[HELP] measurement of body height with java. method

first, sorry for my bad english 😛

i have an idea for my project, i want to detect human height from photo (digital).
if the distance from my camera to the object is "X"
i want the X is random, or we can take a pic from anywhere. even it is not full body, but the head must be taken.

anyone can help me to have the method?
thank you so much

for the next step i already have the concept, 😁

Replies

• simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I am unable to understand what you want. I am assuming that you have choice to fix the distance "X".
    |\
    H| \
    | \
    | \
    -----
    X

Fix up at an angle theta, I would do it at 45 degrees, thus making distance "X", height of the object.
    This may not be feasible.

So you need to calculate your angle somehow, use angle=arctan(h/x).
    You will get the height.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    dastoy
    i have an idea for my project, i want to detect human height from photo (digital).
    I'm very skeptical that this can be done.

But if you have enough data, maybe you can find a ratio that is consistent across most people.
    That is, if you have 10000 pictures of various people and you know their heights, you could measure
    their facial height and width and distance between the eyes, etc. Then divide each measurement
    by their body height and see how consistent the answers are.

If you can find such a constant ratio, you have only to make the same measurement on the unknown
    person's picture and multiply by your average constant ratio to get the height.

As I say, I doubt you'll find a correlation, but that's the only potential solution I can think of.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I'm very skeptical that this can be done.
    Actually its pretty simple and accurate.

All you need to know is focal length of the camera you are using and the distance of the person from camera. The best way is to take the camera to a distance such that the image of the person is from head to Leg. i.e. Head touches the top part of the image.

Then it is a simple formulae
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    Rupam Das
    Actually its pretty simple and accurate. ...such that the image of the person is from head to Leg... Then it is a simple formulae
    dastoy
    ... even it is not full body, but the head must be taken. ...
    My understanding is that the OP needs to estimate height from just a head photo, with no legs visible.
    That's the part that I'm skeptical about--not the trigonometry of calculating the size of something visible in a photo.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers investigate heat- and light-emitting walls | News | The Engineer
» 7 Little Things That Make Life Effortless :zenhabits
I am keen tto interact with those having good experience in designing glider models of different kind. 😁
.. but their cheap publicity and marketing tactics(read here), filing patents infringements against Apple as response to cases filed by Apple (of course they already lost one while Apple won...
Google Translate for Android now enables you to translate speech back and forth between 14 different languages. It is available on Android market. You have to speak into your phone’s...