Hackers break into the LHC computer! [via Telegraph]

Hackers have mounted an attack on the Large Hadron Collider, raising concerns about the security of the biggest experiment in the world as it passes an important new milestone.

The scientists behind the £4.4bn atom smasher had already received threatening emails and been besieged by telephone calls from worried members of the public concerned by speculation that the machine could trigger a black hole to swallow the earth, or earthquakes and tsunamis, despite endless reassurances to the contrary from the likes of Prof Stephen Hawking.

Now it has emerged that, as the first particles were circulating in the machine near Geneva, a Greek group had hacked into the facility and displayed a page with the headline "GST: Greek Security Team."

The people responsible signed off: "We are 2600 - dont mess with us. (sic)"

The website - cmsmon.cern.ch - can no longer be accessed by the public as a result of the attack.

Scientists working at Cern, the organisation that runs the vast smasher, were worried about what the hackers could do because they were "one step away" from the computer control system of one of the huge detectors of the machine, a vast magnet that weighs 12,500 tons, measuring around 21 metres in length and 15 metres wide/high.

If they had hacked into a second computer network, they could have turned off parts of the vast detector and, said the insider, "it is hard enough to make these things work if no one is messing with it."
Click for the rest: #-Link-Snipped-#

Thankfully there wasnt much damage to the computer system.. but its a quite shocking to have an experiment being that vulnerable to attack.

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I am surprised they had not foreseen the attack and taken necessary precautions to prevent it. You can't let an experiment of such magnitude be so vulnerable to alien attacks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering, why should the important computers be connected to the Internet? Why did they not keep them on a separate network?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ash
    Click for the rest: #-Link-Snipped-#

Thankfully there wasnt much damage to the computer system.. but its a quite shocking to have an experiment being that vulnerable to attack.

Oh My Gosh!! Do we have any certified hackr who can tell how to avoid these hacking attempts.

-Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'll have them eventually. Mr. Dan Kuykendall, whom we interviewed on CE is a professional hacker. I'll try to get in touch with him and ask him if he could enlighten us.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    I'm wondering, why should the important computers be connected to the Internet? Why did they not keep them on a separate network?
    The affected system is hooked to detectors, which need to send out results to scientists all over the world I suppose. Maybe they could have used the Internet2 backbone the minute they started experimentation instead of the public Internet?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, I need you to plz give me final year project ideas related to Communication Systems, Networking, GSM, WiMAX, VoIP, 3G Technologies or Wireless Sensor Networks. Thanx in advance.
News Source: - [ September 12, 2008] Integrated circuit is 50 years old today | News | Custom PC It’s half a century since the first integrated circuit was demonstrated...
Hi Guys, I've came across this blog which discuss a lot about PCB Layout Design Consideration. Topics: Stray Capacitance High Frequency Input Current Path PCB Components: Via Hole PCB Components:...
😁😒 hi friends, i need an idea about my final year project. plz reply.
hellow guys.m in my 3rd yr EXTC.can any1 help me with abstract of ALAV.i also want suggestions on this topic.