How Can Satya Nadella Make Microsoft Cool Again?

Satya Nadella

After #-Link-Snipped-# that Satya Nadella will be the CEO of Microsoft, people worldwide (and CE) have been placing high hopes on him to make the brand Microsoft cool again. The past few years have not been the best of times for Microsoft. The Will You Upgrade To Windows 8? and its Surface hardware failed to make a mark in the market. Erroneous marketing strategies managed to hurt Xbox sales figures and despite been backed by strong hardware Windows Phone 8 has failed to gain a big share of the smartphone industry.

So in this thread I want members of CE to post some advice for the newly crowned CEO on how he can salvage the Microsoft brand among masses.

I shall begin the discussion by posting my solutions:

Firstly, lower license rates and make upgrades cheaper or free.

Windows

Microsoft is still a big name in the industry due to the success of its Office suite and Microsoft is well aware of that, so time and again it tries to milk its success by forcing updates that do not offer any significant features over the previous version but they tend to be more expensive every time. We have seen Apple MAC OS X Mavericks announced to be free! What could this develop into?to its users, why can’t Microsoft do the same? The same thing happens with its Windows operating system. If someone has spent around Rs. 25000 make an assembled PC he/she cannot be expected to shell out even more cash to buy a Windows license which costs somewhere between Rs. 5950 to Rs. 15999 (Windows 7) and then be asked to pay at least Rs. 7875 to get Windows 8 upgrade and then a few grand more for the office suite. Users then have to go for a pirated version of the OS and this in turn hurts the company. Good pricing will definitely encourage users to opt for genuine products and help instil faith of users in the company.

Secondly, promote Xbox as a gaming console (rather than a ramped up set top box)

Xbox One

When Microsoft Xbox One Is A Powerful, Improved and Stylish Successor to Xbox 360, the marketing department guys at Microsoft went overboard trying to project Xbox as a complete home entertainment solution and completely sidelined the fact that it was essentially a gaming console. Other little foibles like ‘Always on Kinect’, no support for used games and 24 hour internet connectivity managed to anger fans of the Xbox. Sony other hand made sure that its efforts are concentrated on highlighting the gaming credentials of Playstation 4 Price In India (at launch) and #-Link-Snipped-# later. In the due course Microsoft has made up attempts to rectify these mistakes but they came too late.

Finally, making cheaper hardware for the masses

Surface 2 Series 2

I was very excited when Microsoft had introduced the Surface and Surface Pro tablets. Imagine a laptop which is portable, serves your multimedia and work needs, brings Windows operating system and all its familiar and great applications in a small touch-friendly package. Everything seemed fine but Microsoft went too far with the pricing. The prices of Microsoft's Surface 2 & Surface Pro 2 Offer Better Specs To Run Windows 8.1 (that run Windows 8.1) start at $899 (56,263 INR) and go up to $1,799 (112,589 INR) and this not just burns a hole in your pocket, it manages to annihilate it.

The Microsoft - Nokia Acquisition : Is It The Game Plan To Fight Apple & Google? shows how things should be done; the Nokia Lumia 520 is a very good example. The smartphone is the highest selling Windows Phone 8 device all thanks to its competitive pricing and features.

On a side note: Microsoft should immediately stop trying to promote Windows RT devices as well. They do not have the requisite apps or extensive features. The problem with things like Windows RT is that Microsoft is trying to make itself a game changer in the tablet and smartphone market but the trouble is it came too late to the party where Android and iOS are reigning kings.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting post and interesting suggestions. Let me add my own $0.02. I'll begin by commenting on the suggestions you've posted -

1. Firstly, lower license rates and make upgrades cheaper or free

Interestingly, it just doesn't work that way. Lower pricing does not mean greater sales and more profits. Why do people have Windows? Because most of the times it ships with their PC and every software out there runs on Windows. I was a Windows user myself for a long time and hated OSX. Now I'm on OSX and love it. Why? Because my needs are fully taken care of by the operating system and I don't have to worry about copying files to D: or E: . I don't even have to choose which folders I need to install my programs to. Answer: Simplicity!

Microsoft needs to focus on making things simpler so that they continue to rule the desktops and laptops of the regular users.

Plus, they need to make the things 'attractive'. They should launch a spin-off company that will only focus on designing amazing hardware and software, still compatible with all the Windows operating system. The idea should be to attract the 'early adopters' and the 'cool kids' who line up in front of stores to be the 'first ones'.

Selling license at a cheaper price would only mean Microsoft thinks their software is cheap. People didn't buy Tata Nano to the expectations of Tata Motors because no one really wanted to own 'cheapest car'.

Give people something they 'want to use' and are proud of. They'll pay anything for that; and that's where I think profits lie.

2. Secondly, promote Xbox as a gaming console (rather than a ramped up set top box)

Nope. It's too late and their strategy I think was to focus on the first world countries only that have a solid Internet penetration. Despite their branding XBOX ONE as a STB, the console broke all the record sales. That says something. XBOX ONS isn't for the whole world.

3. Finally, making cheaper hardware for the masses

You seem to be obsessed with lower pricing. Why does Apple make more profits than most of the companies around the world for no better hardware? Because they simply get a few things right. They focused on 'Display' & 'Battery Life' and 'Simplicity' than how powerful their hardware is - and that's exactly what people want!

We'll also have to consider what is the major aim for Microsoft & Satya Nadella. I think it is -

Making Microsoft relevant in the new world dominated by mobile devices
    Microsoft has been the software company and it's only recently they realised that they need to control hardware in order to deliver the top-notch experience to the end-users. That's why they bought Nokia!

It's high time that Microsoft launches a 'new' device that'll redefine the way computing happens. I expect that Microsoft should focus on reinventing their strategy and start focusing on Television Sets & Wearable Computing. They already have XBOX knowledge and Nokia's hardware capabilities. Why not do something explosive for the TVs and Wearable Devices?

That should put Microsoft on the right path. I'll add more points later.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The reason why I am focused on lower prices is taking into account the success story of Samsung. Even though, they have the most terrible of hardware people buy its sub Rs. 20K devices in loads because its rather cheap as compared to LG or HTC device and it is backed by a trusted name.

You raised the question about the product not being so cheap that the people think it like the next Tata Nano, I am not saying they make it dirt cheap they can put a healthy price tag. A Windows 8 license can cost something around Rs. 4000 or Rs. 5000.

I second your opinion about simplicity. Latest Windows releases have managed to shake the faith of hardcore Windows fanatics since they were too complicated. When Windows 8 was launched people were quite pissed to lose the Start button.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - I believe Samsung makes more profits with their Galaxy Sx & Note x devices than they do with others. Don't have the numbers to back my reasoning.

For Windows, Microsoft's major revenues from OS comes from their business customers - the corporates who buy volume licenses. Microsoft allows for piracy because it helps them keep away OSX, uBuntu and others from the desktkops.

Simple & Beautiful - should be their key objective.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    How about making Windows open-source and be on the positive side of the vast community?! 😘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pensu
    How about making Windows open-source and be on the positive side of the vast community?! 😘
    The vast community does not care whether Windows is open-sourced or closed source. They just want something that works.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    It seems Satya Nadella has taken my advice. 😁

If reports from #-Link-Snipped-# are to be believed Microsoft will be selling Windows 8.1 licences at $15 to manufacturers for devices that cost less than $250. This is almost 70% less than the existing price of $50. While Microsoft has not confirmed any of this, analysts from the Bloomberg say that this is Microsoft’s attempt to recover the market share it has lost to low-cost tablets and Google Chromebooks. They also blame the slow adoption of Windows 8.1 among masses as another reason. #-Link-Snipped-# draws our attention to the past when Microsoft had reduced the price of Windows XP successfully combat Linux netbooks.

So software becomes cheaper, will hardware prices drop too? Lets wait and watch.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I am feeling flattered as Mr. Nadella has again taken my suggestion 😉 this time involving low cost hardware. Just a day after reducing license fees, Microsoft has stated in #-Link-Snipped-# that they will be helping their hardware partners build low cost hardware which will bring Windows experience at competitive prices. This will mean that the Surface will remain a top end product and other OEMs will design cheaper hardware for masses.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I am feeling flattered as Mr. Nadella has again taken my suggestion 😉 this time involving low cost hardware.
    Is it because you both have the same first names? 😘😒👀
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Anoop Mathew
    Is it because you both have the same first names? 😘😒👀
    Like people say "he is my brother from another mother". 😨

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

From the past few years, mankind has been plagued with very serious issues, one of them being a continuously declining farm output coupled with a growing urban population. One of...
GNOME Music App for GNOME DE, is still under development. It's still under development & thus many features are still not added & not working. It's bit buggy too. But,...
how a 4G technology actually working in cell phone?
kindly help me, i've enteren my last name in middle name and intial at the last, what can I do?
Bajaj Auto has unveiled its new U Car concept at the Delhi Auto Expo in India. Based on the last year's flagship vehicle concept called Bajaj RE60, the Bajaj U...