Hitachi Working On The World’s Fastest Elevator; Est. Speed 72km/hr

Hitachi’s Elevator division has announced their plans to build the world’s fastest elevator for the Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre in China. The proposed elevator is expected to have a speed of 72 km/h (1,200 m/min) and will be able to scale the entire length of the building from 1st to the 95th floor in 43 seconds. For this elevator Hitachi has successfully developed a permanent magnet synchronous motor with a thin profile that delivers the power needed for the immense speed. To reduce the load on the traction machine the main elevator rope has been made thinner without compromising its strength. Hitachi assures that in the worst case scenario of an elevator free fall its braking system shall perform impeccably as it can withstand high temperatures caused by heat resistance.

Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre
Artist's Impression of Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre ​

One of the side effects of high speed altitude gain is the sensation of ear blockage. You might have experienced this while taking off in an aircraft. To make sure that the people in the elevator car do not suffer the same fate, Hitachi's proprietary air pressure adjustment technology minimises the air pressure changes caused by rapid ascension. To make sure that your short journey on the elevator is comfortable Hitachi has added four active guide rollers that minimise lateral vibration. Including two of these high speed elevators Hitachi has promised to deliver 95 elevators for the Guangzhou CTF Finance Centre which shall be ready for the public by 2016.

Are you excited about the speed of Hitachi’s elevator? Let us know in the comment section below.

Source: News Releases : April 21, 2014 : Hitachi Global via Hitachi to build 'world's fastest' lift in China - BBC News

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    😨 I think what's more important to know is how will the elevator accelerate and decelerate along with whether a single lift will travel all the 95 floors. I'm starting another discussion to discuss possible use of maglev principle in elevators.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    😨 I think what's more important to know is how will the elevator accelerate and decelerate along with whether a single lift will travel all the 95 floors. I'm starting another discussion to discuss possible use of maglev principle in elevators.
    The press release just covers the basic information about the elevator, it seems Hitachi does not want to give away any detailed information about its new creation until its public release.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Loved the tech used to remove the changing pressures on your ears.

BBC has mentioned that - The building will have in total 95 lifts, 2 of which will be operate at the ultra-high speed. 28 "double-decker" lifts will also be installed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering about possible use of magnetic levitation (maglev) principle in elevators used in high-rise buildings and skyscrapers. The idea is that if the powerful magnets can lift up a...
Test. this is from some other site, don't know if i could link it. need a nod to post further details about it. Thanks Admins for the RSS.
plzzzz suggest me a simple new idea...i want do .net based project..
AngelHack Hyderabad Spring 2014 is one of the largest hackathons ever to happen in Hyderabad. With over 600 regisrations in 2013, AngelHack is back with its Spring 2014 edition from...
A research team from a group of universities in Japan has come up with a great solution to the problems associated with the currently used commercial vacuum UV lamps. The...