17 generators
4+ billion kilowatt hours produced each year
10 acres of floor space

Power used by:
56% California
25% Nevada
19% Arizona
Lake Mead
6.5 years to fill (A slow filling process was required to lessen the pressure change on the dam and to help prevent small earthquakes due to land settlement.)
589 feet (181 m) at the deepest point
247 square miles in size
110 miles (176 km) long
Largest man made reservoir in the United States
source:#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Boy! I've always wondered, how do they really start constructing any dam? I mean, what's the first phase of construction?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    First is digging another tunnel through which the water can flow and dewatering the area of construction. This is what I learnt from some dam construction. the flow of water into the main channel is prevented by building a cofferdam (just a temporary dam).
    Then the normal construction is carried on 😀
  • Feather
    Feather
    What my friend here is saying is right. To build a Dam the engineers must first de-water the part of the river valley in which they wish to place the dam. This is usually achieved by diverting the river through a tunnel. The tunnel is built through one side of the valley around the planned construction area. A series of holes is drilled in the rock. Explosives are placed in the drill holes, blasting takes place and broken rock is then removed. This procedure is repeated many times until the tunnel is completed. Diversion tunnels are often lined with concrete.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://fora.tv/series/design_for_the_unexpected
Hi all I am working as a SAN(Storage Area Network) Administrator in IBM. I have been working in this domain for 6 months now. I have an offer of ASE...
Hey guys, am doing a project in welding... Two set of welds .... After testing, i will get any one of the set with superior quality, but how do i...
wants to get the mechanism behind a car working on a chemical reaction.
Why there is no Circuit breaker in Bus PT feeder? In our system, interlock is given such that if any fault in Bus PT, then it opens the Incoming Bus...