How to control a ceiling fan with any bluetooth device (e.g a mobile phone)?

am a student. and i need to know if it is possible to control a ceiling fan with any bluetooth device (e.g a mobile phone). and how can this be done. i would really appreciate a reply.thanks

Replies

• rohit330
    rohit330
    I've heard about kind of idea..But its not BT. Instead an Ir sensor is connected to the fan/light, provided the mobile phone supports ir connectivity.
  • icehari
    icehari
    you can use the concept of controlling/changing tv channels with the infra red remote.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yep, IR would be the way to go. I know a house that has a ceiling fan/light with a remote control for fan speed and light.
  • priyank_180
    priyank_180
    You can use IR sensor used in tv control system.
  • angel.reign07
    angel.reign07
    jbozee
    am a student. and i need to know if it is possible to control a ceiling fan with any bluetooth device (e.g a mobile phone). and how can this be done. i would really appreciate a reply.thanks
    That is a impressive idea nor propose that you can control a ceiling fan with a device using a bluetooth.. That is my first time i heard about that controlling a ceiling fan by bluetooth (mobile phone):

gohm
    Yep, IR would be the way to go. I know a house that has a ceiling fan/light with a remote control for fan speed and light.
    Oh, when did you vist my house? *wide grin*

Yeah, IR would be the easiest, but remember that mobile phones equipped with IR (more specifically, IrDA.. under 1m) is not long range and is more directional. If your okay with those issues, then stick with IR 😀

If you can get hold of a bluetooth module, you can interface it with a microcontroller to operate with simple commands. Bluetooth has longer ranges and is omni directional.
  • binu_ji
    binu_ji
    yes its possible to control the Electrical devices through bluetooth from mobile. Check this thread.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    Are you going to send some data to your fan? You know the answer right. So, Bluetooth implementation doesnt makes much sense. We never send BINARY data like on or off signals with bluetooth.

yes, If you are looking to innovate or invent some implementation of bluetooth technology , than it sounds ok. Else if you are looking some remote controlled solution for your home fan, than there are already IR kits available in market which could be assembled and installed at your home.

If you agree with the above thought you can post comment on my blog as well.
  • slipfriction
    slipfriction
    I noticed you said you're a student so let me tell you how I would do it. I would use the Atmel AT76C551 bluetooth controller, it might be too powerful for such a project but why not? You could always put a bluetooth speaker phone in your ceiling fan! You would have to write an application for the mobile phone for which I recommend Java. The firmware and circuitry would be very complicated for a simple ceiling fan controller, who knows........you could maybe adapt it to something commercial, like controlling a whole warehouse (worth of ceiling fans) from a mobile phone or laptop. Cheers!
  • tirevn
    tirevn
    Does anyone know how to do this yet? I have a blackberry curve and a mac with bluetooth and it would be amazing to be able to turn the ceiling fan on and off without having to point the remote directly at the bottom of the fan when you're 2 feet away.

The idea of bluetooth isn't just to send data, it is also to control things from up to 30 ft from the device you want to control.
  • yosha77
    yosha77
    If you want to develop a new tool which will be different from others and cost saving as well than we are looking forward to that otherwise there are many home controlling equipments which can be used to do such kind of commands with single button.

Boy you guys are coming with some great ideas and suggestion. I just read a thread on the mobile jammers and now controlling fan with mobile phone.

This one will be really impressive. But I heard that such kind of tools and equipment already present in the market.
    thats a impressive idea
  • vyas_hetul
    vyas_hetul
    jbozee
    if u have a details about it then pls mail me i want to take this in my project of final year of electrical engg thanks..........hetul vyas:
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    vyas_hetul=>
    if u have a details about it then pls mail me i want to take this in my project of final year of electrical engg thanks..........hetul vyas:
    hey keep in mind that you are reqested to keep your discution here as it is also useful to others.
  • James Reynold
    James Reynold
    i think a sensor can do this job.just like a sound sensor used in lights
  • srishty swaraj
    srishty swaraj
    i have recently decided to work on a project i.e. smart home. and i am beginning it with how to control ceiling fan with a bluetooth device or a mobile phone, can i get some idea.....
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    srishty swaraj
    i have recently decided to work on a project i.e. smart home. and i am beginning it with how to control ceiling fan with a bluetooth device or a mobile phone, can i get some idea.....
    So what are the functions of a ceiling fan are you trying to control?

Cos in a ceiling fan you have two options one is speed control and the other is turning on and off of the fan?
  • mark lafay
    mark lafay
    This has been done. #-Link-Snipped-#. Let me know if you ahve any questions.
  • Alex Brown
    Alex Brown
    Hey, Mark is right! Fanimation has the Fansync that uses your phone to control your ceiling fan. Here's an easy How To Install A Fansync article, and a youtube #-Link-Snipped-#on how to install one.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone please tell me how 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems operates.What actually they mean by saying 32 bit OS & 64 bit OS? 😁
suggest me projects related with artificial intelligence.
hi i am working in classification of texture images. can anyone help me with a code for k nearest neighbour classifier and also help me to create a training dataset...
NIT Trichy has organized Pragyan '09 Official Website: Pragyan 09 Pragyan is the annual tech fest of NIT Trichy. It will be celebrated from February 12th-15th 2009 in the NIT...
The LEADING GLOBAL FORUM for Transport & Logistics IT - Where Transport & Logistics CIOs and IT executives join Fortune 500 Supply Chain Executives for an exclusive high-level discussion of...