How many of CEans would like to work for a startup company?

I was in a meeting yesterday with the people who're planning to organise a big event for entrepreneurs, startup companies, startup enthusiasts, job seekers and students (internships + jobs) in central India. A point popped up during our discussion that several of the people who are working in big companies now are looking to switch to startup companies for better exposure, roles and responsibilities.

The same goes with students. Several students are interested in finding out how startup companies work and doing internships with them.

My question to all the CEans is this:-

1. How many of you would like to work for a startup company?

2. What are the top concerns/questions you'll have in deciding to switch (money, role, responsibilities, gearing up for your own startup few years down the line)?

3. What matters the most to you - equity or fixed monthly income? (if both; in what ratio)?

4. What do you expect from your job in a startup company?

Looking forward to your answers.

Replies

• Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    All my answers are purely based on my friends and relatives experiences.
    1) Yes I would love to work for a start up company.

2) As its a start up having top concern as money is not a fair point. I feel so because its just starting so money can be doubled and tripled once the company shines. Just work well to make it shine can fetch you a good salary soon. Maybe time is also a factor for it but at least for starting stages money is not my concern. Role and responsibilities will be my first concern. As both will change and chances of getting the higher role will be more as its a start up. I will be scared initially as it will be more responsibilities on me as its a start up, as it needs push up and initially it will be rough and hard time to handle all of these at once. But the passion that you will learn more and zeal to make your decisions along with choices will help to catch up the speed and pace. Yes I have heard in a start up you will learn more and have a chance to start everything from scratch which will help me learn more and give me good experience for me as we friends have plan to start up an own company.

3) For me both matter, but initially fixed monthly salary matters. As we cannot expect profits in a first trial. So I would prefer salary initially and then matter about equity. And later stages ratio depends on the company colors raise.

4) Humm! That's question is really hard to answer may be
    I would expect that I will have more chances and scope to learn in depth where I can actually use my skills to the maximum to get the best of me. You can ask that will be there even if you get a job in any company. Yes the answer is same even there and here but one thing is I will learn more in start up than in other well built companies.

There are conditions where my relatives and friends were lucky in a start up and even few friends who were not lucky being in a start up. But I will prefer to go in start up and try the best.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Excellent answers, #-Link-Snipped-# . Waiting for responses from others. Let's see what our CEans think about jobs with startups.
  • Sunny Kichloo
    Sunny Kichloo
    1)Yes

2) For me Vision of Company Matters.As it is what i Consider when I am Switching.Money matters but the work and your Senior Management Attitude Matters a lot in a Start up Scenario.

3)Combination of Salary and Equity is a Good Option.

4)Work Environment should be Challenging which would help me in implementing what i have learn so far and also at same time help me in becoming a Person who can help Start-up Company to Grows.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    1. How many of you would like to work for a startup company?

I would love to work for a startup company.

2. What are the top concerns/questions you'll have in deciding to switch (money, role, responsibilities, gearing up for your own startup few years down the line)?

Here comes a major difference, after working for 8 years in Fortune500 or whatever you say BIG companies, money is ok its enough to pay my loans and my bills no savings now.
    Role & responsibilities - I have been lucky to have a good role all throughout 8 years.Responsibilites also same answer.

Gearing up to my startup nothing stops if i really have the passion.

3. What matters the most to you - equity or fixed monthly income? (if both; in what ratio)?

Pay my loans- whatever it is - its ok for first few years if i am working in Startup since learning is all that matters. Honesty matters here, if the story is honest i am good.

4. What do you expect from your job in a startup company?

Interesting work, avoiding time wasting meetings.. and giving ownership and trust ( all these things are already there though but not too many politics)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The engineers and researchers at ISRO have another reason to cheer as the organisation has won the Indira Gandhi Prize 2014 for Peace, Disarmament and Development. The space and research...
Wishing CEan @Manish Goyal a very happy and prosperous birthday today! May this day brings you the everlasting happiness, joy, success. And we all wish your dreams come true; especially...
Mozilla's recently announced that the stable builds of Firefox, starting sometime in Q1 of 2015 will have Yahoo (powered by Bing) search engine as the default one instead of Google....
The chemical engineering department at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-B) has achieved a breakthrough that promises to bring the cost and time involved in dialysis procedures down by...
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. It is an honor to meet all of you. Currently i am working on a communication...