How to calculate unit of motor?

i have a 55kw motor, it takes R=41,42 Y=39,40 B=42,40 ampere

tell me how to calculate unit of this motor?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    VA rating is three times average current (~40 amps) x average voltage (~420) between two phases. Divide by power factor.
    Approx.: 16800x3/(PF) VA
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    power factor value??
    i have 0.999 pf in my main meter.
    so can i take 0.999 as a power factor?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You cannot. The motor can and probably will have a lower pf. Please check the original label.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    in my plant one motor is running on star delta starter it takes 80 amp average then i have provide drive in that motor, then it takes at 45 hz 75 amp(output of drive) and 62 amp(input of drive), so please tell me which ampere is require to take for unit calculation?
    input or output amp?
  • lal
    lal
    Input it would be. Motor and drive together should be considered. Drive would be dissipating a part of the energy it consumes as heat (losses) and transfer the rest to motor.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    then why input and output ampere has different? input amp is very low why?
  • lal
    lal
    When you calculate the power at input and output, you'll see the output is lesser than the input due to losses.

Anyway, to answer the question, the motor driver is able to alter the voltage and frequency of power output to control the mechanical characteristics of motor - torque and speed. So the voltage and frequency of input power will be different from the same at output of drive.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    but sir.
    i have also put a energy meter in that panel.
    in energy meter it show output ampere instead of input.
    why this happen.?
  • lal
    lal
    Wait, it looks like I have perceived 'drive' the wrong way. Is drive simply a star-delta starter or a power electronic motor controller? And I assume we are talking about an induction motor.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    drive means inveter. frequency variable controller for motor.
  • lal
    lal
    Did you say the input current of drive from its spec? If so, it would not be more than the mentioned value unless overloaded!
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    now i have provided inverter in 15kw motor
    inverter input current is15 and output current is 19 amp.
    now tell me how many power consumption of this motor?
  • lal
    lal
    Around 7kW if voltage is assumed to be 415V, 3phase, power factor to be 0.8 lagging and inverter efficiency around 80℅.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    how??
    please send formula for calculation........
  • lal
    lal
    Directly calculating motor power using the formula to deduce power cannot be used as converter output will be having a different voltage than the input. So the total input power to converter can be calculated and approximated to motor power assuming an 80% efficiency for conversion.

Total input power to converter = 3^(1/2) x 415 x 15 x 0.8 (assuming 0.8 lagging p.f.)
    Total power = 8626W
    Assume 20% of total power is used by converter electricals and dissipated.
    Total motor power = 8626 x 80% = 6900VA
    Actual value may be more than that. So motor power can be assumed to be around 7kW.
  • vijayppatel13
    vijayppatel13
    you have assume 0.8 lagging power factor..
    but in my main meter i have 0.999 power factor.
    so can i take 0.999 pf??
  • pankaj.bhatt376
    pankaj.bhatt376
    Yes you can assume 0.999 power factor

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends can anyone tell me how to get answer of security question of my facebook account or if at all can i set the security question and its answer...
Robots have always been known for their mechanical touch and inhuman nature, but a team of Swiss researchers have devised a new system to let robots gently grip and lift...
Computer Scientist Erik Sudderth from Brown University has developed a machine learning system that can detect nuclear tests performed under or on the surface of the earth every single minute....
Hello CEans, I would like your help in solving a problem that I am facing on my desktop. My desktop, a really old Compaq SR1931L was facing heating issues. Normally,...
Chinese Tech major Gionee has launched latest smartphone P5W in its Pioneer series, at a pocket-friendly price of Rs. 6,499 coming in 5 attractive colours such as white, black, blue,...