Happy Pi Day!

March 03 is famous for two things- Albert Einstein's birthday and it's also Pi day.
Wishing a very Happy Pi Day to all!
This year's pi day can be represented as 03.14.15 resembles the figure (3.1415) correct upto 4 decimal places and hence is special. (In fact, next year's pi day would also be special if we take the value up-to 5 decimal digits (3.14159) and round them off making it 03.14.16 😛 )

Here are some fun facts and history about pi:
  • Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
[​IMG]​
  • The first correct formula for pi, based on infinite series was calculated by Madhava-Leibniz Series in Indian mathematics literature.
  • Great Mathematician and Astrologer Aryabhatta too calculated the value of pi (correct upto 5 decimal places) which he used to approximate circumference of Earth. He was also the first to discover that pi is an irrational number and can't be expressed correctly as a common fraction.
  • Zu Chongzhi from China, in 5th century discovered that pi is equal to 22/7 and 355/113.
  • As of 2013, a total of 13.3 trillion (10^13) digits in value of pi have been calculated.
  • The advancement in fields of Mathematics, Geometry, Trigonometry, Astrology, Cosmology, Statistics, Thermodynamics, Number Theory, Electromagnetism etc. would not have been possible without value of pi.
  • The ratio of perimeter to height of The Great Pyramid at Giza comes out be equal to twice the value of pi.
  • Lu Chao holds the Guinness Book of World Record to memorize the the value of pi to 67,890 digits without an error.
  • Several people around the world are highly crazy about this number and are working getting interesting results.
  • Someone has developed this The Pi-Search Page. Yes, there are many more similar seach engines.
  • You can check if your name exists in digits of pi Search For Your Name In The Digits Of Pi | Dr Mike's Math Games for Kids.
pi-search-result​
  • There're several websites for even more facts, more information about pi. If interested, you can #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone... can any one plz tell me how to choose any company or any institute for vocational training...or it will be pleasure if anyone suggest any instituteor company
Hi, Are there builders/contractors who can build a house using gypsum board in Bangalore? Regards SJP1234
I have in my home an air conditioner and his remote controller that control by IR communication so when I touch one command in the remote controller the led of...
Suppose I have a 14 oz insulated thermos. I fill it with water heated to 145°F. After an hour, I measure the water temperature as 135°F. How do I calculate...
Hello Frndzzz, Friendz i want one hypothesis paper related to image processing to present in college . Can any body have such paper plz share with me . i am...