{HELP} If we want to close bank account of someone who turns from minor to major

Hi there

Suppose a person is having a bank account as a minor, under a guardian, now suppose the person turns more than 18, but he want to close his account.

Is it compulsory to first transfer the account to Major from Minor .

Is there any rule as per RBI or what..

Please reply ASAP

Any kind of help is appreciated.

#-Link-Snipped-# Sir, could you help in this regard?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# any help?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like you'll have to contact the bank. I've absolutely no clue.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# any help?
    Sorry, I also have no clue about such rules.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Never been in this situation.
    Here is SBI faq on when child reached to 16years:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    see: For Jumbo Junior Instant Access Account
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, as per my knowledge bank like Canara Bank (particularly Govt. one ) have no such rules.

HDFC bank is simply harassing me for such stuff...

I'm really very disappointed with their service.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    One more thing, after closing one account, I was issued Manager's cheque, then later, after I submit it another bank, the cheque was bounced.

Obviously I was penalized. Could I do something regarding this, and get my penalty back too.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Once you become major, you automatically become the sole authority of the account unless it was a joint account. The guardian protection wears off. You can just go to the bank and ask to close the account.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nayan Goenka
    Once you become major, you automatically become the sole authority of the account unless it was a joint account. The guardian protection wears off. You can just go to the bank and ask to close the account.
    But I think the same account in converted to Major. I did with my other bank.

But HDFC says, that this account would be closed and my account no. would also be changed.

Plus, I want to close my account, then why should we anyway upgrade it to a major account .
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    it automatically upgrades. In minor account, your guardian is also your signatory. Once you cross your 18, you give an application saying I am adult now, treat it as major. So you become authorized signatory and the guardian is out of picture. Then you can do anything you want. Its not upgrading or anything. Just changing the signatory stuff.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian Government within 100 days plans to float policy that establishes broadband connectivity as a basic fundamental right like education and health. The policy lists several affordable options in which...
How can you get ten horses into nine stables, one per stable? This is not some mathematical stuff, just think out of the box. Think laterally and have fun
We Indian Engineers are really proud of getting a seat in IIT. The tag we give the IITians. and the way the IIT students handle themselves in the society talks...
Read each line aloud without making any mistakes. If you make a mistake you MUST start again without going any further. This is this puzzle This is is puzzle This...
I have what remains of my Dad's old Panasonic Hi-Fi System which he used in Kuwait:- 1> 2 numbers of Super Woofers Model No.: SB-AK57 Impedance: Total 6 ohms Input:...