How much writing do you do as an Engineer?

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum.. it looks like a good little resource

I'm a student, I've only just started my first semester at University as a Mechanical Engineer
I'm currently doing a subject called "Engineering Communication", and need to find a few things out off a professional engineer, basically to teach me how important writing skills are.

It would be great if anyone here could answer the following questions for me:
  • How much of your time is spent writing each day?
  • Is the amount of writing you do related to how long you have been with a particular company?
  • In what ways do you feel your writing skills have helped (or hindered) you in your career so far?
  • Do you get any help with your writing from secretaries, peers, or technical writers?
  • What is the attitude of your superiors toward clear writing?
If anyone could do that it would be a huge help..
Thankyou very much in advance ๐Ÿ˜€
Danny

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Danny, welcome to CE. I think there are no straightforward answers to your questions. However, I'll try my best to answer your questions -

[assumption: writing <=> typing ๐Ÿ˜ ]
    • How much of your time is spent writing each day?
    While working at a junior level, about 3 / 8 hours in e mailing/reporting/on IMs (for business communication). Maybe 4-4.5 hours at a senior position (mid-management).
    • Is the amount of writing you do related to how long you have been with a particular company?
    Not really. I think its a function of your designation / role.
    • In what ways do you feel your writing skills have helped (or hindered) you in your career so far?
    Writing skills are essential. A neat resume can win you a job. I do not have any personal experiences I can relate to your question.
    • Do you get any help with your writing from secretaries, peers, or technical writers?
    Yep. What kind of help are we talking about here?

• What is the attitude of your superiors toward clear writing?
    They will always appreciate it. The simpler and clearer you make it for them, the happier they are. Its a rule of thumb.

Let me know if this helps. Let's see what other CEans have to say about this.
  • Danny40
    Danny40
    Thankyou for that Big K! You're a great help

I will admit the questions aren't very specific, but it's all we were given to work with. I think it's supposed to be more of a general thing anyway, like they don't care how, as long as we come to the conclusion that writing is important ๐Ÿ˜›

The_Big_K
    Yep. What kind of help are we talking about here?
    I think its really referring to any kind of help - suggestions, people writing for you etc.

Once again, thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Agree with Biggie on this, Danny, if you are referring to help as reviews, opinions and general feedback on your writing, then surely, you would get this in the industry.

You would learn more from senior and peer reviews about the nuances of your work.
  • Danny40
    Danny40
    Thanks kidakaka, I got it done thanks to you guys ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's see what our CEans have to say about this. Many colleges and corporates have a dress-code policy. Some of the colleges have their own uniform and some of the...
Hey CEans! Im in the midst of doing some video tutorials for new CE members on how to navigate and post in the forum. I wanted to ask, what is...
Hi, I am looking for new mobile in a range of 15k to 22K(Indian Rs). Preferable nokia or any good brand, having good battery life and big screen. wanted to...
Can anybody tell me how a person extremely interested in studying quantum computing get to it n in which college, thru which exam?
Can anybody tell me how a person extremely interested in studying quantum computing get to it n in which college, thru which exam?