Hotel "Henn Na" Run Entirely By Robots @ Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park In Japan

Japan's Huis Ten Bosch theme park will soon have a hotel named "Henn Na", run mostly by robots. If you do not like humans, this hotel would guarantee the isolation that you deserve on this planet dominated by homo sapiens. Scheduled to open on July 17 this year, the hotel goes by the motto "A commitment for evolution", informed Huis Ten Bosch Co. Ltd., the company that operates the theme park. Henn in Japanese refers to 'change' and needless to say, it's going to be one of the most unique places to visit.

Everything in the hotel will be controlled by robots. As soon as you arrive, a porter robot will collect your luggage. The front desk robot will offer you the most pleasing welcome and the doors of the room will open using face recognition technology. Room cleaning services will also be handled by robots. Of course, the cooking is likely to be managed by Robots Learn To Cook By Watching YouTube Videos. Entire process will be automated to keep the operating costs low and ensure comfort to the customers.

Henn-Na-Hotel-Japan
Architect's illustration of the hotel| Image Credit: KYODO / Japan Times ​

The company president, Hideo Sawada aims to make Henn Na the most efficient hotel in the world. The company says they are currently working on making 90% of the operations and maintenance handled by robots. The offer is going to be an affordable one, with a single room priced at ¥7,000 (~$60)/night. The twin room will charge ¥9,000 (~$77) per night. The first building of the hotel is expected to operate with 72 rooms and the next building will add another 72 rooms in 2016-17.

We're curious to know how many of you would like to stay in this hotel.

Source: Huis Ten Bosch theme park to get hotel staffed by robots | The Japan Times

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's a really interesting name for a hotel. Since I am a Japanese language student since the last few years, I would like to point that 'Hen' (no need for the extra n actually) means change. It also means something unusual or strange.
    変 -> Read as 'hen', it's a very interesting word. It could mean peculiar, queer, eccentric, suspicious, funny etc.

「これは大変だ!」 “Kore wa taihen da!” “This is a catastrophe!”.

I believe they wanted to attract the strangeness of the hotel even in its name. Seeing robots everywhere from the waiters to porters to cooks, 'Hen!' is the first word japanese people might utter. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and the robots would love to play the music... "You can check out any time, but you can never leave".
  • y0oo
    y0oo
    Ankita Katdare
    That's a really interesting name for a hotel. Since I am a Japanese language student since the last few years, I would like to point that 'Hen' (no need for the extra n actually) means change. It also means something unusual or strange.
    変 -> Read as 'hen', it's a very interesting word. It could mean peculiar, queer, eccentric, suspicious, funny etc.

「これは大変だ!」 “Kore wa taihen da!” “This is a catastrophe!”.

I believe they wanted to attract the strangeness of the hotel even in its name. Seeing robots everywhere from the waiters to porters to cooks, 'Hen!' is the first word japanese people might utter. 😀
    Actually, 変な is typically used to mean "strange," "weird," or "obscure," especially colloquially. It is used here differently than just "変." While the double-n spelling is strange when thinking in terms of romaji, the hotel's website lists Henn Na Hotel as its English spelling, which may refer to the fact that when you type Japanese using romaji on a western keyboard, you type the 'n' twice ('henn') to spell out the word. Try it!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for clarifying. I mostly use apps and google input tools on the web to type my Japanese short essays. And these apps let you type 変 with just a single n and a spacebar to generate kanji from the hiragana. I am guessing that Henn here is used just so that the foreigners give a stress on the 'n' part while pronouncing the word.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have not attended any placement drive which does not have aptitude. Although i strongly feel it should not be so. I mean there can be times when some people...
The latest Celkon Mobiles smartphone is being promoted as the cheapest selfie phone. Running on Android v4.4.2 (KitKat) operating system, the Celkon Millennia ME Q54 smartphone is powered by a...
Project Abstract / Summary : Our project idea is to provide medical details for past reference of patients medical details to his future generation along with the predication of diseases...
As we see daily there is news of some big brands getting hacked,no matter how much security they add ,Any of big hacking groups manage to hack them i.e. thepiratebay...
After the launch of Iris X1 Grand, Iris X1 Mini and Iris Alfa smartphones in January, the Indian smartphone maker company, Lava International Ltd., has unveiled Lava Iris X8 as...