Have you become more forgetful by relying on smartphone and Google?

Just about a minute ago, I quickly added an important task I need to do on Monday to my Google Calendar. It syncs up with my mobile phone's notification system and will give me an alert exactly at 9:00 AM, as scheduled. I know it will work because I'll be carrying my mobile around and machines don't forget.

A thought crossed my mind that I'm becoming more forgetful by relying on smartphone and Google. If there's something I know can be searched on Google - I'll not bother about remembering it. If there's something I must not forget, I trust machines more than my own brain.

What about you?

Replies

• Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    Well, I still use landline phones more than mobile. I note my schedules on diary first and then set on my Windows pc or mobile.
    but yes I depend on Bing search or maps for most of the times. Dictionary and books are stalked up without use bcoz most of basic things we get from web search.

Just Imagine! A Day without Internet and Mobile Phones.
    Can we survive for ONE day?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What about you?
    I'm pregen. Some say prehistoric. I write it down. My schedule is not that busy anyway. What are secretaries for?
    Paper and pencil help a lot.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I've got several meetings every week at various times of the day, and ever changing tasks, so for that I'd definitely need reminders. I think human's have become so overloaded with data these days that we need aids to help us remember and process these info.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    I write it down
    Well, I think the 'base' is still the same - you are using notepad, I'm using Google. The only difference is that you've to check the diary in the morning or every few hours (depending upon your task list) and my phone does it for me, automatically.

#-Link-Snipped-# - Yeah, I guess it could be the nature of work that may make the dependence on automation necessary.

I'm concerned that all of it is just making us more forgetful these days.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am using sticky notes. I have tried using Google Notes and other similar apps for the same task. However, I never get that feel which I get after completing the task and tick marking it with my marker. I am kinda weirdo tho, I do keep my old notes just to check on my performance and consistency.
    Now, I need a white board. I seriously need it, to jot my brain's thought in it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Abhishek Rawal
    Now, I need a white board.
    I read it first as a white beard and thought that I could easily get one if I stop shaving. Now that I read it right, I am one of the few in the corporate office that has one (white board, I mean).
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Now, I need a white board. I seriously need it, to jot my brain's thought in it.
    Yep! I'm a whiteboard kind of person too. Got one in my uni hostel room, and every time I join a new company, I requested for a dedicated large whiteboard for me & my team. I don't get why they don't use it before.
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    I am fan of windows onenote and quicknotes feature. its smoothly works and reminds perfectly.
    well note down important stuff on paper diary is always a secure backup as I think depending on only digital things can be dangerous.
  • RINKU RADHAY
    RINKU RADHAY
    It depends the way you use it
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Probably we need to focus on other thing rathaer than remembering what are on the list or when is the meeting.
    On the matter of remembering things... We use to remember phone number because we dial it over and over again.
    Now we need to remember the person name 😉 to call them, out of his/her 3-4 numbers.

I use Google Keep for reminders and notes. I extensively used it for my trips. Making lists, tick packed items and use the same list while chechouts.
    It rules out any possibility to forget something. Just remember to check the Google Keep.
    But yes..I also use some offlines list and reminders.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the position of samsung in world .how people take its product and others..
Hi friends, I need some ideas 4 my mechatronics mini project send me topic plzzzz....
Free courses from COURSERA: https://www.coursera.org/specializa...bEBHUEIQEeWY6p0s1m-c3w~bEBHUEIQEeWY6p0s1m-c3w
Not many people know that the Tadoba - Andhari National Park remains open for the guests even during the monsoon season. I planned a surprise for my family last weekend...
Reliance Jio is leaving no stone unturned for a big bang launch of their 4G services in India by December this year. Yesterday, on the eve of India's Independence Day,...