How To Block A Connected Device To Access Internet From Router.

Hello CrazyEngineers,
To my network usually 4-6 devices are connected, my mum's device, dad's, mine, my laptop, raspi and desktop.
Now, there is neighbour girl who asked for WiFi credentials and I gave her due to 'good neighbour relations'. But I have noticed she's been leeching a lot of my bandwidth these days. And unfortunately I can't just tell her on face that 'hey, will u plz stop using my bandwidth'.

So tell me the way to blacklist her ? Or limit her bandwidth ? so she can continue whatsapping and usual browsing but not youtubing and video streaming ?

Thanks.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I gave her due to 'good neighbour relations'.
    โ˜•

Abhishek Rawal
    I can't just tell her on face that 'hey, will u plz stop using my bandwidth'.
    gr-4

Anyway - which router are you using?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Asus DSL-N10_C1
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Asus DSL-N10_C1
    When you login to your router, it will show the list of devices connected to your router. There will be a MAC address below each of the device. Copy the Mac address of your neighbour's machine.

Head over to Wireless-> Wireless Mac Filter -> Enable Mac Filter. Then, select the reject mode and paste that Mac address. Save the settings and be happy.

I wonder how's that different from simply changing the password and then acting as if 'there is an error and I can't fix it'.
  • Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande
    You can likely accomplish that by setting up a rule in the routers firewall.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks a lot, man. Will try and get back at'cha asap.

#-Link-Snipped-# How ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Head over to Wireless-> Wireless Mac Filter -> Enable Mac Filter. Then, select the reject mode and paste that Mac address. Save the settings and be happy.
    This will block her internet and no access at all. But anyway you can lie that there is some problem with phone or something. But I have 100% confidence that she will ask to fix the phone ๐Ÿ˜
    This is prefect situation
  • Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande
    Here
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    another way of avoiding piggybackers than the two (MAC filtering and seting up firewall rule) mentioned above- is to NOT broadcast SSID. But since your neighbour already knows your SSID, you can change your SSID and then not broadcast it.
    The result would be that SSID will no longer be displayed in the available networks drop-down and you will need to manually enter SSID and password whenever you want to connect.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Does not broadcasting SSID make the network invisible to others?
  • priyank bhardwaj
    priyank bhardwaj
    hahaha
    i nearly died laughing..
    The problem and situation is quite funny
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Does not broadcasting SSID make the network invisible to others?
    yup thats the point
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hi Abhishek,

Set up another Guest SSID for your friend, with bandwidth control. Then for security, change your existing home SSID and password.

I don' think your router supports QoS controls on video streaming, you'd need a more powerful router. Just set an overall bandwidth limit on the Guest SSID.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    another way of avoiding piggybackers than the two (MAC filtering and seting up firewall rule) mentioned above- is to NOT broadcast SSID. But since your neighbour already knows your SSID, you can change your SSID and then not broadcast it.
    The result would be that SSID will no longer be displayed in the available networks drop-down and you will need to manually enter SSID and password whenever you want to connect.
    #-Link-Snipped-# you should try this I am sure she even don't know how to add hidden SSID manually and setup the wifi. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    BTW how you managed this issue finally? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# you should try this I am sure she even don't know how to add hidden SSID manually and setup the wifi. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    BTW how you managed this issue finally? ๐Ÿ˜€
    She ain't that dumb to be honest.
    However, like Anoop and Biggie informed, I have used mac filter. Funny shit happened after that, but yeah my bandwidth is not wasted anymore. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    She ain't that dumb to be honest.
    She's smart for sure. Who else gets the neighbour to share their Wi-Fi? ๐Ÿ˜

But good to know you got the problem sorted. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi My client has requested me to provide a solution to a problem. He wants to convert table fields Rept_period(values: jan,feb etc) and p_Code(Values:CC,MM,DD etc) and Balance total kinda like...
Hi there ! i am a final year mechatronics enggg. student ..... i am so confused about my final year project....simply blank ...related to my course!!! can any one help...
CDAC 2015 results, ranks and center preferences can be discussed for the session 2015 here. Please post your current rank and if you have questions about center preferences; please post...
My CCAT 2015 ranks are section a+b : 847 I want to go for pgdmc I want to opt cdac noida as the centre. Can anyone tell me how is...
This October, a million kids in the United Kingdom will be getting their hands on BBCโ€™s new microcomputer, the Micro:Bit for free. The British Broadcasting Corporation partnered up with nearly...