How to connect Bi-Wired Hi-Fi System Woofers to TV/Computer?

I have what remains of my Dad's old Panasonic Hi-Fi System which he used in Kuwait:-

1> 2 numbers of Super Woofers
Model No.: SB-AK57
Impedance: Total 6 ohms
Input: Total 160W (Music)), and 2

2> 2 numbers of Surround System (Dipole)
Model No.: AB-PS55A
Impedance: 32ohms
Input: 30W(Music), 15W(DIN)

The amplifier/Hi-Fi system no-longer works, and so Dad just shipped me these speakers in the hope of using these for some other purpose.

I tried the Surround System (Dipole) and they work, but they can't be used alone (as they are basically for surround audio).

For the Super Woofers, there are 2 wires which comes from the inside (1 combination of Red & Black wires, and the other is a combination of Blue & White wired). What I have read from #-Link-Snipped-# indicates that these might be Bi-wired speakers.

I have a Creative Inspire M2600 2.1 (1 SubWoofer with Base and 2 Satellite Speakers) for my computer at home. The Satellite Speakers get connected to the Sub-Woofer which powers the system using individual audio cables (RCA model)

My questions/doubts:

1. How can I use these combination of Panasonic Super Woofer and Surround System speakers (4 speakers) to connect to a TV or Computer.

2. Would I be able to convert the Bi-Wired cable on each Super Woofer to RCA audio cable to connect with the Creative Inspire? How?
- [This way I would be able to swap the original Creative Satellite Speakers and use the Panasonic Super Woofers instead with the Creative Inspire SubWoofer]

3. Is there a better option? - like getting an amplifier? If so, which one would I get on a budget?

Tagging a few people I know who would know this better: #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Useful Links:

Audio Cables
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I'm not very familiar with this. But, lets try.
    I tried the Surround System (Dipole) and they work, but they can't be used alone (as they are basically for surround audio).
    How did you try, where did you connect them? Aren't those two speakers with in the same box and have two pairs of wires? Or a system that is separately powered with a single input - only one pair of input wires?

Creative Inspire M2600 2.1, Power out: 29 Watts RMS
    Two Super Woofers: 160W
    Two Dipole speakers: 30W
    Clearly the power ratings don't match. So, at least the super woofers need an amplifier in between to drive them. At the same time, mentioned sound system has a 2.1 output. Which means, we have two regular speaker outs and one LFE (Low frequency effects) channel out. And we have four regular speakers (2 x dipole speakers, well that is what I understood) and two Woofers.

For the Super Woofers, there are 2 wires which comes from the inside (1 combination of Red & Black wires, and the other is a combination of Blue & White wires). What I have read from #-Link-Snipped-# indicates that these might be Bi-wired speakers.
    I doubt that. We don't have a high frequency transducer here, but a low frequency transducer alone - super woofer (Again, that is how I drew my mental picture). If bi-wiring was used, one pair would be carrying low frequency signals and the other high frequency. Or, are there two super woofers inside the same box?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    I'm not very familiar with this. But, lets try.

How did you try, where did you connect them? Aren't those two speakers with in the same box and have two pairs of wires? Or a system that is separately powered with a single input - only one pair of input wires?
    The 2 Surround System (Dipole) has individual RCA pin at the end of their wire so they can be easily connected to the Creative Sub-Woofer. - yes one pair of wire on each speaker!

The Two Super Woofers have 2 pairs of wires. One pair has individual Red and Black, and the other has individual Blue and White. These wired are sort of built in to the speaker, i.e. there is no option to remove them without unscrewing the speaker.

Creative Inspire M2600 2.1, Power out: 29 Watts RMS
    Two Super Woofers: 160W
    Two Dipole speakers: 30W
    Clearly the power ratings don't match. So, at least the super woofers need an amplifier in between to drive them. At the same time, mentioned sound system has a 2.1 output. Which means, we have two regular speaker outs and one LFE (Low frequency effects) channel out. And we have four regular speakers (2 x dipole speakers, well that is what I understood) and two Woofers.
    Power output is an issue, but being bigger woofer speakers, would that make a difference in volume compared to the stock satellite speakers which came with the Creative? Just looking at a better option I guess.

I doubt that. We don't have a high frequency transducer here, but a low frequency transducer alone - super woofer (Again, that is how I drew my mental picture). If bi-wiring was used, one pair would be carrying low frequency signals and the other high frequency. Or, are there two super woofers inside the same box?
    I guess the super woofer is divided into tweeter and woofer if I'm not mistaken [or maybe I am] - need some kind of diagram to prove this, and I'm looking for this!!!. There are 2 speakers in it.

Here are the pics of the Surround System (Dipole) (taken from Google Images):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the pics of the Super Woofer (taken from Google Images):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Useful Link: Loudspeaker
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Hope the pics help! 😐😒
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Not the exact model of my Hi-Fi System, but the super woofer is the same:[CLICK TO ENLARGE][​IMG]
  • lal
    lal
    It seems like the super woofers are biwired.

Now, connecting it to Creative Inspire part. The impedance of woofers are 6 Ohms. Creative Inspire is probably not designed to drive 6 Ohm speakers. The impedance is quite low that it might load the system beyond the limit. You may check the specifications of Inspire to see what is the impedance of speakers rated to be driven by Inspire. Or check what is the impedance of satellite speakers. Anyway, connecting those woofers to Inspire won't do much good either. They need a more powerful driver to extract their best.

Dipoles seem to be good to go. But, check the impedances before you connect. And, never parallel the dipoles with existing satellites if you are to connect them. That would lower the effective impedance and load the amplifier again.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    It seems like the super woofers are biwired.

Now, connecting it to Creative Inspire part. The impedance of woofers are 6 Ohms. Creative Inspire is probably not designed to drive 6 Ohm speakers. The impedance is quite low that it might load the system beyond the limit. You may check the specifications of Inspire to see what is the impedance of speakers rated to be driven by Inspire. Or check what is the impedance of satellite speakers. Anyway, connecting those woofers to Inspire won't do much good either. They need a more powerful driver to extract their best.

Dipoles seem to be good to go. But, check the impedances before you connect. And, never parallel the dipoles with existing satellites if you are to connect them. That would lower the effective impedance and load the amplifier again.
    Creative Inspire M2600 #-Link-Snipped-# shows some specs.
  • lal
    lal
    Going through the spec, I find that we are in no luck. Inspire has an output of 6W RMW per channel for the satellite outs. And, we have a 30W dipole. Not the right driver for the dipoles. And, Woofers are out of question. You need a dedicated amplifier.

Can't recommend any names. I'm no expert with that. But, essentially any decent amplifier powerful enough to drive those speakers connected to a good quality source should produces very good output.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    Going through the spec, I find that we are in no luck. Inspire has an output of 6W RMW per channel for the satellite outs. And, we have a 30W dipole. Not the right driver for the dipoles. And, Woofers are out of question. You need a dedicated amplifier.

Can't recommend any names. I'm no expert with that. But, essentially any decent amplifier powerful enough to drive those speakers connected to a good quality source should produces very good output.
    I am looking for a decent amplifier that can power these speakers. If you come across any online/ in any shop in Kochi / know anywhere where I can get one, let me know. Saw one that is used by MKBHD (the Youtube Channel Guy), but I am still researching on options.
  • lal
    lal
    This should be a good read
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Actually that will be a good read for anyone who wants to check how good their speakers/headphones perform or how well their whole sound system has been setup. A few simple tests, necessarily playing various files of different frequencies, to check the response of sound system.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Any option on how to convert this Bi-Wiring to RCA? I think it should be in a parallel manner.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    P.S.: This thread is sort of like my Notepad for reference. 😁
  • lal
    lal
    Yeah that is right. You could parallel the wires and connect to a common pair of terminals at the amplifier output. And, RCA part, those are not the direct outputs to speakers. You shouldn't connect speakers directly to an RCA out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HUVr Tech is a tech company which claims to have developed technology that has allowed for the invention of the HUVr Board, which has presumably been patterned after the Hoverboards...
Quote: There are few brands in the automotive world as iconic as Harley Davidson. The name immediately conjures up images of desert highways and roaring engines producing clouds of smoke....
Vacuum (elevator) fills a vacuum in the field of getting mobility to the disabled. https://hydraulicspneumatics.com/vacuum-technology/pneumatic-elevator-transports-disabled
Hi. I was trying to sketch a gear at SolidWorks, but i didn't understand what it means with 'lay off the distance' . What should i do here?
This article by Quinn Norton is rather a depressing exposé of how software we perceive impenetrable and trustworthy is compromised. Must read for anyone who uses and wants to understand...