How Does A Serial(Daily Soaps) Earns The Money ?

The Director/Producer have to pay the x amount to the y channel for letting their show to be broadcast in their Channel.
Moreover they even have to pay to actors & entire crew who are working for the Soap.

I am keen to know, how does these people earns money ? πŸ˜•

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Its very simple, advertisements. A part goes to the producer and the other to the channel. The serial's success and 'ad-worthy'ness is decided by the Television Rating Points it gains during its runtime. Depending on which time slot the show airs and its popularity the Ad rates are decided.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Its very simple, advertisements. A part goes to the producer and the other to the channel. The serial's success and 'ad-worthy'ness is decided by the Television Rating Points it gains during its runtime. Depending on which time slot the show airs and its popularity the Ad rates are decided.
    In addition they also received huge money for film promotion. For Example- Tarak Mehta ka Ulta Chashma.
  • Amar Srivastava
    Amar Srivastava
    TV Serials earns money through advertisements , Rate of advertisements is decided on the basis of TRP of that program. Generally rate is on per second basis.Television Rating point (TRP) is a method of ascertaining which serials/channels are viewed the most. All the media publication earns money through advertisments.
    Popularity of show is directly proportional of rate of advertisments shown between the breaks.
  • RajeshCDCA
    RajeshCDCA
    Its the TRP that decide how much TV ads they will get and definitely from time to time Movie promotion bring from more money.
    Also based on the TRP the serial is assigned time like High TRP will get prime time other during day time!
    also to add to the above have seen any A++ channel after 12 night you see those ads for hours where they sell things...and keep saying "abhi order kar nae pae milega 50% off" they also bring good money even when no one is watching TV .
    So that how they make Money!
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    1.TV serial producer have to give money to channel for display of serial.
    2.if serial are of 30 minute,15 mint advertising takes.

if TRP of serial is more,there will be more advertiser and hence the serial will earn.
    hence the money flow between channel,producer of serial and advertiser.

&people meter is box attached with device of each television which calculate number of viewers.

example
    If advertiser have to pay 50000/- per minute for ads.then for 10 minute it cost 5 lacs rupees.he will give 3lacs to channel and rest 2 lacs to producer.
    now serial come in weak for 5 days
    hence total earning of producer is 2 lacs *5 days=10 lacs
    and in 10 lacs he distribute money to actors and others utilised in that serial.rest amount he keep for himself.
    This is how they earn.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Holy moly... STAR Plus is not an Indian broadcaster 😲 .
    It's definitely advertisement to earn money. #-Link-Snipped-#.

#-Link-Snipped-# Looks like you are stuck with some freaky serialπŸ˜›.
    Some times I also stuck at dinner time and it's like 3rd degree torture πŸ‘€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    #-Link-Snipped-# Looks like you are stuck with some freaky serialπŸ˜›.
    No choice during dinner-time. There's just too much of drama in each & every show.
    Daily-shop's ruining Indian families, they teaches nasty things, some people takes it too seriously. Shun it, Ban it ! 😁
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    During holiday wen i arrive home,no one even allow me to touch remote control like a big insult..😑
    My mom use to watch serial,my sis love to watch movie and song and my father news n cricket and my brother tarak mehta ka ulta chasma,cartoons.

They are already on a great war,who will care me lol
    i was there only for lecture let mom watch serial,let my bro watch serial blah blah
    😁
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apurwa.Thakur
    During holiday wen i arrive home,no one even allow me to touch remote control like a big insult..😑
    My mom use to watch serial,my sis love to watch movie and song and my father news n cricket and my brother tarak mehta ka ulta chasma,cartoons.

They are already on a great war,who will care me lol
    i was there only for lecture let mom watch serial,let my bro watch serial blah blah
    😁
    Happens happens.

BTW we are going off-topic. We should better discuss about this in a dedicated thread in chit-chat section πŸ˜›
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Abhishek Rawal
    Happens happens.

BTW we are going off-topic. We should better discuss about this in a dedicated thread in chit-chat section πŸ˜›
    πŸ‘

😭 u r a great alert for my mistakes
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was searching for something and landed up on this discussion. Really an interesting question #-Link-Snipped-#

If a company buys a 30 second commercial, and the network (TV channel and producer) guarantees that at least "X" thousand/million people are exposed to that spot, if the rating is great, the money charged will be a LOT.
    Sales representatives for these TV serials usually work on a "cost per thousand [viewers]" basis. This is sometimes broken down to specific demographics.

Just curious to know, what are some other ways of generating revenues for TV shows other than advertisements.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Does DTH providers pay TV channels from the huge amount they earned from subscribers?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    One of the clients I work with is an Indian Food Channel. They earn money through a variety of methods -
    1. Ads during programmes
    2. Similar content being aired on all video sites (YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, etc) and getting ad revenues. For the channel that I work with, this is around $1000 USD per site
    3. During non peak hours running informercials (those crappy programmes about Herbal Tea, Vibrating Belts, Super Soakers .. )
    4. Running ads on their site. You'd be amazed at the amount of traffic each of their site gets!!
    5. As Rajni mentioned above, DTH subscriptions are also a source of revenue for the channel
    6. Offline events and syndications with other retail brands
    7. Brand merchandise or Affiliate marketing as we call it on the internet
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As far as I know, it's the production house that is in-charge of the finances of any daily soap. They 'sell' their content to the TV channel. I think the rates are decided by the TRP any daily soap receives. The channel, then makes money from the advertisers by showing advertisements between the commercial breaks.

There are some novel concepts being made popular these days. You will see special products are being advertised as a part of the content of the daily soap itself. You will see an actor talking to other actor about a specific brand. The soaps charge lot of money to the advertisers to do this and is a direct revenue option for them.

You will also see most of the content shown on TV making it to YouTube channels. YouTube allows the content owners to run advertisements on the video. Yeah, those obnoxious ads that pop-up every few seconds on YouTube are the way these content owners make money.

I'm not sure about the DTH operators. I think the paid channels basically make some money from the end subscribers.

That brings us to a debate: If we are already paying our DTH service providers to view content, shouldn't the ads shown be completely optional?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If we are already paying our DTH service providers to view content, shouldn't the ads shown be completely optional?
    With DTH service being made compulsory, do you mean users who don't wish to view advertisements be made to pay differently? I for one am disgusted with the 30 second YouTube ads that can't be skipped. I generally drift off to another open tab for those 30 seconds. An ability to remove advertisements from Television seems like such a boon. But could that really happen?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankita Katdare
    for one am disgusted with the 30 second YouTube ads that can't be skipped.
    Heard of Adblock Plus | The world's #1 free ad blocker 😁?
    *It blocks all YouTube ads including ads which comes in very beginning and you have to wait to skip it.
    Try it and you will how beautiful webpages are. Even TOI page looks good 😲

Whole TV business is based on advertisement. It's not going anywhere unless people are ready to pay premium content like NetFlix over setup box.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Installing this plugin just to check Times of India website now. πŸ˜β˜•πŸ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Someone just liked one of my replies and I got redirected to this old thread. It's amazing how I have been using AdBlocker for a couple of years now. ? It has helped me with sites that really abuse the content space by showing way too many advertisements. I think that the consumer is becoming more and more aware of advertisements integrated with every product and service they consume. This makes advertisers use smarter ways for ad placement and I think it benefits the consumer as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Finally after a short delay , the LG Optimus G Pro is ready to be introduced in the country.It seems to be the LG's response to the Samsung Galaxy Note...
An initiative by Planetary Resources to build and launch a space telescope for public use has exceeded the goal of $1,000,000 by a huge margin on Kickstarter. The project received...
Bored of Simple icons in Ubuntu ? Here is the thread of Icon sets & Theme sets for Ubuntu supporting Unity & Gnome. You're free to share the latest (or...
Losing your keys is always a frustrating experience; you have to find a locksmith to get a duplicate key made but if that doesn’t work you have to pry out...
With the American Independence Day a few days away, folks over at Adafruit have tried to make a tribute to the country with a MIDI controlled flame organ. While we...