Harvard University Researchers Build Transparent Gel-Based Audio Speaker

Postdoctoral fellows Jeong-Yun Sun and Christoph Keplinger of Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) have developed a gel-based transparent stretchable speaker that can produce sounds from the entire audible spectrum of 20Hz to 20 KHz. The main component of the speaker is a thin sheet of rubber that has been sandwiched between two layers of clear saltwater gel. When a high voltage signal is passed through the speaker it forces the rubber to rapidly contract and these vibrations produce the sounds. Have a look at the video below, where the transparent speaker has been connected with a regular laptop and is playing “Morning” prelude by Peer Gynt.

The main purpose of this experiment was to show the feasibility of ionic conductors. In ionic conductors electrical charges are carried by the ions instead of electrons and since ions are free to move around the conductor, it can be stretched without affecting its resistivity. Previously, ionic conductors used to break down due to unwanted chemical reactions caused by high voltage. To take care of this problem, the researchers from Harvard used the rubber as an insulator which effectively controls the voltage and prevents the harmful chemical reactions. The researchers are hopeful that this ionic conductor will be used to make flexible electronic devices and since they are transparent they will surely optical applications as well. The researchers also state that these ionic devices can be incorporated into biological systems like artificial muscles and skins because the gels used as electrolytes are biocompatible.

Transparent Gel-Based Audio Speaker

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Pretty and best innovation in recent CE feeds.A stretchable snd transparent speaker?
    I bet its going to sale crazy if it was out in market.With little design and good look this speaker can attract youngsters. And its applications in various fields make it an great innovation with possibility of coming to real.How much it can cost if it comes out to market.Is it foldable and how about the durability and life of this speaker?
  • Essakki Rajan
    Essakki Rajan
    cool invention to replace traditional speakers.....will go wild in market!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of my friend has the problem of choosing a career between Testing in a outsourced product development company vs Development in services company.Please provide your valuable opinions in making...
CEans, We're happy to announce that CEan @Nayan Goenka is CEan Of The Month August 2013. Nayan's name has been carved permanently in the CrazyEngineers Hall Of Fame and he...
guys help me out...in doing this stuff. Any links please mention it.
Well, I have decided to come over and post stuff that I manage to collect and learn as I go ahead with my Hadoop practice. This thread will be an...
For other tutorials and index of tutorials in this series click here : Main Thread Hello guys. Once you have an idea of what Hadoop and Big Data really are,...