up on the “wrong” information.
Endquote
Opinion | How to Cultivate the Art of Serendipity - The New York Times

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Lifehacker launched exactly ten years ago today (happy birthday to us)! In light of the occasion, let’s take a look back at some of the most popular posts we’ve...
surveying is an important topic for GATE or not??????
I fail most of the ten. You may not agree with many either. Quote: So much of being successful at your job has little to do with the actual work...
Hello. I have completed my engineering in 2015 and now i want to do m tech in CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT. Can any one tell me good 5 construction management colleges where...
The newly launched wearable gaming platform 'SuperSuit' created by Bangalore-based firm MadRat Games, is one gift parents all over would happily buy their children. Not only has it got all...