How to become a bad software developer? How to guarantee it?

Many engineers around here are coding or have been into programming at some point of their life. You all must've made mistakes or started off on a bad foot or know someone who really is pretty bad at it. What are the characteristics according to you that make a bad developer? What practices or advice one can follow to guarantee that they become a really poor developer? Share in replies! πŸ˜€

Replies

• vinuchel24
    vinuchel24
    Why would anyone want to know how to be a poor developer ?😲
  • Kuldeepk07
    Kuldeepk07
    OK
    mmmm
    FINALLY I COMMIT -- I am a very poor Prmg. Developer
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    vinuchel24
    Why would anyone want to know how to be a poor developer ?😲
    These are going to be just the points that developers here can express so that those with common sense can avoid them at all costs.
  • Kuldeepk07
    Kuldeepk07
    OK
    Point 1- During my initial stage of learning abut programming I never give much Honour to the Importance of " HEADERS "
    n they beat me evry time .. huh
  • R.prashanth
    R.prashanth
    hiiii am final year computer science student ,can u people suggest ideas for my final year project on c
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    R.prashanth
    hiiii am final year computer science student ,can u people suggest ideas for my final year project on c
    Dear Prasanth,
    You can choose from below if you want -
    1. Customer Billing System Project in C
    2. Hospital Management System Project in C
    3. Library management
    4. Employee record - Enhancements
    5. Telecom billing
    6. Bank management

As per my understanding and experience, my advise is - whatever the project you choose, you should have a complete knowledge about the in and out of the system. Everything must be very clear, technical and sound. You should not reject simple projects thinking the faculties award lesser marks to simpler projects. They always wants the project to be made in genuine manner and the persons who did the project, do know the in and out of the project. Please let us know if you need further help on this. Good luck my dear friend. Thanks. πŸ˜€
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Ankita Katdare
    Many engineers around here are coding or have been into programming at some point of their life. You all must've made mistakes or started off on a bad foot or know someone who really is pretty bad at it. What are the characteristics according to you that make a bad developer? What practices or advice one can follow to guarantee that they become a really poor developer? Share in replies! πŸ˜€
    1. One who do not know the process flow of the problem statement. Must have flowchart in mind or on paper. πŸ˜€
    2. Redundant code
    3. Comments missing - Which makes the task of the future editor of the code to understand the logic in one go.
    4. Not following the standards to assign the name of variables/function name.
    5. Not doing thorough unit testing of the code
    Will update the list if I recall more!! πŸ˜€
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's basically for code review but if you write code like this. You are a bad programmer.

6a00d8341d3df553ef013488a2d48f970c-800wi
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Bad Coders :
    • No indenting in code.
    • No comments.
    • No Naming conventions.
    • No exception Handling.
    • Worst Complexity of algorithms
    .........and the list goes on 😨
    Well, to have all flaws, it gotta be deliberate bad coding πŸ˜›
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I agree with this line from Kaushal
    "1. One who do not know the process flow of the problem statement. Must have flowchart in mind or on paper. πŸ˜€"

I have seen many programmers just writing program without actually understanding the problem statement completely which in turn at the end leads to problem or buggy code, so if someone who thinks, if I know what is "if", "for loop", "while loop" then I am a software programmer makes me good programmer, programming is not just about syntax, it is about logic
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Koushal Patel
    3. Comments missing - Which makes the task of the future editor of the code to understand the logic in one go.
    This is so true. Sometimes it feels like the original programmer believes that he is the one and only creator of the code and no one will ever touch it again. Hell, even if he goes to read his own program after 5 years, he won't be able to make out which function serves what purpose. Why You No Add Comment, folks?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Magic numbers is something I really have tough time with, when I try to understand code written by some one else.
    Rest all is fine with me.
    3-4 level nested loops, ifs and else can be digested, complexity can be optimized
    but I would never get hang of magic numbers.
    Well this is just my opinion πŸ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    - Code optimization
    - Profiling
    But hey, rule number one : First make it work, rest all (the two factors mentioned above) comes later.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Adding to my list
    1. If someone fails to learn from his/her mistakes and does the mistake repeatedly. Ignores the peer review comments.
    2. A programmer who doesn't know what he doesn't know and isn't interested at all to find out.
    3. Programmers, who knows what the code does, but not, how the code does!!
    4. Those who ignores warnings and only bothered about errors. πŸ˜‰
    5. Who do not welcome criticism.
    6. When they do not worry about the syntax, nomenclature and possess "chaltaa hai re" attitude!! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
    7. Suppose, You run their code in your machine, and you get a defect and their first reply, "In my machines, it worked absolutely fine!! πŸ˜›πŸ˜ "
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    See my coding either in QTP or Selenium (Java) I am the worst programmer.

You know why, when i have to debug my code it takes me 20 mins to understand what i was trying to do.

So the complexity is something that makes me a worst programmer! I dont add comments or any headers I just make it work πŸ˜€
  • Piyush Dangre
    Piyush Dangre
    The best piece of code is one with comments !
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    1.forgets to leave comments.
    2.leaving exceptional handling.
    3.not providing meaningful names to program and variables(even the programer who is 1st to work on ends up in confusion )
    4.not using configuration files.
    5.writing all code in a single file.
    6.giving less importance to security leaving there code vulnerable to attacks.
    7.not discussing with the team before starting.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    beingchinmay
    The way to altering this is programming liabilities. PCs are additionally the main mass-market customer thing where the merchants acknowledge no obligation for deficiencies. The reason cars are so very much planned is that makers face liabilities in the event that they spoil. An absence of programming risk is viably an immense government sponsorship of the PC business. It permits them to create more items quicker, with less worry about wellbeing, security, and quality.
    Cool story, bruh!
    How is it related to the topic, can you elaborate it ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

American software mammoth Microsoft (MS) has recently been stepping up its game. After the announcement of MS-Accenture collaboration and the availability of the recent updates in MS Azure, Microsoft has...
Unveiled in November earlier this year, the Nokia’s Android tablet- Nokia N1 is all set for a launch on January 7 in China. Putting rest to rumors, the company made...
SlideRule is an education start-up founded in the year 2013 by Parul Gupta and Gautam Tambay. SlideRule helps users discover, compare and recommend the best online courses thus making online...
Good news for budding entrepreneurs!! The Narendra Modi led government of India is working to cut down the time for registering a business from 27 days to a single day....
I am E &TC student graduating in 2015 .I am selected in iNautix Technology, Pune as an Application Developer trainee with an package of 3.4 lakh CTC and also in...