How To Crack IES 2016 Engineering exam - Preparation Tips!

mam, plz tell latest IES syllabus for electrical branch...also tel what it takes to crack this exam? Should we keep attempting it in the hope of cracking it?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    SAJAL MAURYA
    mam, plz tell latest IES syllabus for electrical branch...also tel what it takes to crack this exam? Should we keep attempting it in the hope of cracking it?
    Hi Sajal, #-Link-Snipped-# You can now download the IES Syllabus for Electrical Engineering here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

As far as preparation for IES is concerned, it differs from person to person and how much they are confident with the basics of every topic. I recommend that you go through the past year papers and analyze them thoroughly. Find out the kind of questions that need the most work.

You definitely need to attempt every exam you take WITH the hope of cracking it. There's no other way I guess.

Here are some books that you can use in your course of studying for the exam.
    • Arihant Publication - General Studies
    • Upkar Publication - General Studies
    • RPH Editorials
    • Made Easy Publishers
    • Disha Publication - Disha Experts
    • RS Agrawal
    • GK Publication
    • Lucent Publication - General Studies
    • The Hindu - Daily New Paper for Current Affairs
    • Economic Times
    • Economic Survey
    • Chronicle Magazine
    • Frontline Magazine
    • Wizard Magazine
    • Success Mirror
    • RP Sharma
    • ML Mathur
    • PK Nag, Cengel and Boles for Engineering subject
    All the best.
  • SAJAL MAURYA
    SAJAL MAURYA
    thanks mam....
    presently,I'm in 3rd year,6th sem...plz tel me the steps for the preparation of IES exam which I need to take from now on regularly...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi Sajal, I am not sure what you want to know by 'steps'. Read the syllabus. Mark the difficult portions. Start studying from the books. Go through past question papers and solve them. Try to score as high as possible in mock tests.
  • SAJAL MAURYA
    SAJAL MAURYA
    thanks mam...
  • SAJAL MAURYA
    SAJAL MAURYA
    mam,plz tell best book for reasoning and general ability for IES exam..
  • SAJAL MAURYA
    SAJAL MAURYA
    mam,plz tell best book of reasoning for IES exam...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    You may use both R.S. Agrawal's book for Aptitude and Quantitative Aptitude Test: By T. S. Jain-Upkar publication
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am guessing that (unlike GATE), students will have to prepare a lot harder for IES, especially because there are descriptive questions too. Those require some smart & hard efforts.
    Special tips for general studies:
    Collect the past 10 years question papers and mark the categories of questions asked. It could be Geography, Indian Politics, History, Economics etc. For Geography and History, NCERT prescribed standard 9th & 10th books are great. For knowing current affairs, other than reading newspapers, students can refer to the Civil Services Chronicle for past 5-6 months and informative magazines like Pratiyogita Darpan.
  • sharad valvi
    sharad valvi
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I am mechanical engg. I want to crack IES exam. please mam give me trick to crack this exam. how to prepare for this exam from home
  • kamal hossain
    kamal hossain
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi Sajal, #-Link-Snipped-# You can now download the IES Syllabus for Electrical Engineering here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

As far as preparation for IES is concerned, it differs from person to person and how much they are confident with the basics of every topic. I recommend that you go through the past year papers and analyze them thoroughly. Find out the kind of questions that need the most work.

You definitely need to attempt every exam you take WITH the hope of cracking it. There's no other way I guess.

Here are some books that you can use in your course of studying for the exam.
    • Arihant Publication - General Studies
    • Upkar Publication - General Studies
    • RPH Editorials
    • Made Easy Publishers
    • Disha Publication - Disha Experts
    • RS Agrawal
    • GK Publication
    • Lucent Publication - General Studies
    • The Hindu - Daily New Paper for Current Affairs
    • Economic Times
    • Economic Survey
    • Chronicle Magazine
    • Frontline Magazine
    • Wizard Magazine
    • Success Mirror
    • RP Sharma
    • ML Mathur
    • PK Nag, Cengel and Boles for Engineering subject
    All the best.

hi mam, can u please tell me which is the BEST book for OBJECTIVE MECHANICAL ENGG.
    1)rk jain
    2)rk rajput
    3)rs khurmi
  • SAJAL MAURYA
    SAJAL MAURYA
    mam,is 65% required in btech for appearing in IES?
    also,my next query is, that if I study from some other book for my semester exams..,from which i understand more...so,it would be difficult to prepare from standard prescribed books for IES?
  • Suresh Raj M
    Suresh Raj M
    Hi IES(Electrical) multiple questions with solved answer book and Electrical department multiple questions and answer with Explanation and easy to observe the concept simply like that book it should be cover the syllabus of IES(Electrical) paper and other electrical oriented exam also did you know any strong recomended book pls refer it with authour name and publication it will be more help for me and others pls refer it
  • Suresh Raj M
    Suresh Raj M
    Ankita Katdare
    Suresh Raj M
    Hi IES(Electrical) multiple questions with solved answer book and Electrical department multiple questions and answer with Explanation and easy to observe the concept simply like that book it should be cover the syllabus of IES(Electrical) paper and other electrical oriented exam also did you know any strong recomended book pls refer it with authour name and publication it will be more help for me and others pls refer it
  • vsvivek99
    vsvivek99
    mam which will be a good branch to crack ies among civil and mechanical . . .while i am interested in both equally !
  • vsvivek99
    vsvivek99
    mam which will be a good branch to crack ies among civil and mechanical . . .while i am interested in both equally !
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Are you opting for IES 2016 engineering services exam or 2015?
    Both branches have its good points. It is entirely based on your interest. The kind of job you want to do after completing the exam. It is difficult to pass a judgment on the basis of the information you have provided.
  • Raghu_24
    Raghu_24
    Hi Mam,
    I'm working in one MNC and I wanted to write IES, I'm kind of confused now where to start, shall I start my prep by referring to material or textbooks which I studied in my collage or new set of books. can you please help me out?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are some useful tips for IES ESE preparation:

1. Take only one subject at a time (Considering that you have more than 6 months, there's ample time to cover all topics)
    2. Study every subject in two ways: 1. Objective point of view. 2. Subjective point of view.
    3. After completing one subject, start solving the 10 year questions both objective and subjective.
    4. Mark the questions that you couldn't get right and read about them again from the official textbooks.
    5. Practice with set time. Set alarm clock in your phone to 60 minutes and try solving 60 questions in 60 minutes.
    6. Now if you don't get some of them right, try solving them without a time limit and see how many you get right. For the wrong ones, refer the books and see what went wrong.
    7. For subjective paper, solve the questions that you know the answers correctly to at first (in the first 6-8 sheets) then go for the questions that you dont know the answer to. This will help in building the confidence of the paper checker.
    8. Use diagrams, flowcharts and formulae to explain your answers better.
  • Shailesh vaidya
    Shailesh vaidya
    If am preparing for gate and ies both can i go for a parallel study. I Am a mechanical final year student
  • Shivaprasad.V
    Shivaprasad.V
    Sir/Madam,
    I have graduated in mechanical engineering in 2015, I'm willing to take IES Exams so help me in sorting out the best resources To crack the exam by self study.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Have you gone through the posts written above you? Surely they can help you in your preparations.
  • shemale thakubai
    shemale thakubai
    hii i am shemale thakubai my question is for ies exam gate exam is compulasory
  • DINESH C V
    DINESH C V
    help me for general english.... best way to start and how to practice.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    DINESH C V
    Start by reading English novels. That's the best way to learn the language.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    DINESH C V
    For IES 2016 English part preparation, focus on the grammar part.
    Practice solving questions that involve spotting errors or sentence and paragraph arrangements.
    Instead of rot-learning synonyms and antonyms, go for questions about word substitution and reading comprehension.
    Dedicate 2 hours daily for IES English Prep. Also dedicate 1 hour for preparation of General Studies. Divide it into 6 parts. Focus most on point number 4 and 6.
    1. History
    2. Politics
    3. Geography
    4. Economics
    5. Life Sciences
    6. Current Affairs
  • bhargavi k gowda
    bhargavi k gowda
    Hello mam, plz send me d syllabus for ies exam for electronics and communication
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bhargavi k gowda
    Hello mam, plz send me d syllabus for ies exam for electronics and communication
    Here you go: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • barani logeswari
    barani logeswari
    I'm studying final year ECE our text books is enough to prepare for IES exam
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    barani logeswari
    I'm studying final year ECE our text books is enough to prepare for IES exam
    IES Electronics Reference Books
  • Rajkumarknit
    Rajkumarknit
    i am final year student of electrical engineering . mam actually my gk is very bad .please guide me in proper way to clear this exam . please refer me some text book
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# The best way to improve GK is by reading a lot. I have a friend who gives 3 hours daily to read about 6-7 newspapers (in English and regional languages). He says it gives him a clear idea about the news from all its aspects and also gets to read different opinions on the same issue. Apart from that, if you really want to focus on general knowledge, get all the good books available in the market and start solving them. Whenever you come across a new topic (that you haven't read about before - be it a person's name or event), google and read about it. Doing this repeatedly will help you build a strong base.

Some of the books I'd suggest are:
    • All NCERT books for 9th and 10th standard. (Read them thoroughly)
    • Tata Mcgraw Hill Publication's General Studies
    • IES And PSUs 2013: General Studies (English) 3rd Edition
    • Topic-wise Solved Papers UPSC IES Engineering Services Examination General Ability - by G.K. Publications
    • Chapter-wise Solved Papers IES English and General Ability By Arihant
    Check out the kind of questions they ask for general studies paper in the images below. You will get an idea of the kind of questions asked. They want you to cover everything from geography to science, politics to biology. So, you have a wide scope.
  • vineet uniyal
    vineet uniyal
    Hi
    plz tell me the latest syllabus of IES for mechanical branch...
    and some tips to crack it with a good score.
  • akash494553
    akash494553
    mam..
    i want to know age eligibility.current i m working in NMDC,PSU..my DOB is 2/3/1986.kindly tell i will be eligible for IES 2016 OR UPTO IES2017..WAITING FOR KIND RESPONSE
  • Allauddin Naganoor
    Allauddin Naganoor
    Hi Im allauddin,

Done Engineering in Information science. Am I eligible to take IES 2016.
    Of yes please give me the link to fill the application and IES Syllabus.
    you can send email to to #-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you
  • sumit1990
    sumit1990
    mam how many average no. of objective questions and conventional questions one should solve in 24 hours to crack ies 2016
  • sumit1990
    sumit1990
    mam how many average no. of objective and conventional questions one should solve in 24 hrs to crack ies
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Application form link: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • prasad pradip gajane
    prasad pradip gajane
    Respected sir/madam,
    I am student of be extc and preparing for ies 2017.Can anyone suggest me good book for Basics of Material Science and Engineering in the section of General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    prasad pradip gajane
    Respected sir/madam,
    I am student of be extc and preparing for ies 2017.Can anyone suggest me good book for Basics of Material Science and Engineering in the section of General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper?
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-# There are several good books that you can use for studying Material Science and Engineering. Some good titles for topics wise are:

For Thermodynamics -
    • Physical Chemistry of metals by LS Gurry & R W Darken
    • Textbook of Materials and Metallurgical Thermodynamics by Ahindra Ghosh
    Extractive metallurgy -
    • Principles of Extractive Metallurgy by Ahindra Ghosh & H S Ray
    • Iron & Steel Making by Ahindra Ghosh & H S Ray
    Physical Metallurgy -
    • Introduction to Physical Metallurgy by Avner
    • Physical Metallurgy by V Raghavan
    Mechanical Metallurgy -
    • Mechanical Metallurgy by G E Deiter or Deformation
    • Fracture Mechanics by R W Hertzberg
    Some general books include:
    • Material Science and Engineering By I.P. Singh, Subhash Chander, R.K. Prasad
    • Materials Science and Engineering by Callister
    • Ceramic Materials - Science and Engineering - Barry Carter, M G Norton
    If you need on other specific topics, please ask.
  • Jaimeet1993
    Jaimeet1993
    Mam as for ese 2017 paper pattern and syllabus is changed and it affected g.s. and English as a whole subject then how to prepare for this new g.s. studies which are new and no reference books are available ?
  • Heeresh Shrivas
    Heeresh Shrivas
    Hello mam I am heeresh done B.tech in biomedical working now but mam I want to clear the gate or ies exam so first I want to know am I eligible to be a part of this exam if yes then how I will prepare and which is the helpfull book and what are the ways to study please let me know .

Thanks .

Heeresh

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of users seem to be looking for the best BSNL broadband plan for home. The problem with this is that you can't simple point at a plan and...
If you have been waiting to own your own XBOX in India, Microsoft has a sweet surprise for you. In its bid to expand its hold on the Indian market...
Project Abstract / Summary : Drone is an unmanned quad-copter specially engineered for problems related to Search operations, Traffic monitoring, Quick Delivery of products, Aerial Surveillance and much more. The...
hello friends, i am working on a project of rc car. And there are few questions in my mind about how to design the chassy. 1. what are the factors...
IRCTC has now enabled the Cash On Delivery aka CoD facility for those who are not comfortable using their credit cards, debit cards or net-banking for buying tickets. The facility...