Help with HDD partitioning, Linux installation while keeping Win XP

hi all,
wish u a very happy and prosperous new year!
here's my problem...
i have an old pc,with only 40GB HDD...
RAM - 512MB
i have win xp installed in it.
antivirus -avg 8.0
i am really frustrated with viruses!!
How abt installing linux?pls tell me a good version and tell me how to partition hd. i need win xp too....

awaiting your valuable replies...
varma

Replies

• sumitjami
    sumitjami
    Re: linux installation

hi Varma thankyou and happy new year to u too
    for using linux what u will need is some 9-10GB of space ........for creating this psace you will have to first of all empty empty a drive from which u can provide a space then to create the partion follow the follwing steps

1>Right click on My Computer>Manage.

2>A new window will open up, in the pane on the left of that window click on storage>"Disk Management".....

3>u will be able to see the a list of drives on ur pc.

4>left click on the drive from where u will be providing the space for linux and then left click on it.

*****{note:-be sure to ur selection coz we will be formatting the specific drive and all the data on the drive will be lost}

5>click on the "delete partition" option accept the warning and now the drive will be removed and u will be able to unpartitioned space in the diagram.

6>right click on the unpartitioned space and select to create new drive

7>Create a new drive such that only 9-10GB is left and remaining space is unused for the new drive ..............once this is through u are successfully done creating partition.
    *****MAKE SURE U R READY FOR IT, COZ IT WILL INVOLVE FORMATTING OF A DRIVE,SO DO BACKUP UR IMPORTANT DATA AND AND DO NOT GO FOR ANYTHING IN CASE OF ANY CONFUSION...........
    ********************************************************************************************************************😁
  • varma
    varma
    Re: linux installation

thank u so much....can u pls suggest me a good linux too..#-Link-Snipped-#
  • nileshchakkar
    nileshchakkar
    Fedora 9.0
  • nileshchakkar
    nileshchakkar
    One more meathod insert windows xp cd then press any key too boot from cd then you get message of all drives then you can choose any drive for linux.
    My best suggestion is to make 4 drives
    C: xp 10 gb
    d: 10 gb
    e: 15 gb
    f: f gb linux (its more than sufficient)
    raw a one drive by formating it when u insert winxp cd.
    Now you can install linux by default at this free space of 5 GB
  • sumitjami
    sumitjami
    fedora is good one but at the same time u can go for RedHat also the Ubuntu version is also good ..............one more thing i heard that if u want the free home delivery of the of Ubuntu version u just need to register on their site and request them for it ........i heard of it but never tried........if u wish u can go on..........
    😁😁😁Proud to be an
  • nileshchakkar
    nileshchakkar
    Yah Ubuntu is also a very good O.S.
  • cse_200509
    cse_200509
    why forget fedora 10!!! it is now available for public.
    you can get it here:
    Fedora Project - Get Fedora: Desktops, Other Formats, Spins, Cloud Images, ARM or Secondary Arches.
    And...And..the methods told above are "raw", as they create free space and then selecting "USE FREE SPACE". thats good. but if u dare u can create partitions manually.
    for example:
    if u want to use Vector Linux, a light weight (128 mb RAM is enough) & Slackware based or Slackware itself
    they have a MS-Windows like utility to create partitions.
    you can get Vector here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys ,this is quite urgent..... one of my friend working at satyam requires a project idea on designing.. as many other topics which he was very familiar like designig...
hi, i have decided to build a stress meter as my mini project. as this will be very useful to people now a days i have taken this decision. please...
any 1 has notes on these things??? πŸ˜• HAPPY NEW YEAR 09 TO ALL CRAZY ENGINEERS..😁
Hey!!just was interested to know about the difference between a USA and UK masters degree(in any field) with regards to Job prospects and future career?
hi to all.. i'm newbie here... ahm... could anyone giv me some existing topics and some info that is useful to society...more about, mechatronics,industrial...machine that is useful....thnx in advance...