How to convert a cars alternator to a motor?

How to convert a cars alternator to a motor simply at home with basic tools?

Replies

• sasuke
    sasuke
    This project i not recomend. Better buy new motor if you need motor.

Alternator is one name of generator
    Before that need to know what type of this alternator, is that permanent magnet DC generator (dynamo), induction generator or sycronous generator.

From basic concept, it can act as genarator and motor. if voltage supply to it, it will become motor. If rotation give at the it rotor, it will become generator.

Normally generator produce AC voltage. For alternator, there have electronic component to convert this AC voltage to DC voltage. This converter call as rectifier.

Since you need to convert alternator to motor. You need to remove this rectifier circuit. then you can supply AC voltage but you need to design the AC voltage spec as follow the alternator winding spec. I dont think you can find this spec. You need to find the frequency, voltage, current spec for this winding. You can try to use external variable AC supply.

gud luck & take caution of danger.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey, First year engineering student and my project is to build a go cart for my class and was wondering if anyone had any kind of input on a steering...
I hope its not another silly April Fool's joke by Google, but it looks like HTML5 is capable of working as a game rendering engine. Couple of webkit engineers at...
Many third and final year engineering students must have completed their projects by now (am I too late/early in saying this? I've no clue!). I'm wondering whether anyone would like...
hi is there any one who can guide me in selecting topic for mini project and i m very confused indoing that i need to know how to do mini...
Hi my friends..i am Sai Krishna studying in Lords inst of Eng and Tech,3rd year 2 sem EEE under the affliation of JNTU,Hyderabad,i need some ideas in my mini project....