Has the smartphone industry peaked innovation?

It looks to me that the smartphone industry has already peaked the innovation curve. Apart from bigger RAM and better/faster processor (none of which is put to full use by 99% of the people), we don't see anything refreshingly new coming from the leaders. Most of them have already focused their attention on smaller and wearable devices like smartwatches.

Would love to know your thoughts and opinions on this. Do you think we're still to achieve the peak or do you agree with me?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    When servers will be running on handheld devices, I would call it 'peak'.
    'Till then lot more improvements needed for handheld devices & I believe that will only start once Phonebloks is successfully booted.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    All that we see them launching is various form-factors and if that's not enough, there's the recent 'curved/foldable design' mania that had hit so many big tech giants.

Some people thought that may be 'mobile payments' are the next big thing, but those experiments haven't yet proven to be much fruitful.

The only thing worth looking forward to immediately is extended battery life.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    When servers will be running on handheld devices, I would call it 'peak'.
    'Till then lot more improvements needed for handheld devices & I believe that will only start once Phonebloks is successfully booted.
    Servers running on handled devices isn't the peak - if you are thinking in that direction. you will then ask for all the servers running on handheld devices to act as a cloud together.

Essentially, the makers are trying to reduce the computer in size and calling it a smartphone.
  • Bhargav P A
    Bhargav P A
    #-Link-Snipped-# - As you said, According to me all devices are having some template sort of a thing.
    Flagship Devices. (S5, Z3, oneplus one, moto x2, nexus 6 etc)
    Processor -Qualcomm Snapdragon 800/801/805/808 and 810(upcoming 64 bit Processors)
    Ram - 2/3 GB. Samsung recently started mass producing 4 GB RAMs as per trusted sources.
    Display - 1080p, 2K usually samsung and moto uses AMOLED, and others High Quality LCDs from LG or JDI.
    Storage - 16/32/64/128 GB with or without MicroSD.

Mid Range Devices.
    Processor -Qualcomm Snapdragon 400/410 and 610(64 bit already is usage but very less) and MediaTech Processors
    Ram - 1/2 GB.
    Display - 720p/1080p samsung and moto uses AMOLED, and others use TFT or IPS LCDs
    Storage - 8/16 with or without MicroSD.

Low Range Devices.
    Processor -Qualcomm Snapdragon 200/400 and MediaTech Processors
    Ram - 512mb/1gb
    Display - 720p/540x960p
    Storage - 4/8/16 with or without MicroSD.

The main area where mobile tech is not concentrating is Battery Performance. The main area where most companies are concentrating on Camera Tech after Nokia Stunned whole world with its DSLR quality 41MP camera phone, nokia 808 and later lumia 1020.

Still mobile devices(Tablets) cannot replace Laptops. Since Always Intel Processors are way ahead of ARM processors in Computation and Graphics.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bhargav P A
    Still mobile devices(Tablets) cannot replace Laptops.
    ARM Chromebooks are available. More than performance & TDP, problem with ARM in Laptop is app compatibility.

Bhargav P A
    Since Always Intel Processors are way ahead of ARM processors in Computation and Graphics.
    And way ahead in poor TDP & shitty Integrated Graphics.
  • Bhargav P A
    Bhargav P A
    Abhishek Rawal
    ARM Chromebooks are available. More than performance & TDP, problem with ARM in Laptop is app compatibility.

And way ahead in poor TDP & shitty Integrated Graphics.
    Always its quoted as Performance and Battery life are contrast to each other.
    But still Intel has come up with 22nm Bay Trail T processors which has increased performance(both CPU and GPU) and good battery life.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bhargav P A
    Always its quoted as Performance and Battery life are contrast to each other.
    That's the reason why I never want to compare CISC with RISC.

Bhargav P A
    But still Intel has come up with 22nm Bay Trail T processors which has increased performance(both CPU and GPU) and good battery life.
    Intel processors are not mature as ARMs in mobile devices. Qualcomm & Nvidia has always been couple steps ahead in ARM SoC development. By the time Intel will ever reach the current performance & TDP of ARM, companies like Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung will release something even more powerful SoC for Intel to whine for.
  • Bhargav P A
    Bhargav P A
    Ag
    Abhishek Rawal
    That's the reason why I never want to compare CISC with RISC.

Intel processors are not mature as ARMs in mobile devices. Qualcomm & Nvidia has always been couple steps ahead in ARM SoC development. By the time Intel will ever reach the current performance & TDP of ARM, companies like Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung will release something even more powerful SoC for Intel to whine for.
    Agreed....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wear is a bugbear spanning all from artificial knee joints to antenna orienting meachanisms in space stations. Often difficult to detect effects of mechanical wear can cause catastrophies. It is...
Quote: Healthcare workers treating Ebola victims are at a great danger of contracting the disease, as recent events in western Africa have shown. Currently available protective suits tend to require...
Looks like the Chinese phone makers are facing tough challenge from the Indian ones - not in the markets; but in the courts. Following the news of banning and unbanning...
Micromax will announce the much hyped and awaited phone, Micromax Yu tomorrow at Hyatt Regency along with the team from Cyanogenmod team. I got some information about the price of...
This is the first I heard of Kirigami, a Japanese artform similar to Origami. Kirigami involves cutting the material. This study seems to go way beyond an artform and can...