How Long Does It Take For Your System To Boot?

After few days of tweaking, I have finally managed to lower the boot time of my system to ~14s from ~26s. I know 14s is still way too much, but I have few services like syncthing, TLP, lm_sensors needed to be run at startup, plus I don't have SSD. I am on traditional rotational HDD.

As you can see in the picture, it takes ~14s to reach graphical target. How long does your system take for a boot ? If you're using SSD, mention the model too.
syncthing5
PS : I have seen plenty of threads in reddit where the boot time is mere 2-3 seconds, with WMs and SSD. No! I am not kidding.

So, how long does it take to boot your system ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My iMac 2011 running Yosemite (updated to the latest) takes about 45 seconds. But I don't expect much from the old boy.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My iMac 2011 running Yosemite (updated to the latest) takes about 45 seconds. But I don't expect much from the old boy.
    45s! Can I know whether you're using SSD or not ?

Tweaked mkinitcpio, fsck has been skipped and now boot time is less than 10s ๐Ÿ˜
    syncthing6
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I didn't do any hardware upgrade ever since I bought it, so no SSD or faster RAM. It's loaded with all the necessary software. I'm not sure if it's the OS that add to the booting time.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I didn't do any hardware upgrade ever since I bought it, so no SSD or faster RAM. It's loaded with all the necessary software. I'm not sure if it's the OS that add to the booting time.
    I don't think RAM plays major role in boot speed, but the type and speed of Hard Disk does. I have just 4 GB DDR3 RAM, out of which 512 MB is allocated for Graphics since it is APU. I might soon purchase 8GB soDIMM DDR3 RAM and check if boot performance increases or not. Most prolly it won't as Bootchart shows massive disk-usage while booting, so it's something related to speed of Hard-drive.

I have simply understood init system and boot process, and trying decrease boot speed just by allowing services that are really necessary. So, nothing gets in without my permission.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've a vague idea, that it does. If there's not enough memory, the system would resort to writing stuff on the disk. It may not contribute to the initial system loading time; but as soon as the system prepares the display, desktop et al., I think having enough RAM would definitely make the things faster. It's just a wild guess.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've a vague idea, that it does. If there's not enough memory, the system would resort to writing stuff on the disk. It may not contribute to the initial system loading time; but as soon as the system prepares the display, desktop et al., I think having enough RAM would definitely make the things faster. It's just a wild guess.
    In my free time, I will try to limit RAM to 1GB from kernel parameters and then boot. Let's see how much it affects the boot time.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Mine taking around 2mins ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The machine with longest loading time wins.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    My Win 8 laptop boots around 12 seconds. Have a Seagate SSHD (hybrid ssd). Good balance between speed and capacity. If I were to have a new desktop, I'd have a dedicated SSD for OS then a large capacity HDD for data files.

Harshad Italiya
    Mine taking around 2mins ๐Ÿ˜
    Haha. That reminds me of my previous PCs. Switch on PC, go make a cup of hot drink and prepare some snacks, then come back to a fully loaded desktop.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    My Win 8 laptop boots around 12 seconds.
    Even after Windows 8 included #-Link-Snipped-#, the boot time seems slow. #-Link-Snipped-#

ash
    If I were to have a new desktop, I'd have a dedicated SSD for OS then a large capacity HDD for data files.
    I would love to get SSD, but it's damn costly here. I am already getting ~9s of boot time, with SSD I might reach <6s. But again, paying 5K-6K INR for 3s of boot performance ain't a smart choice ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And here again! vrooom!

Screenshot_2015-09-14_22-35-23

PS : I am not using SSD. It's rotational HDD.
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Mine was booting at normal speed. There's no lacking/lagging in speed. Because, my HDD was only 1 week old ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    sharfudeen
    Mine was booting at normal speed. There's no lacking/lagging in speed. Because, my HDD was only 1 week old ๐Ÿ˜›
    I don't understand 'normal speed' thingy, I can only understand numbers. Show me the log.
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't understand 'normal speed' thingy, I can only understand numbers. Show me the log.
    Asking like this huh? ๐Ÿ˜€
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    sharfudeen
    Asking like this huh? ๐Ÿ˜€
    [โ€‹IMG]
    Can't see the image. Re-upload ?
    Edit : Holycow! Boot up booster ? LOL! Funny windows apps.
    Abhishek Rawal
    Can't see the image. Re-upload ?
    Edit : Holycow! Boot up booster ? LOL! Funny windows apps.
    Its not the booting software actually, its wise care 365, It'll just shows the booting speed and it can disable the startup apps.
    That's all know!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Verizon Communications, one of the leading broadband and telecom companies in the United States has announced that it will begin the trials of the next generation wireless technology, 5G, sometime...
I am interested in Boiler designing. Can anybody here tell me which software is needed to know among Autocad, solidworks, CATIA, PRO E for my purpose? for the analysis part...
Though Faisal Ansari's family has a medical background, he had realised that engineering was something he was naturally good at. Pursuing his dream, he got a degree in Mechanical Engineering...
Hello frnds.. I am a fresher civil engineer & I am curious to know that how my job Is going to start. . I know that first I have to...
Quote: Understanding heat transfer is central to verifying and optimizing products and system designs. Thermal characteristics and mechanical performance must be considered in the development of products such as reactors...