How far it is important to read design of jigs,fixtures,press tools,production technologies,etc?

I am a final year Automobile engineering student and I now has a chance to study "design of jigs,fixtures and press tools" .I want to give a short brief on it and followed by a question that arised in my mind.Design of jigs , fixtures, press tools involves the study of locating tools,guiding tools,holding tools and supporting the workpiece in manufacturing process.We study a lot from locators, clamps, bushes fool proof pin, etc.But my question is in this present scenario where all manufacturing process was given to the hands of robots,Is there a real necessity to read about this and know some basics?
I know basic is important but how far it can help me out in a interview or a working place.Are we wasting time in grinding old same subjects¿Do we want to change the mind and go for study of subjects which explains the process of automation ¿
Should the subjects syllabus needs to be changed?
Pour in your views CEans?I am waiting....

Replies

• Raj A
    Raj A
    Yes. I am a Production Engineer and I feel exactly same way as you do while studying this subject. In fact we have two similar subjects Tool Engineering-I and Tool Engineering-II. So, I would say, Yes, The syllabus needs to reform. Since the designing concepts, e.g. Locator, fool-proofing are very important to understand, since those concept can be used anywhere in practical life. Actually it depends also upon which type of industry you are going to choose for work as a part of your career. You may not need any of these concepts at all or you may need to use these concepts repeatedly. But I agree that they must include automation to syllabus since that is the latest trend in industry. Very few actually design jigs-fixtures and use them. Concepts have changed drastically in industry and we should follow the latest trend. Thanks.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Jigs and Fixtures is one of the most easiest papers in the curriculum of mechanical/automobile engineering.

you needn't break your head over it like as if it was thermodynamics. the subject is practical-oriented and all you need to do is attend classes regularly.

jigs and fixtures is actually a branch of production engineering, and deals with the mass production of standard components. this may turn out to be useful to you if you are going for production engineering or so.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    My question is why the education system is not updated while all the industrial world is driving towards automation.Why they dont add two or more lessons on new and emerging trends in one lesson followed by future trends in other lesson.It will help to guide the students and help them to know more about present scenario and future.It will increase higher innovation .
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Who said robos do not need fixtures. In any mass production unit fixtures are very important. They not only lock the 6 degrees of freedom of bodies but also help you maintain tolerances resulting in automatic online inspection. The differnce is just that robots assemble parts by sensing the location points and placing the parts automatically while men do it manually. Some times humans are quicker but if we talk about complex parts and precision and 24 hr operation robos do it more quickly and efficiently. So, basic knowledge of fixtures is very important wich you must have so as to explore and innovate accordingly.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    S.mukherjee
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Who said robos do not need fixtures. In any mass production unit fixtures are very important. They not only lock the 6 degrees of freedom of bodies but also help you maintain tolerances resulting in automatic online inspection. The differnce is just that robots assemble parts by sensing the location points and placing the parts automatically while men do it manually. Some times humans are quicker but if we talk about complex parts and precision and 24 hr operation robos do it more quickly and efficiently. So, basic knowledge of fixtures is very important wich you must have so as to explore and innovate accordingly.
    I am not against this subject but I think the syllabus has to be changed in a way that students study some basic automation also.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    My question is why the education system is not updated while all the industrial world is driving towards automation.Why they dont add two or more lessons on new and emerging trends in one lesson followed by future trends in other lesson.It will help to guide the students and help them to know more about present scenario and future.It will increase higher innovation .
    My college did it.

we had subjects like "modern manufacturing systems" and "robotics and automation", as electives in the higher semesters.

but again it turned out that just merely studying the theory part of the subjects without any practicals is not even half as useful

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This Thread is all about the latest technical terms which are the buzzwords or are on Trend.......Being Techical guys, it's gud to be familiar with these terms.... Contributions from all...
Can anybody please tell me new applications for the Electrolytic Iron Powder. Basic powder properties are as below: Purity- >99% Particle Shape: Irregular Particle shape: Can be available in different...
LG Electronics has officially launched LG Song Star karaoke system in India for those of you who knew you had it in you! The Song Star system comes preloaded with...
Intex Aqua i7 has been launched in India with a price tag of Rs. 21,900. The smartphone was unveiled by Bollywood star & director Farhan Akhtar. Intex Technologies is one...
Sony and Microsoft unveiled their next gen consoles at E3 2013, at that time it seemed Sony had emerged as the winner in the ultimate war of game consoles even...