hi everybody

hi
i am Nikhil.
i am a mechanical engineer and working in the field of marine engineering for last 12 yrs.
I am in subsea construction field.
My hobbies are fabricating model steam and stirling engines.
I am here to find out if there are any similar hobbyist in this forum.
By the way i am 35 yrs old and not 12 yrs old as pointed out by a smart member in other forum.

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Welcome to CE!! 😀
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Welcome. By subsea construction, do you mean Oil rigs and like? Or gas/telecom pipelines?
  • n1kh1l
    n1kh1l
    Shashank Moghe
    Welcome. By subsea construction, do you mean Oil rigs and like? Or gas/telecom pipelines?
    yes oil platforms and pipelines.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Exciting field!
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    So why steam engines and sterling engines? it's like reinventing things over and over. So much time and money has been put into those two fields with no results to the social needs of your country. Focus on putting your precious time into something worthy. Your a smart man. Do something smart.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It's a pleasure to have you with us at the community #-Link-Snipped-# Looking forward to your posts on going discussions. Do not hesitate to start new discussions.
    You will love the CE family.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Welcome to CE community.
  • n1kh1l
    n1kh1l
    Don Ross
    So why steam engines and sterling engines? it's like reinventing things over and over. So much time and money has been put into those two fields with no results to the social needs of your country. Focus on putting your precious time into something worthy. Your a smart man. Do something smart.
    Hi Don
    You are right in a way.
    Steam and stirling engines are very old inventions. Infact stirling engines were invented before steam engines. And the engineering text books only have passing reference to them.
    But one thing that makes them great are that they are external combustion engine. So any thing that burn can be used to run them. we dont need expensive petrol or diesel or jet fuel for them.
    Stirling engine is the only engine that can reach Carnot efficiency, at least theoretically.
    Just imagine if any one is able to make an affordable stirling engine of 1-2 kW power how beneficial it will be for our country.
    All the farmers can use it in fields to pump water or do any number of things. No need for electricity that is anyway not available in most of the villages.
    Stirling engines are used by NASA and US military even today.
    In India we have lost our genes to innovate. whatever the west do we just blindly follow.
    And besides when you get bitten by this bug for modelling engine there is no cure for it.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    I understand and hope some day that the sterling engine could be the answer. It is just to costly to build unfortunately. But we must be realist in our endeavors. Dean Kamen has dumped a lot of his wealth into this application and has redesigned it totally. But it's just a pipe dream, being to costly even for Americans.
    Hobbies are nice but creative actions with real benefits is the only answer. I don't see high tech as getting power into the fields of your country. Building power plants, roads and sewerage facilities will. Base a hobby on that. Sorry I am disillusioned today.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BirlaSoft Off Campus Drive - 2014 Off Campus Drive 2014 Batch Designation: Associate Engineer Salary: Rs 3.4 Lacs per annum (CTC) No Bond Job Location: Hyderabad Branch : B.E. /...
The company 'Atamjeet' specializes in creating paper models of real machines completely using just paper and glue. A dream turned into reality for Atamjeet Singh Bawa, who builds state-of-the-art paper...
A laser device the size of a rice-grain, that uses one-billionth of the electric power a hair dryer needs, has been built by Princeton University researchers in their attempt to...
After hair restoration it is now time for wrinkle removing by phototherapy. Quote: Apira Science, makers of the iGrow, the only FDA approved light-powered hair restoration system, will soon be...
hi friends. i am currently doing my bachelors degree in electronics and communication engineering and i am planning to appear for 2016 GATE exams. which book can i buy so...