Have 'Toys' helped develop your thinking skills? Yes or No?

As children, we all might have played with toys. But have you ever thought about the impact these toys had in your life?

You may be a male who was once fond of those building blocks made by companies like LEGOs, or a huge fan of model cars like the ones made by Hot Wheels; or you may be a girl who was fond of Barbie dolls or Toy Animals and used to spend a lot of time with it.

As we advance into the early teenage, these toys get converted into tech toys. Model cars got converted into remote controlled ones, and even there were helicopters and air-planes, and trainsets; and barbie dolls got converted into make-up kits and I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Even those LEGOs building blocks got converted into a form of sand-castle along the beach, or just art made out of empty perfume/soap/film-roll covers!

So how much have these 'Toys' helped in stirring your imagination? How many of you have taken the passion further on and accomplished it into careers?

Let us know what intrigues you even today that was once part of your childhood 'toy' collection.

Have 'Toys' helped develop your thinking skills? Yes or No?

Discuss!

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I love cars and beyblade toys especially i tried to incorporate many things without knowing technical cause or effect.I love experimenting and i love to make toys out of trash.
    hats off to Pogo Rob and Aravindguptatoys.com.
    I miss them a lot.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The best days of my childhood were spent playing with "mechanix" a steel construction kit made by Zephyr.

This kit was my mini university and it sparked of in me a passion for engineering.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I miss my building blocks and toy-cars. I would picture episodes of stunt scenes and other plain fantasies which made me the movie-buff-trying-to-write-a-movie today. Surprisingly I used to have a fantastic toy camera and also an intriguing mobile phone which are now part of my hobby and work respectively!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Here are some toys that are however inappropriate:

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I loved Lego building blocks. Would spend hours with my kit. Would actually lose track of time. I still love making stuff out of my 2 year old niece's blocks.
    It made me believe that I could grow up to be either a civil engineer or an architect. (I still hope to be able to construct something life size in this lifetime)

Another best thing for me was jigsaw puzzles. Always wanted for more complex ones with 300 or 500 pieces. It was fun, trying to make the picture without an image as an aid.

I can't pin point which skills it developed in me, but the feeling of accomplishment at the end of these pass times were out of this world back then.

PS: #-Link-Snipped-# Just curious to know is there any particular reason why you have been thinking a lot about what is inappropriate for the kids in society today?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Ankita Katdare
    PS: #-Link-Snipped-# Just curious to know is there any particular reason why you have been thinking a lot about what is inappropriate for the kids in society today?
    I've been thinking about this #-Link-Snipped-# before, but that more on another related topic. Just that it was now that I've got some great pointers to add to this topic through these videos. Something everyone should think about as we age and gradually become parents.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Sure did! For me such toys were Metal Mecano and Brainvita (not sure if this qualifies as a toy).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    😁 I loved Brainvita too. Can leave one marble in the end even if you wake me up at 2:00 am.

That's what it looked like -

[​IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    😁 I loved Brainvita too. Can leave one marble in the end even if you wake me up at 2:00 am.

That's what it looked like -

[​IMG]
    ...What's the big deal with leaving one marble at the center? Anyone can do that 😉
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    While I did have "toys" I mostly dreamed out of the box and delighted in making my toys ei tree houses, spears, swords, real boats, camping stuff, especially I learned not to want of what others had in sweets and gifts. I thrifted my ski's, skates, sports gear all hand me downs, Then came the go carts that I built from scratch, my first motor cycle that didn't work and I fixed it, my first car that was smashes and I hammered the front end out, My mind always looking to leverage and not look at the other person but meet my own expectations. I created the toys and games and was the leader of my follies. So I'm not sure if a lack of toys takes away or enhance the mind. Take the toy gun from a boy and he uses a stick. The true born cut of the person is the cut of who they really are.
    But to answer the first lead question, Yes we learn from toys where ever they come from.

Here's out of the box thinking, January is bad on cash flow for me and I ran out of oil. So it's 50 degrees in here and my boots are wet from a days work. So I put them on the only trickle type heat I had, my PC, lol.
    I report to you that my boots are quite dry, lol.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Crittercism, a mobile application performance management solution company based out of San Francisco has conducted a study to find out the variables that determine the performance of a mobile app....
Ask Narendra Modi, Arvind Kejriwal and Rahul Gandhi to agree to a national debate before the elections! Arvind Kejriwal has already agreed. I welcome this petition. Open debates on core...
It is now possible to use your home computer to help in scientific research aimed at powering a climate model that can determine the reasons behind drought and high temperature....
Ground-breaking research at University of Buffalo has opened doors for engineers to new possibilities in field of thermal energy, solar power and energy conversions. The paper titled “Broadband absorption engineering...
Bajaj auto’s new Pulsar 150NS was caught on camera, while a road test was going on. Rumors about Pulsar 150NS and 180 NS were around since beginning of this year....