How many of you have failed in IIT-JEE? How Did It Affect Your Life?

IIT-JEE, arguably is the toughest engineering entrance exam in the world. Hundreds of thousands of candidates, each one equipped with 2-3 years of intense preparation fighting for a few seats in IITs ensured that only the top of the line get into the institute. The trend continued for several years and I'm sure most of you must have appeared for the IIT JEE. This thread isn't for the winners - aka those who cracked the exam and got into the IITs; but for those who appeared for the exam but couldn't crack it? Let's talk about how failing in IIT JEE has affected our lives and whether you think life would have been better if you had made it to one of the IITs.

I appeared for JEE twice (meh!). Once right after my 12th (HSSC) exam and second time when I was already in the first year of engineering. I knew I'd have cracked the JEE had I joined a dedicated coaching class or moved to Kota for the entrance exam studies. Instead, I relied on the correspondance course material from Chennai based Brilliant Tutorials. I'm sure many of you did ๐Ÿ˜€ .

I don't even remember my score in JEE; but the reality is that I failed in it. I however did pretty well in my engineering and managed to get a first class degree in Electrical engineering. I however think that I could make the right choices during and after engineering that I'm now able to live my dream career.

Would things have been different had I entered IIT? Of course! But I'm not sure if it'd have had any effect on what I'm doing now. Maybe I'd have had better contacts in the industry; but apart from that - I don't think anything would have been drastically different.

What about you?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I always wanted to appear for the IIT Entrance exam, unfortunately there is no special exam for Diploma graduates.If we want to appear, we have to prepare the same course which 10+2 students learn, and even if we crack it; we will be placed in 1st year.
    Now, that is disheartening. because we have already spent 3 years in technical field, and we're obviously much trained for technical sector than the 10+2 students.
    Somehow, this basic thing, the IIT directors; don't understand.So, I didn't applied for exam.

But, even if I would've applied for JEE & cracked it, there won't be much change, other than my English would've improved & I might be having bunch of similar minded friends.Maybe I would get a group of developers who are willing to make a project in Linux/Opensource domain or maybe noone in IITs would say me "You're acting like an alien, shit's just ain't realistic".

On a sidenote,I firmly believe IIT should have special exam for diploma graduates. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Come on - I was expecting a flood of posts in this thread. Be open. We know you did appear for the JEE.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well I was dejected Just to see me not submitting the application form on date Put aside the feeling a person had on failing it

Well appearing for special coaching for that exam and failing you lost big bucks buddy IMO
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, I appeared for JEE twice. Once while I was in 12th standard, didnt get through, went to kota (Bansal Classes) for one year, reached till EML(Extended Merit List). And as EML is almost equal to not getting qualified, that was the end of the road. Did it affect my life? I dont think so. I mean I got in a pretty good college. And right now where I am working, 6 out of 9 members of my team are from IIT. So, I guess it didn't matter that much! Yeah, of course, if I was in IIT, I could have been in touch with better (or worse ๐Ÿ˜• ) crowd. But it's hardly unlikely that I would have been doing something else.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I was on the other side of the table. In the early days each IIT had its own exams. I was correcting about 1200 maths papers. More than 1000 were blank. About 80 scored 100%. The one I liked best had all 12 pages covered. It was a single drawing from the first page to the last showing a funeral procession with all the Seven Great rishis acting as pall bearers and such. The last two pages showed the funeral frame with the body on it carried by the elaborately drawn rishis. The body was labelled simply 'me'.

I wanted to give this candidate 100% for creativity. I am sure he would have done good in life. The loss was IIT's not his.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I appeared for FIIT-JEE, when i was in the 12th standard. i went there without preparing. chemistry was absurdly tough, physics ok, and maths was somewhat easier.

i flunked the test though. but i did not feel much, because that entire year was a bad one for me.

But it did not affect my life much, because after that i got into a somewhat good college, and life changed for the better after that.
  • Crystal Shine
    Crystal Shine
    I will be giving me IIT exam next month. And I'm afraid more than I'm nervous. Things are not going the way I want them. I went to Kota but the way they taught, I mean mugging and cramming made me a paranoid. I used to be a very innovative and happy person buy now it seems that I've bet my own self for this nut which I may not be able to crack. I studied my own way, as I always had but I failed this time in this pool of crammers, I'm lost, so very lost. They don't understand that I'm a free lance scholar and love to study but not in limited time. Am I worth something for or am I just a jerk??!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Why lose heart before the exams? Save it for day after your exams ๐Ÿ˜.

I'm only joking! IITs are good, but not the end of the world. Write your exams with an attitude that you're doing a favor to the IITs by appearing for the JEE. Even if you don't crack, you'll end up in a good engineering college. Plus, you will have a great company of all the talented engineers not only from IIT; but from all over the world here on CrazyEngineers. You'll be in a good company.

Relax.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    I have not appeared for it at all and not interested too. No regret.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Was preparing to be a Doctor during 12th ... never bothered to appear for the JEE. Had a change of mind (ala 3 Idiots) and had a heart to heart discussion with my parents (3 generation of doctors) and got into Engineering instead of Medicine.

Best decision of my life.
  • Sai Hemanth B
    Sai Hemanth B
    I have appeared for JEE this year. I had been preparing for JEE for 2 years very seriously with no other thought in my mind. I gave my MAINS in April and got a score of 220. And the next 45 days was hell. I wrote around 30 mock tests , prepared day and night and rarely got out of my desk. And thrn cane the JEE Advanced day. I didn't know what happened that day, but I didn't remember many topics. I didn't get answers for the models I knew. I panicked. I knew well that I had screwed it up. I kept crying for 2 days as a dream had shattered so badly. I was frightened to check the key. But I managed to, and barely managed to qualify. The Advanced results were the first to come... I got a rank of 21k and I knew that I won't get in any IIT... my parents were heart broken so were our teachers so was I. And then came Jee main results, I made it to the top 1000 ranks and OBC Rank was around 150... I could get a seat in any NIT or other institution except IITs. I never dreamed of any college other than IIT.... that was the only college I didn't make it to.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wishing my fellow CEans a blessed Ramadan! ๐Ÿ˜€ May there be peace, love & happiness insyallah.
Flipkart has raised another $200 million from their existing investors, making it the single largest round of funding by any of the e-Commerce companies in India. The investors who participated...
Fortune magazine has recently released the list of top 500 companies for 2013, based on the company's fiscal year ending before or on 31st March 2013. This year shows a...
Registrations for different events on SIGGRAPH - 2013 is open. There are various stalls where you got a chance to meet them or attend their seminars/Conferences. Glimpse of some programs...
KJ Somaiya students are all set to gear up against the best in the prestigious design competition- Formula Student Germany (FSG)- with their single-seater racing car Arion-2, which is equipped...